Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Difference between Bias-Ply and Radial

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by customline3859, Aug 13, 2018.

1. With all due respect Sir, but most if not all of these "proofs" you offer seem to provide only examples of rather narrow fields of experiences, not necessarily all encompassing or universally acceptable "facts" I perhaps incorrectly perceived and questioned in your earlier statement.

2. Well, my "beliefs" are mostly based on my personal experiences and observations or what I've learned from those with more (professional ?) experience than I have and can offer convincing* support for their opinion or views.
    I do apologize if any my "beliefs" or "opinions" have been perceived as offerings of "universal facts" and I promise to try harder to avoid coming across like that in the future.

*Call me "conspiracy theorist", but I've been known to question many published articles or test results, especially those in commercially supported publications. Some are and have been childishly easy to prove seriously biased or even flat out misleading, but hey, if it sells magazines or their sponsors (i.e. advertisers) products and put food on the tables of many, who am I to question any of it. :rolleyes:

P.S. One of my personal objectives in life is and has always been to continuously learn more and new things, but this probably has also lead me to question almost everything or often prevents me to take anything some one else claims or says for granted.

Last edited: Aug 17, 2018
  3. razoo lew

razoo lew
    from Calgary

....that’s a lot of quotation marks in a singe response.

Bandit Billy likes this.
  4. dirty old man

dirty old man
    Member Emeritus

'Bout all I can say is what I've experienced in comparing the handling and ride of bias vs radials on my roadster, as my '40 coupe had radials when I bought it and I just lately replaced them with more radials, due to age, and can't compare them as bias vs radials.
    The roadster is a '30/31 "A" Hiboy on '32 frame, dropped axle, Vega cross steering with panhard bar in front and 9" Ford rear on transverse spring, no panhard bar shocks angle mounted about 40*, and I replaced Coker bias plies with Diamondback radials last week. The fronts are 165/80X15R Nanking and the rears are 255/70X15R BFG TA.
    They required only a fraction of the balance weights that were on the bias plies, ride as smooth as you can expect on a straight axle car that weighs 2200#, require less effort at slow roll to steer when parking, etc. I have driven them on all sorts of roads, at least as far as paved ones. Concrete, smooth and worn, Asphalt, smooth and freshly resurface and cracked up surfaces that badly need resurfacing, and at speeds both slow and very fast.
    And the difference is just about unbelieveable, before, unless the road was perfectly smooth and unworn, you had to constantly correct the steering and pay close attention every second. Now you sit back and steer, almost as easy driving as a late model with modern suspension actually tuned to radials.
    Traditional? I guess not, but it's my car and I spent the money and effort to build it, drive it, and maintain it, and the way I see it, the choice is mine.

pitman and RMR&C like this.
  5. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

The following test contains an OT car that many may find disgusting and irrelevent. Mature audiences only. No pictures are posted, no animals were injured and test driving was performed on open roads by an untrained professional driver.

I do my own tests and here is a sample result. I drove a 69 396 Camaro to work today with radial TA's on all 4 corners. Handles great, rides nice, comfy. I have built 28 1st gen Camaros and the last 2 69's (also BBC) had bias ply good years on them ($250 a pop). The look is really cool! The drive? Not so much. Noisy, walks around all over the lane, catches every rut (and paint stripe LOL), changing lanes on the freeway will keep you from getting drowsy on long drives, etc.

Same type car, brand new suspensions, expensive tires, wicked different results. On the right car the look is dynamite! I cant imagine anyone justifying that their car handles better at speed with bias plys than with radials but when it comes to the look on an older car (from the Nixon administration back to Mr. Coolidge), hands down winner is the bias ply.

I did mention a Camaro so feel free to report, delete and repeat as necessary.

deadbeat likes this.
  6. The heck with how they ride and handle ect. I simply want my tires to be round and black and stay inflated . Ive had the belts break on fairly new radials on semi trailers when loaded to 80,000 on a hot day. Going about 60 MPH before I could stop the flapping metal belts destroyed the mud flap and tail lights and damaged part of the trailer. The last trailer was a 48 ft end dump At my requet they installed a set of new Kelley bias ply tires on that trailer. and it followed better and was easier to back up and no more tire problems. Ran them till they became smooth. then regrooved them and ran them until the cords began showing.

7. 117harv

117harv

[​IMG]
    Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    from Austin, TX
    Staff Member

Bias ply. Nothing else should be considered no matter the circumstances.

Muttley, Moriarity and Old wolf like this.
  8. Beanscoot

Beanscoot

I'm still not tired of this debate.

Bandit Billy and Old wolf like this.
  9. dirty old man

dirty old man
    Member Emeritus

Old Wolf, with all due respect, we ain't talking about dump trucks here, we're talking about hot rods.

Bandit Billy likes this.
  10. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

That should be still not "tire"d of this debate:cool:

Roothawg likes this.
  11. 117harv

117harv

I just don't get the posts, bias rides like shit, it's my car I will run what I want, it's not safe, it wanders...etc. No body cares that you like radials, and no one is telling you to run bias, this is a site that celebrates a past time where cars ran bias, see Ryan's quote above.

F@#K your radials, but enjoy them if it's what you like.....

12. Don't matter what its on. When a radial flys apart at normal hwy speed it quite often tears the heck out of stuff.