Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Differences between 15t and 27t

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by WhiteDevilsCC, May 23, 2012.

1. WhiteDevilsCC

WhiteDevilsCC
    from Spring Tx.

I recently got a 15t fiberglass roadster project, but I can't seem to find much for it. Everything I find is for a 27t. So my questions are what are the major differences between the body's? Do they use the same size frames? And are they really that different if so are there any company's out there that sell stuff for the 15t's? Any help for figuring out what I'm working with will be very appreciated. This is the only pic I have at the moment but maybe it will help. thanks Sorry I meant 27t not 23t
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1337766751.387584.jpg

Last edited: May 23, 2012
  2. The body you have in the photo is a '23-'25 style. I don't know why you were told it was a '15, but it's not.

3. WhiteDevilsCC

WhiteDevilsCC
    from Spring Tx.

Thanks for the info. Now that's a start at figuring out what I have.

4. 1915 was the last of the brass era 1916-25 were similar, 26-7 were mostly a transition to the A

5. Bruce Lancaster

Bruce Lancaster
    Member Emeritus

No! That one is about 1917-1922.
    Overal look is much like '23-5 but there are a lot of subtle differences, not just the windshield but the rise behind the seat and the slightly different turtle deck are giveaways.

6. MrModelT

MrModelT

The body you have does appear to be an earlier '15-'22 styled body. The "Turtle Deck" (trunk) on the later '23-'25 roadsters are a bit different as are the windshield.

A 1915-16 T:

[​IMG]

..a later '23 to '25 Roadster. Notice the difference in the trunk or "turtle deck"

[​IMG]

..and a '26 - '27 roadster...

[​IMG]

7. WhiteDevilsCC

WhiteDevilsCC
    from Spring Tx.

Thanks for the info. I'll be honest and say I had no idea what exactly I got. The car was left to me by my uncle and I thought he always said it was a 15t but maybe I should of listen a little closer. I am planning on redoing it and making it alot more traditional looking as soon as I can get it to Texas. But I was just trying to get a jump on things and find out exactly what it is I'm working with.

8. Marty Strode

Marty Strode

The firewall is 28" wide on a 23-25, 22 and older is considerably more narrow. The turtle deck shown is 22 and older.

9. WhiteDevilsCC

WhiteDevilsCC
    from Spring Tx.

So is the only real difference the width of the firewall? Is the rest of the body the same size?

10. sanfordsotherson

sanfordsotherson
    from So. Cal.

"The car was left to me by my uncle and I thought he always said it was a 15 T"

It is a '15. Or, rather since it's glass, a '15 thru '22. Then there would be the '23 thru '25, and the '26 thru '27 bodies.

11. Heo2

Heo2

15-mid 23 a completly different body from 26 27
    nothing is the same the frame is different higher
    rear crossmember for example to make the car lower
    the wdith of the frame is the same though
    but a stock frame is not interesting on a hotrod
    and i will say parts is as much awailibel as for 26-27

12. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

Does the car have a brass radiator? Back in the seventies for a bit, "T" buckets sprouted all sorts of brass accessories and such, and having the "oldest" (never mind most were glass) was hip. Allot of cars built during that time period were titled as say, '15 cars because that was the brass era. It was sort of a trend within a fad if you will. It didn't seam to mater that the actual content of the car wasn't '15!

Lots of guys in the know have said the turtle deck looks earlier, but after blowing it up to my eyes I see a typical 'glass '23-'25 type turtle. Cowl height would be the next telling deal, because pre '23 had a shorter height than '23-'25 by about 1 5/8". Just the little bit of the cowl I can see in the picture says '23-'25 style body with earlier short stantion windshield. Just my .02!

13. Don's Hot Rods

Don's Hot Rods
    from florida

Definitely that is a 1915-22 style body, 100% sure of that. Now , how is it different from a 27 ? As cars got newer they got bigger, so the 27 is dimensionally larger in most ways than the 1915. They are close, but just enough different that some parts like the frame are different.

Don

Here, I found a picture of my 23 and my 27 bodies stacked. This should give you some idea of the size differences.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 25, 2012
  14. Damn,Mr Modle T cant you post those photo a little bigger??I had to squint to see them...sheesh

15. Ralph

Ralph

The frame won't be the stock one anyway. Likely a generic T-bucket frame made from rectangular tubing. Could be Total Performance or aanother T manufacturer, or could be homemade.
    Ralph

16. WhiteDevilsCC

WhiteDevilsCC
    from Spring Tx.

Thanks guys for the info. Every little bit is helping figure out what I'm working with.