Register now to get rid of these ads!

Did you own this car?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by jfcdeuce, Aug 11, 2010.

1. jfcdeuce

jfcdeuce

I attempted to contact the previous owner of a car I bought that had been stored for years, sadly the letter I sent came back undeliverable, anyway, if any of you are or know an old hot rodder named James David Gideon, I own what used to be his car.

Dear Mr. Gideon,
    I recently purchased a 1946 Ford Fordor Sedan from a property in Sandy Valley, NV. The title I received with the car was originally issued to you in 1974, and released by you in 1977. I’m not sure how much or when the car may have changed hands after you owned it, but I am a fan of history, and was hoping that you could share your history of the car with me. I can tell from the modifications that this car was at one time someone’s beloved custom car. (I have included some picture of the car as it was found)

The modifications I found with the car were the 1968 Mustang drive train swap, using a 302, C-4 and 8” rear with a set of 14” Cragar SS wheels on the rear. If the swap was done by you or just before your owner ship of the car means you had access to a relatively new (’68, in ’74) Mustang donor car, there must be a story there. Also the chromed interior trim such as the steering column, garnish moldings and glove box door indicate some serious investment. The custom interior also points to a lot of time and passion invested in what would appear to be late 60’s early 70’s tradition. The car still sported its chrome exhaust tips which had obviously seen a lot of contact with thr asphalt, and that along with the hole cut in the floor for pumpkin clearance leads me to believe that the rear end was at one time lowered as far as possible. Was this done with turnbuckles? There is a bracket on the frame and clevis ends on the spring-pads.

<O:p</O:p
    The exterior of the car seems to have seen a lot of wear, although it is immaculately straight, having had a lot of parts replaced. (different paint colors etc, would suggest that someone was restoring the car.) What color was the car when you owned it? It looks to have undergone a few changes over the years.

Currently the car is dismantled and being prepared to be rebuilt/refurbished into a daily driver for myself and my wife. Please if you have any information on the car, old pictures, stories etc, it would be greatly appreciated if you could share them with me, as I would love to keep as much of the history with the car as I can.

Thank you for your time, Best wishes,

John[​IMG]</O:p
    <O:p[​IMG]</O:p
    <O:p[​IMG]

2. AllSteel36

AllSteel36
    from California

3. tony31a

tony31a

Did you ask the local police department what their involvment with the car was?:D

4. gladeparkflyer

gladeparkflyer
    BANNED

dude.... that appears to be an old old hotrod! you got somethin cool there!

5. henry29

henry29

There is a James David Gideon (51) Listed in Mesquite, TX.

6. barry wny

barry wny

I would pick that trans out of the dirt. and that falcon rancheroo in the background

7. jfcdeuce

jfcdeuce

I think the trans went with the '41 coupe that was there too. The guy has something like 8 Ranchero Faclons, including a couple 260 V8 models and a Canadian Mercury comet model too. I think he wanted to sell the lot of all 8 as a lot for 5 grand. I bought the 2 '46 ford he had, he also sold a Henry J and a couple 60's T-birds.

The guy who owned the property was an investor and just trying to clean it up. (He had purchased it from the guy who had collected all the stuff.)

8. Comet Ranchero? No such thing not even from Canada. There was a Meteor Ranchero in '57 however.

9. BOWTIE BROWN

BOWTIE BROWN

i think i would do the falcon .

10. propwash

propwash
    from Las Vegas

I just checked Clark County and Nye County tax rolls for anyone by that name, and there is nobody - so he likely has moved....or "moved on" as they say.

dj

11. jfcdeuce

jfcdeuce

I hate to argue on the internet... but unless someone swapped emblems or fenders...
    [​IMG]

12. What city and State did you send the letter to? Try here for a current city, state. www.ussearch.com

13. burnin53

burnin53
    from cuba,n.y.

Looks like someone put a Comet clip and doors on a Falcon Ranchero to me.
    The quarters don't look like they ever had chrome trim,but the doors and fenders do.

14. fab32

fab32
    Member Emeritus

Maybe it's one of those "halfbreeds" we hear about.:rolleyes::eek:

Frank

15. OahuEli

OahuEli
    from Hawaii

Definitely worth researching this old Ford. That interior must have been real nice at some point.