Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Different Ford 3 speeds? Explain the difference.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by flatheadfever, Nov 27, 2014.

1. I have a line on a 46 3 speed from a truck which I understand it is the same as a 39 case.
    I have been offered a 52 truck 3sp transmission.
    How different is it from the 46?

2. The '46 would have the "big" 59A type bolt pattern. The '52 should be the later pattern. As far as I know. Is the '46 open drive?

3. for me...the 42 up to 51 or 52 Ford truck 3 speed floor shift models are of the same case type as the earlier 39 down. I've found the 3 speed floor shift units behind the six cylinder's from 48-52....the Vern Tardel book explains how to put the 46-48 car gears in the truck case....

4. that should say found behind 48-52 "truck" 6 cylinder flat heads.....

Register now to get rid of these ads!

5. The 52 is a column shift
    Are any of the parts interchangeable ?

6. the 52 column shift truck transmission is just a car transmission, correct?

7. No, Truck trans has no tailshaft extension.
    Not to muddy the water here, but there is also a HD 3 speed floor shift in that time frame

8. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

Yes, the basic gearbox and internals are shared ..but as noted above the output shaft and tail housing are different.

Ray

9. Bruce Lancaster

Bruce Lancaster
    Member Emeritus

To muddy the waters...pickup through 1950 with normal three speed has innards that interchange into earlier Fords except for the open output shaft and bearing housing. Trans case and design (basic light duty trans) remained the same through 1952 but gears changed tooth pitch so there is NO gear interchange.

10. alchemy

alchemy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Those F-1 trucks are the best place to find the big fork double detent top shift housings. The cases are as heavy duty as they got (not very though), and there are a lot more of F-1's around now than there are '39 Fords with stock transmissions still in them.