Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Different rear axle hangers for Model A?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by DeepSouthRick, Nov 12, 2008.

1. DeepSouthRick

DeepSouthRick

Getting ready to hang the 9-inch in the Model A project. Sticking with the traditional transverse spring.

Speedway sells mounts that sit on top of the axle.

Other shops sell hangers that locate the spring behind the axle.

So ... why choose one over the other? What's the difference in the final results?

2. JohnEvans

JohnEvans
    from Phoenix AZ

To keep stock W/B you have to extend the frame when you mount spring behind the axle.

3. Fenders

Fenders

If the rear crossmember is in the stock location, you want the rear axle under it, so you want the spring mounts on top of the axle,
    otherwise if the spring is placed behind the axle, the axle will be too far forward......
    ...maybe there's more to this question that I don't understand.....

4. rusted_nut

rusted_nut
    from Arkansas

Speedway sells the brackets for spring behind the axle too. If you use a model "A" spring, you can use these to mount the spring in front of the axle which will not only make the car lower in the rear (as opposed to spring over the axle), but lengthens the wheelbase.

5. Ratty55

Ratty55
    from Frohna,MO

That's what I had to do with mine. I think I extended it 9 3/4 inches. It still maintains the factory wheel base. The amount you'll have to add depends on the brackets you use. The frame would have to be extended whatever the distance from centerline of the axle housing to the center of the new spring shackle perch.
    [​IMG]

The frame still looks like it did from the factory from the outside. Helped lower the back end a lot!
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 12, 2008
  6. DeepSouthRick

DeepSouthRick

Great information & photos! Wasn't sure how much further the behind-the-axle setup would move it, but 9+ inches is more than I expected. I like how much it would lower it, but then having to extend the frame... or keep it on top of the axle and Z the frame... definitely some frame work, one way or the other, to get that drop.

7. Phil1934

Phil1934

'32 -'34 hangers are 6-1/4", '35-'48 are 8-1/4". There's enough metal to shorten another 1". I flopped the hanger to the underside to lower car 3" and I'm welding it to front to move axle back.(not Model A)