Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Dielectric grease usage?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by lothiandon1940, May 28, 2015.

1. I am absolutely sure I don't want to know. :D

@clem,
    Pomade is hair grease in a jar.

My fondest memory of things from Down Under was drinking warm beer and eating spaghetti sandwiches with a bunch of Aussie ground pounders. I still like my beer warm to this day.

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  2. NOT Dielectric Grease! Butch Wax.jpg

3. I'll bet it would work, we used a jar to water proof a pair of blue jeans once. LOL

4. flux capacitor

flux capacitor

I think u guys wanted to see this make it to three pages...........:) & that butch wax jar is pretty awesome. Flux

AZbent and lothiandon1940 like this.
  5. LONG

LONG

goes on rubber connector seals only

6. .......................................What?o_O

lothianwilly71 likes this.
  7. [​IMG]

8. LONG

LONG

in my world, CAT, Detroit, Mercedes, Allison, Sisu, Challenger, Claas....do not recommend using dielectric grease on connections. only on the seals for connectors to keep the moisture out. on connections like starters, it is ok to use a silicone. grease attracts debris which can have continuity.

9. Oh yeah, it should be used on the bottom of a GM HEI module. Keeps corrosion [rust] away and insulates....helps keep breaker plate heat out of the module.

6-bangertim and lothiandon1940 like this.
  10. ................Doesn't silicone have a detrimental effect on some sensors?

lothianwilly71 likes this.
  11. LONG

LONG

absolutely correct. we have the luxury with having an application/ installation guideline to follow. so, I have a factory recommended part/ specification.

12. Should I lightly coat the tips of the spark plugs before putting the ignition wire boots in place?

lothianwilly71 and oj like this.
  13. oj

oj

I always do that. I actually use the Dollar General petroleum jelly, I don't see a difference between it and the MSD stuff at 10X the cost.
    I have tried to put the grease in the boot and what'll happen is pressure will build up in the boot and push it off the plug, I've never had a problem when I put it on the plug itself.

14. I still touch the boot and just don't get carried away with it. A little goes a long ways when it comes to grease usage of any sort.

15. bump for some great information:D....and a few laughs.

wraymen, lothianwilly71 and crminal like this.
  16. Truck64

Truck64
    from Ioway

I use dielectric for O-rings (packings) and connectors, though for exposed grounds and connections stuff called NO-OX aka "ear wax" that is designed for electrical connections. It's cheap and a can lasts a long time. Block and frame connections, solenoids, battery terminals etc. Basically any connection that needs to exclude pollution road grime and salt brine etc, it seems to hold up better.

I discovered it sort of by accident restoring an old Dynaco FM tube tuner. The tuning capacitor bearings were supposed to be lubricated with a conductive electrical grease and that's what popped up. It was long used by Ma Bell.

Truth is just about anything will work for this, chassis grease or vaseline is better than nothing.

The corrosion people were referring is properly called Galvanic, named after some Italian guy. Dissimilar metals - from the opposite ends of the reactivity scale - in the presence of an electrolyte, produce an electric current. In other words, a battery. Remember Carbon Zinc batteries? Same principle. A battery is just a self contained unit of corrosion, if you want to look at it that way.

I'm pretty anal in recent years about keeping batteries charged at 100%, one thing I found as a result there are zero corrosion problems whether treated or not, probably because the alternator isn't gassing the shit out of the battery all the time charging it back up. Keep the case of the battery clean of grime and sludge (Windex works great) helps them hold their charge, and consequently will last longer too.

http://www.sanchem.com/docs/NO-OX-ID A-Special Electrical Grade.pdf

http://www.sanchem.com

Last edited: Jan 4, 2017
  17. A good thread indeed.

18. gatz

gatz

Learned the advantages of dielectric grease many years ago.
    We had a shop truck that had no problems starting,...... that is, until it got well below zero one winter.
    That SOB would not start. We drug it up and down the street...nothing. Gave up after freezing our butts off and cancelled the delivery that day.
    Took it to a auto repair place nearby. He said "couldn't find a thing wrong. After it was inside for about an hour, it started just fine" He suggested that the connector at the firewall was the culprit and he dabbed on some dielectric grease. That took care of the hard start from then on.

I've kept a can of it around since. This particular brand is CRC. Probably like orange's
    Thing is, I had bought a can of the stuff and in (what seemed like) a short time it lost the pressure to expel the grease. Took it back to Ace Hdwe, they gave me a new one but not without a condenscending side-wards glance.
    The replacement can eventually did the same thing.
    There's a small rubber plug in the bottom; it must not have sealed very good, 'cause all the pressure was gone. What was odd though, was that none of the grease came out the bottom, so I don't know if that was the problem or not.
    I carefully took the can apart to see what was still in it. Much surprised to see the can almost full.
    So, I found a plastic cap that fit the can and keep it covered.
    Like others, I use it alot now on connections.
    Off-HAMB, but I found this grease to be especially useful on household light bulbs to keep them from getting stuck in the sockets. One place that always seemed to be a problem was ceiling fan lights, because they get so hot.
    Had some where the glass bulb broke away from the metal base. This solved that problem.

DSCF2283.JPG

kidcampbell71 and lothiandon1940 like this.
  19. I've had the same thing happen to ceiling fan bulbs. What a pain in the ass!! I'll have to give the grease a try......Thanks.

20. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I'm a Dapper Dan man myself......great movie

21. Truck64

Truck64
    from Ioway

I was going to mention the light bulb trick. I use NO-OX on any electrical connection or ground point around the home, bolts and fasteners, anything we don't want to corrode. Thinned out to sprayable form I bet it would make a good under coating or rustproofing.

Some folks recommend a dab of dielectric on the tip of the distributor rotor? What's the deal with that.

22. Thanks for all of the great advice, guys.............Don.

23. .................Absolutely! One of my all-time favorites. f0aff1be-b099-11e5-9aa0-e45209e8e8ee.jpg

24. Just to keep this thread auto related........ 3424tr.1653.jpg i025993.jpg

25. town sedan

town sedan

I've got a can of silicone paste, Ford recommended it for use on rubber weatherstrips.
    When I was in the army we used axle grease on the battery cables and battery post connections. Think I'll stick with dielectric grease these days.
    -Dave

26. 1946caddy

1946caddy
    from washington

Before they invented "Depends" ? :confused:

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  27. woodbutcher

woodbutcher

:D RE: Brylcreme.Just a little historical trivia.During WW2,the fighter pilots in England were called"The Brylcream Boys":rolleyes::p.
    Good luck.Have fun.Be safe.
    Leo

28. Truck64

Truck64
    from Ioway

The shop manuals used to recommend vaseline. Something is better than nothing.

29. noboD

noboD

I've used never seize on battery terminals for close to 50 years.