Register now to get rid of these ads!

Didnt Pass Inpection *again* Could this be a Tech?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 41sled, Dec 12, 2003.

1. 41sled

41sled
    from Orange, CA

Ok I didnt pass inpection again. Need everyones help on this(possibly tech??) It didnt pass emitions due to C02??? Can some one tell me how to fix this... Even if its for only a few minutes-hours..... Another reason due to water in the head lights [​IMG] ill fix that... and i had sharp bumpers ,cuase of for flaky chrome....
    I guess New Jersey thinks im going to run into something and the rusty chrome flakes are going to kill [​IMG]

Ok so i need some more help with emissions.... What do i put in the tank/motor ??

thanks -steve

2. badpat

badpat

if it was only co2, it is running too rich for the tester, lean it out, but this will probably raise other levels, depending on what they test for, so make sure they are in line- also, a half quart of methyl hydrate in the tank always helps through emissions tests

3. WE have an emissions test here in the valley too!usually if your car has high hydrocarbons it is too lean and if the co2 is too high the carb is running too rich.if you want to make it leaner /richer at idle test adjust the mixture screws on the carb(usually in is leaner /out richer)on most domestic carbs.if it is too rich on the driving test ,you will need to lower you're floats in the carb.I'm assuming this is a 60's or older pre emissionns vehicle that you're talking about.i've passed tons of old cars through our california style test we have here and usually it's just a tune up retard the timing and a carb adjustment!hope this helps.

4. Gr8ballsofir

Gr8ballsofir

Could it have been the Flames? [​IMG] Change your oil and filter and make sure the engine is really HOT before you test it. I had a VW pass that was only running on 2 cylinders!! [​IMG]

5. That sucks we have emmisions and inspections here too, but if you car is old like ours then you only need inspection. Move to NM they dont need shit.. [​IMG]

6. Pigiron

Pigiron

What the hell is an "Emmissions Test"? Never heard of such a thing! Why don't you just vote the bastards out of office that are in favor of such foolishnish?! [​IMG]

7. I remember when MI had them damn tests, Dad had a Quad 442 that HAD to be really really really hot in order for it to pass emissions. The mechanics would have me go out and rage on it for awhile and come back and try the sniffer. Repeat until it passed. What a pain.

Jay

8. DrJ

DrJ

What make year engine car is it?
    Are you sure it's CO2 Carbon Dioxide, or CO Carbon Monoxide?
    CO2 they are only testing the really new cars for here in California.

The natural exhaust of fully burned gasoline is water vapor and Carbon Dioxide, as is the lung exhale of a human.
    so I think the government(s) have there collective heads up their collective ass testing for it at all.

9. Yeah you must mean co .here in B.C.all cars have to go through a annual emission test and pass or else you aren't aloud to insure and drive them legally.it costs us 24 $ each time you go through and it has to pass or else you can't insure it and drive it .it doesn't matter what year they are either i had to take my 30 model a truck through and my 56 pontiac and 57 chevy every year and still do.it's a big hassle and you have to sit in a long lineup and keepyou're cer from overheating cause you'll get kicked out if it does.the standards on the test are lower for old cars but i wonder what it is based on since my 56 pontiac had no emissions systems originally.we get tested at idle and driving on hydrocarbons and co and oxides of nitrogen,so it must be co then.I envy all those who don't have to take their car through a emission test every year.

10. rikaguilera

rikaguilera

Not sure if you want to pour any "witches brew" into your bullet, but there is a product out there that lowers emisions for testing. The name escapes me right now, but it is something like "O2", or "H2", or something like that. The other probs sound like quick fixes. Did you say you have "sharp bumpers"?? Wow, they are strict up there.
    You can find that stuff at pretty much any "Pep Boys", or Advanced. etc....
    Good luck [​IMG]

11. hatch

hatch
    from house

All this crap is actually just more taxes....bout time to dump some tea in the harbor. [​IMG]

12. DrJ

DrJ

[ QUOTE ]
    Yeah you must mean co .here in B.C.all cars have to go through a annual emission test and pass or else you aren't aloud to insure and drive them legally.it costs us 24 $ each time you go through and it has to pass or else you can't insure it and drive it .it doesn't matter what year they are either i had to take my 30 model a truck through and my 56 pontiac and 57 chevy every year and still do.it's a big hassle and you have to sit in a long lineup and keepyou're cer from overheating cause you'll get kicked out if it does.the standards on the test are lower for old cars but i wonder what it is based on since my 56 pontiac had no emissions systems originally.we get tested at idle and driving on hydrocarbons and co and oxides of nitrogen,so it must be co then.I envy all those who don't have to take their car through a emission test every year.

