Register now to get rid of these ads!

Folks Of Interest DID YOU EVER TAKE MOM FOR A RIDE IN THE HOT ROD OR CUSTOM?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by HOTRODPRIMER, May 2, 2020.

1. That little motor sure had a kick! HRP

ladyhrp and chryslerfan55 like this.
  2. ladyhrp

ladyhrp

Yes she did, she made delivery's, picked up plants, bags of fertilizer & big & small pots the wagon was Momma Jessies every day car too.

chryslerfan55 and HOTRODPRIMER like this.
  3. 3W JOHN

3W JOHN

Thank you Brenda, sounds like your mother was a hot rod gal like yourself.

4. Deuce Daddy Don

Deuce Daddy Don
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

MOM in my roadster 1970.jpg She's gone now, but always loved a ride in my roadster!

5. ladyhrp

ladyhrp

\

When was that picture taken?

6. Deuce Daddy Don

Deuce Daddy Don
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

About 1972

7. ladyhrp

ladyhrp

John, Momma had a heavy foot and got a few tickets for driving too fast for conditions, when I got in trouble for drag racing Danny's falcon in front of Hanna High School I got a sermon when I got back home.

Then she ask me did I learn my lesson and I said ma'am, then she ask did I win? and I said yes ma'am to which she said good but don't do it again.

8. I'm lucky to still have mom, 88 years young.., .

...she used to like going to Hangin' Dice and looking at all the cars she remembered from when she was younger.

Mom is who I inherited my lead foot from, the only new car she ever bought was a '65 Plymouth Sport Fury and stories from my somewhat older siblings abound on her showing off back in the day lol

Right out of High School I had a very non-HAMB Gremlin with a V8 from a Javelin, mom's car was in the shop so she borrowed my ride to drive to work. This thing was set up as such that it would chirp the tires even if you were gentle with it, which she was not. People down at the plant gave her a hard time over being the "little old lady from Pasadena..." only Pasadena we ever lived near was the one in Texas but still...good times, great memories, I hope to get this 53 Mainline going so the wife and I can take mom out to eat while she's still able to enjoy such things.

9. Mike VV

Mike VV
    from SoCal

Take her for a ride..?
    Hell, she had her "own" hot rod. I can't get into what year Chevy it was, but it was powered by a big Chevy engine , custom paint and interior. My brother and I did most all the work but for the interior, which my brother found a guy to do it properly.
    Daily driver sort of thing, her only car.

My brother even caught her street racing one afternoon. He called me to tell me what he saw. He was sitting one car back on the cross street when this happened, so he saw the whole thing. I called her to get the details.
    When I asked her, what had she been doing, there was silence over the phone. Like when your parents caught you doing a bad thing when you were a kid..!
    She started laughing and told me the full story about racing a guy across an intersection and down the street about 300ft.
    See, her car wasn't exactly church mouse quiet. And that this guy had been bugging her for a few blocks. She said that she was pretty sure that she cold beat him, so she gave it a try. I knew she was telling me the truth by what she said the other driver did after she beat him. She said that she thought it was odd that the guy wouldn't even look at her at the next signal..!

So...be careful what you give to your mom for a car to drive.

Mike

10. jnaki

jnaki

upload_2020-5-25_6-3-50.png

Hello,

Wow, same time same place as 70+years ago. What a cool photo of one of the icons of Los Angeles. Those French Dipped Roast Beef sandwiches are the best ever! Ever since our dad took us to that place for lunch when we were little (1951 started) those sandwiches have always been part of our itinerary stop over for any meal. When we went to lunch there with our mom on many days of visiting Los Angeles, she also loved the sandwiches. But, the aura of the everyday working people from doctors to actresses, to telephone linemen all standing in line, the sawdust on the floor, the line up at the glass case and counter, all kind of scared her as she never had gone to a place like this.

She never wavered and as soon as we sat down on those funky stools, totally ate her French Dipped Roast Beef sandwich. Usually, she would give any sandwich half to me, in addition to my whole sandwich. But, this place had its history, the flavorful food,the atmosphere that made her hungry and devoured her sandwich all by herself.

Jnaki

Nice photo of your car in front of such cool place. It is the oldest restaurant in Los Angeles and was/is our favorite every time we stopped in Los Angeles. Those stops were for something like an old Sports Arena basketball game, car show, Coliseum football, the nearby museums/music venues, and getting off at the Union Station, and headed straight for our tasty lunch.

LA has history and your car fits right in the time period and locale.

11. GeezersP15

GeezersP15
    from N.E. PA

This is my Mom enjoying a ride in my 1948 Plymouth. She was a resident of a local nursing home when this photo was taken, and sadly has since passed away.

nanna.jpg 003.JPG

12. Took my Mom for a ride in my chopped and channeled, nailhead powered, 29 Ford roadster she hated it thought she was going to die before the ride was over.

13. rooman

rooman

My shop neighbor Joe Kerr took my 80 plus year old mother in law for a ride in nail head powered Model A coupe. Turning back into our street he got on it and lit up the tires. My wife was in panic mode but the M.I.L. had a grin from ear to ear when they pulled up at the shop.
    IMG_8094.JPG

Roo

A Boner, alanp561 and Randy D like this.
  14. goldmountain

goldmountain

This reminded me of driving mom in my '47 Plymouth with its chopped top. Mom stood at about 4 ft. tall and I had the seats mounted low. She complained about not being able to see above the dashboard.

Sent from my SM-T350 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

15. olscrounger

olscrounger
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Not my mom but my mother-in-law..Took our 62 Corvette to a small local show and my wife took her 55. Corvette was a 340HP 4spd 4:11 car-her 55 has a snotty 327. When we left the show it was late and mother-in-law was in the Corvette with me. At the next light my wife rolled down her window and said"I'm faster than you" On green we let er rip. I stayed with her thru low and 2nd and she walked away!! OK -next light-game on! Her Mom was having a fit! I really leaned on it and shifted at 6500 from low to 2nd and she still walked away! By then here Mom was really getting upset so we just cruised on home. Got a big lecture about acting more mature at our age. I was only 62 at the time.

alanp561 likes this.
  16. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

My mom drove my 51 Merc a lot when I was 16/17 and her car was a gas hog 58 Merc colony park wagon. If it had wheels on it she could drive it though.
    She has ridden in my 48 a few times over the years. Not a big deal take mom for ride in the custom or hot rod though.

17. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

Unfortunately my mom passed away last year in June so she never got to see my RPU finished.

She saw it during construction and was quite happy that I was finally able to pursue the dream of building it.

I’d like to think that she is looking down and riding with me.

alanp561 likes this.
  18. Mr T body

Mr T body
    Alliance Vendor
    from BHC AZ

Took my mom out 1 time in my '54 Ford Wagon..... built FE, Toploader 4 speed, 9". Her only response was "it doesn't idle very well". She liked my '67 S code Cougar much more. Moms......

alanp561 likes this.
  19. A Boner

A Boner

My son took his Mom for a ride last Saturday!
    28634F48-43B3-4E9A-9601-F77C8DC983D5.png