Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Difference between 49-52 chev ute and sedan chassis?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Morgan91, Feb 2, 2011.

1. Morgan91

Morgan91
    from Australia

This is probably more for the Aussie's.

Are the ute chassis the same as the sedan and coupes? And if so..... How Much difference is there?

because iv got a sedan and Im looking at buying a ute chassis to do up while I'm driving my stock sedan and then drop the body straight on.

Iv done a search and couldn't find anything about them. Also the sedan workshop manaul doesn't say anything about it.

Cheers!

2. I think they are the same. Might be a few small brackets that are different, but otherwise the Utes are car chassis. I think all the car chassis are the same wheelbase and general mounting locations. The 49-52 Chevy Utes use four door front doors and the same front sheetmetal, so that should be the same up front for sure

Not the same car, but my 37 Ford Ute is same as the regular car far as I can tell. Ford Ute is slightly modified from stock with SBF/C4 and has a 9-inch on parallel leafs in rear, but it still has the stock rear crossmember that is only used for shock mounting now. Same basic story for my 37 Chevy Ute frame, although that car is all stock for now.

3. Morgan91

Morgan91
    from Australia

Thanks dude, il try and take some measuments off one if I see one. Anybody els have some input?

4. striper

striper

Far as I know they are the same. Probably much like Holden utes. They had station wagon floor pans under the bed.

5. Morgan91

Morgan91
    from Australia

This is true but the Holden utes (fx,fj) have two chassis rails running the length of the ute, and the sedans don't. (the only reason I know this is because dad drilled a set of the ute rails off and welded them to to his fx sedan to stiffen it up for the mustang 301 that he put in it back when he was a youngen)

6. Morgan91

Morgan91
    from Australia

bumpity (any more info guys)

7. WTF?????????????????????????:confused::confused:

as for the origional question, honestly i have no idea but itll be interesting to know

8. Morgan91

Morgan91
    from Australia

Fx and fj holdens were mono constructed so they had no separate chassis, the utes how ever have to larger "chassis rails" spot welded to the floor pan/sub frame.