[/ QUOTE ]

You have it worse than here then. In California they made it law years ago that a car didn't have to pass any tests it wasn't required to pass when it was manufactured and they didn't test any new ones till '65 and we have a rolling 30 year cut off so '74s and older aren't tested at all anymore. (unless they change it again, someone tried to make it 45 years last year but I wrote to my Senator and got the bill changed in committee, well, me and my buds at SEMA)

"All this crap is actually just more taxes....bout time to dump some tea in the harbor. "

That's true, the "state" gets revinue off the certificate (it's $6 here) pluss they get business tax and income tax from the operator at the test station who charges about $60-70 here off the state invented business interest.
    I don't see how they can get away with it other than the fact that the right people haven't stood up to them in court and said "you have no right to tell me I can't use my legally obtained property" After all, they don't tell people how long they can wear their clothes or what kind, (except kids in schools, but that's another issue)
    The whole corruptness of it wwas just demonstrated here in California when they trippled the annual car license tax/fees just to cover the state deficit and Ahnold recinded it and the news said it"cost the state FOUR BILLION dollars. No, it kept the state from stealing four billoion dollars from car owners that's all.

Oh on the HC and CO when the HC is too low, in otherwords if the car is too LEAN the CO will go sky high.
    You want to adjust it so it's still passing but high(er) on the HC to bring the CO down.
    If it's a carburetor, you can't do this by guessing, you have to adjust, set it up, with a sniffer in the tail pipe.

Just curious what numbers they require "old" 1955 say, cars to pass in Canada, or anywhere that tests cars older than '65?

13. Rocket88

Rocket88

DrJ, I'll try to answer your question
    Pre 1973 350 c.i.
    Idle test
    Hydro Carbons 559 ppm (parts per million)
    Cardon Monoxide 4.22%
    Driving test
    Hydro Carbons 274 ppm
    Carbon Monoxide 2.31 %
    NOx ( car oxides of nitrogen ) 2650 ppm
    All vehicles 73 and prior have to meet these standards. The big keys are clean oil, clean air filter, no timing. Things like a K+N air filter can really send the readings through the roof.

14. Rocket88

Rocket88

Most of us gearheads up here really have become experts in how to scam the system.
    Before they came out with the cone that goes over the tail pipe, we used to stick a Super Trap muffler on the end. Their sniffer wand wouldn't work!
    My truck has a dummy cat on it right now, it does nothing but it passes the visual inspection.
    Or in the winter you go in with studded snow tires on your car. They won't put you on the dyno with studs! [​IMG]

15. Paul

Paul
    Editor

CO2?.. you must be running Propane!

hook up a fan that will blow fresh air into the exhaust so as to dilute the noxious gasses as they exit the tail pipe!

O2?, flip the switch on the flame thrower and burn the excess hydro carbons!

hard asses doing the testing? Go somewhere else!

shitty exhaust? rebuild the worn out motor. [​IMG]

16. DrJ

DrJ

[ QUOTE ]
    DrJ, I'll try to answer your question
    Pre 1973 350 c.i.
    Idle test
    Hydro Carbons 559 ppm (parts per million)
    Cardon Monoxide 4.22%
    Driving test
    Hydro Carbons 274 ppm
    Carbon Monoxide 2.31 %
    NOx ( car oxides of nitrogen ) 2650 ppm
    All vehicles 73 and prior have to meet these standards. The big keys are clean oil, clean air filter, no timing. Things like a K+N air filter can really send the readings through the roof.

[/ QUOTE ]

Last time I had to smog my '73 MGB GT(dual SUs, no dyno then) in '97 they required;
    Idle
    req. HC 550 PPM tested 141 PPM
    req. CO 5.00 % tested 1.96 %

2500 RP test, no dyno
    req. HC 400 PPM tested 95 PPM
    req. CO 4.00 % tested .24 %

Nothing else was required to be measured in '97
    but they did measure
    idle
    CO2 tested 11.5
    O2 tested 3.2

2500 RPM
    CO2 tested 12.0
    O2 tested 3.9

yea, I'm excessive about some things, I keep all the readouts on all my cars to see how they change from year to year.

Do stock engined cars from the 40s and 30s and 20s for that matter, actually pass those regulations up there?

"hook up a fan that will blow fresh air into the exhaust so as to dilute the noxious gasses as they exit the tail pipe!"

I was contemplating swaping in a real high volume A.I.R. pump and opening up the injectors so it would pump a whole lot of "air" into the exhaust to pass on a marginal car.

The irony is, the current specs for ultra clean emissions are CLEANER that the air going in the intake!

So, what motor and carb is 41sled running??????

17. Yeah it's all just a cash grab!especially since the testing is just in the lower mainland, the island and the rest of the province don't have any.I guess they figure the air must stay in one part of the province all the time,gotta love a politicians logic,your tax dollars at work! [​IMG]

18. Glen

Glen

Was it at idle or cruise speed?
    changing the oil is a good suggestion.

after failing 4 times on the "under load/cruise" portion of the test with numbers above 4.0 I passed with .005 on CO with a sbc [​IMG] The guys were scratching their heads. [​IMG]

19. Machinos

Machinos

What a load of crap. There are so few pre-emissions-equipment cars left that even if they were ALL driven daily (and hardly any of them are) it would still probably be way way less than one percentage point of total vehicle emissions in the entire world. Even California knows that!

