Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Diecast model of 63 Galaxie 1:18 scale???

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Daron Craig, Jul 29, 2019.

1. Daron Craig

Daron Craig

Hey guys just wondering if you could point me in a direction of a black 1:18 scale diecast of a 63 Galaxie. I want to get it for my dad. I use one as a display with my 67 Chevelle ( on fender in picture ) and I want to get him one to use for his car. Thanks

IMG_6640.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. Daron Craig

Daron Craig

My dads Galaxie is the black one. I know sun star made them but they are discontinued and I cannot find one for sale anywhere. Closest I’ve found is blue.

3. ...............You could re-paint it.

Slopok likes this.
  4. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

A bud of mine took a '58 Impala die cast (1/18) apart and painted it...did a good job. He wasn't particularly 'gifted', but the Impala looked like it was originally painted that color. (white)
    I have a 1/18 scale die cast '56 Ford convertible I have to take apart and paint. It's orange and white, has to be all white. (as my 1:1 was)
    Repainting is a little time consuming, but with the right prep it can come out as nice as your Dad's real one.
    Advantage to repainting one? It can be as BLACK as the time/effort you put into it.

deadbeat and lothiandon1940 like this.

5. Daron Craig

Daron Craig

Do you sand the other color off or just scuff the paint and then primer / re-paint? He has red interior so I guess I could actually make it like his if I did that.

6. Google "Replicarz". If they don't have it, it's probably not made.

7. Just scuff it, then paint; no primer. Too much paint and you'll lose detail. You'll probably want to hand paint the interior.

deadbeat likes this.
  8. Depending on what the originally model is painted, ie, if lots of patterns etc then disassemble the model & strip or sand the paint using normal auto paint stripper or wet/dry paper.....make sure none of the paint stripper gets near any plastic parts especially clear parts, ideally remove the windows, chrome moldings etc, etc down to the body shell.........use a good quality etch primer and primer then spray the model as normal and reassemble............as its a metal bodied model you do it essentially the same way as a 1:1 scale car.......AMT has done a 1963 Galaxie 2 dr hardtop as a 1/25th scale plastic kit, lots of detail..........andyd

9. I don't think I'd strip it... Most die cast is made of zinc, and zinc is notoriously difficult to get paint to stick to. Ever try to get paint to stick to galvanized? The factory paint is baked on I believe, and that will be hard to duplicate.