Hell, I bet one badly-maintained old semi tractor shifting gears a few times in BC produces more emissions than every old car in BC put together.

20. <font color="red"> HELL I had on old Ford pick-up we affectionately refered to as "The Exxon Valdez"(because she leaked so much oil)......it ran on one good cylinder....i took her in for her last inspection in 98(1974 f-150).......she ran at almost ZERO on all readings.......guy looked at me real perplexed as he handed it to me and says"I never thought that heap of shit would pass!"......I tell him it wouldn't have if it wasn't rusted out from the mufflers back!......he looked under the back end as I drove away and could see then that the tail pipe he had hooked up to was just an old pipe my buddy had welded up under the rear bumper!.......them fools are complete idiots!......all the state wants is your $$$, they could care less about clean air....just look at all the diesels out there!!

R E D M E A T </font>

21. onelow48

onelow48
    from Maryland

We have them here to. I had the same problem before. This
    may sound funny but it worked. Full tank off gas one bottle
    off green Scope. Drive the car hard for about 15-20 min...
    Then go for it. I would have never beleived it, but it worked. A old drag racer down the street told me to do it.

22. zonkola

zonkola
    from NorCal

[ QUOTE ]
    Then go for it. I would have never beleived it, but it worked. A old drag racer down the street told me to do it.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, that minty-fresh breath will pass every time.

23. tomslik

tomslik

"Oh on the HC and CO when the HC is too low, in otherwords if the car is too LEAN the CO will go sky high."

drJ, your backwards, high CO=rich, high HC = lean.

i've seen cars so rich that they will raise HC's too but always with high CO too.

usta do E-tests before the state took that out of the private sector.. now i have to deal with making stuff pass when there's a moron doing the testing...

24. I am not sure what to make of redmeat's comment about diesels... in actuality they burn CLEANER than a gasoline engine, just put out more particulates... that is the "black soot" you see. That makes people THINK that they are dirtier, but they aren't. Plus, they use their btu's to better advantage. That's why something like 40% of cars in Europe are diesel powered.

But I agree that the state is just after the $$$! I wonder how long it will be before Granholm reinstates them here?

Jay

25. 41sled

41sled
    from Orange, CA

Thanks guys for everyones help. Its a 78 malibu wagon 4 door, with a 350... been driving it for years now for a work car....These wagons will never DIE...

To answer some of the questions ,, Yes it was C0 not C02, my mistake*.. and i do change and add a quart of oil every 6-7 days since theres a crack in the block ( dont say anything Ha)and it has a new carb and new Spark plugs..it runs perfectly fine... Sep a giant cloud of smoke everytime i start the damn thing.. OH well, time to experiment with some of that moonshine gas...

Thanks all and take care

steve-

26. Mr 42

Mr 42
    from Sweden

Here in Sweden we have the CO test, the right way to do it is to fix your carb and adjust it, towards lean.

The other way of doing it is to add 10-20% of "etanol" (i think methanol works as well), this will screw your HC value, but it's not measured here on old cars.

We get the "Ethanol" at the gas-station and its for preventing the carb to freeze during the winters here but its only meant to add 2% (drinking alcohol wont work since its only 40%ethanol and 60%water)

I have also heard that if you create a leak on your intake side, put a T on the rubber hose between the dizzy and intake,to let fresh air in. It will lower the CO value to, have not tried that one though...

27. magoo

magoo

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

What is green scope?

28. DrJ

DrJ

[ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

What is green scope?

[/ QUOTE ]

Mouth wash.
    Probably 20% alcohol

29. [ QUOTE ]
    Thanks guys for everyones help. Its a 78 malibu wagon 4 door, with a 350... been driving it for years now for a work car....These wagons will never DIE...

To answer some of the questions ,, Yes it was C0 not C02, my mistake*.. and i do change and add a quart of oil every 6-7 days since theres a crack in the block ( dont say anything Ha)and it has a new carb and new Spark plugs..it runs perfectly fine... Sep a giant cloud of smoke everytime i start the damn thing.. OH well, time to experiment with some of that moonshine gas...

Thanks all and take care

steve-

[/ QUOTE ]

the california model has a cat. if you don't want to replace the cat the you can dial down the main jets. i kinda skimmed through the post but can you post your emissions (hc,co,co2,o2,nox,rpm and speed) and the states cutoff readings. here in california we DO NOT check co2 we check nox. co2 is a product of clomplete combustion and can be used to help dia failure problems. california is starting to suck again with smogs, they have test only shops now (mainly older cars get sent there). i've been doing smogs and smog repairs for about 7 years and i can see a change coming.