Register now to get rid of these ads!

Did you abuse your parents cars?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by HOTRODPRIMER, May 15, 2008.

1. Man,Haven't you ever heard on the statue of limitations? :D I doubt your parents check out the Hamb,,so you should be OK. HRP

2. Too many "J's" up on Skyline Drive in of all cars my dad's XK-120 roadster, someone wrote in my yearbook that Goodyear would do well if they could figure out how to reclaim that burnt in rubber. No matter if I was driving my 6 cylinder powered '40 Olds, moms's Buick or my dads Jag over the years I challenged that one corner with gusto. Breakage of parts such as an axles, U-joints, worn clutches and tires would eventually slow down my stupidness.

3. Big Red

Big Red
    from wichita ks

honest dad I was just driving and trans just locked up

4. plodge55aqua

plodge55aqua
    from Alberta

The answer for me would be No... My dad took great care of the two cars he worked hard for.. I respected that.. Treat them right.. they will last a long time .. besides.. Im in no hurry to go anywhere.. as long as its safe.

5. Goldenrog

Goldenrog
    from Mn

My friend and I co-owned a 51 chevy we got for haying. He lived on a farm with lots of corn. One fall we took the 51 and his mom's 65 country squire and did a little racing in the corn field. Can still remember doing about 60 with the corn folding down in front of the car. Thought we got away with it until she took it in for an oil change. Must have 50 lbs of corn stalks!

Last edited: Jan 13, 2013
  6. Greasy64

Greasy64

So your Dad is a HAMBer Too huh?

7. jetnow1

jetnow1
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from CT
    1. A-D Truckers

I plead the 5th.

8. uglyoldcrow

uglyoldcrow

When I was 14 teen my older sister bought new a 1960 Chevy. She couldn't figure out why she only got 1,500 miles out of a set of Tires. Our driveway always looked like it was freshly sealed!

9. If I break my winter mustang, that would leave me to drive my car during the winter. My car during the winter would fuck my day up. I do all the regular services on that mustang to make sure I'm not walking or driving my car in the snow.

I'm buying a mini-van soon though, so I'm stoked on that.

10. I know my girls were rough on our cars. :rolleyes: HRP

11. No!! I would never abuse my mom's car!! That was a rhetorical question, wasn't it?

12. Cortney

Cortney

I learned how to "power brake" in my moms 77 Caddy Seville. Never broke it, but had to explain why the right rear tire wore out faster than the rest =) Also used it as a tow rig multiple times! Never did like that car....... Probably because my dad traded my 65 327/p-gliude Elcamino for it!!!

13. cheepsk8

cheepsk8
    from west ky

Not sure if this counts, but in the late 70s, my Dad had a 64 GMC pickup that he used as a DD to work and back. He blew the six in it so I had a fresh 327/350 on the stand and I put that in. Good break in miles, so I thought. I then swapped it for another hot engine, , then another, and so on. Every couple of months or so he would get to "break in" a new motor. He passed away 20 years ago next month and I had several of his old working buddies tell me at the funeral home about how my Dad would get in the back parking lot and smoke the tires on that old pickup truck with my engines in them. It makes me smile every time I think about those days, and the fact that like me , my Dad never really grew up either.

14. kiwicowboy

kiwicowboy
    from linwood nc

NO. my dad abuse my 55 chevy

15. Wowcars

Wowcars

The only time I ever 'beat' on Dads hot rod, he was with me and told me to.
    A 1932 Chevy that he's had since '72. About 10 years ago we were running with a group of other cars to a show about 200 miles from home. At a fuel stop, we got left behind because we needed to stop at the parts store and then go get a bite to eat. We got back on the highway about 30 minutes after everyone else. (Our destination was another 90 miles) As we were leaving, I asked Dad, "You think we can catch 'em?" Dads reply was "If we're going to try, you're driving!" So we swapped drivers and I headed out with the speedo bouncing between 95-105. Kept in touch with a buddy still in the pack to watch for cops. Pulled into the host hotel parking lot, just as everyone was getting out of their cars. Damn near caught up with them within an hour. Good times. I love that car.

16. DAVEG2

DAVEG2

I use to beat the daylights out of my dads 54 Ford wagon. v8 standard shift.

17. '51 Norm

'51 Norm
    from colorado

I discovered that by putting the transfer case on my dad's International 4X4 in low range without locking in the front hubs that six banger was the fastest thing in town.

At least it was the fastest if you were only racing across the intersection 'cause it was all done after that.

I broke the rear end doing that one night. At the parts store the guy at the counter told my dad that "this happens all the time." I coulda kissed him.

Fast forward a few decades to where the guys at work are telling me how fast my Studebaker truck is and by the way who was that girl driving it?

I guess the acorn didn't fall too far from the tree.

18. belair

belair

My dad was waaay too savvy. Aanyway, I got my own car when I was 16 and beat on it.

19. creepjohnny

creepjohnny

Not an old car but I took my moms old toyota camera and pretty much drove it like the Bluesmobile!!!

20. Leevon

Leevon
    from Nixa, MO

Dad: "It's crazy that a motor mount just broke clean in half. Dang I didn't see that coming."
    Me: "Metallurgical failure, Dad. It happens at the darndest times."

My Grandpa was crazy enough to buy an Olds 442 convertible while he had 2 sons in high school. Car was quickly sold...

Couple of years ago, I'm a grown ass man. Dad throws me the keys to his brand new BIG V8 off topic car to go get some groceries. He says "Don't let any camaros get you". Well what do you know, I'll be darned but heading back from town there is a red camaro and it's next to me at the highway entrance where everybody knows the street quarter mile is. I got him by a good 10 car lengths. Walked in the door and said "Dad, that red Camaro won't mess with you anymore". He about crapped, said he was joking and hasn't even had the car over 55 yet, blah, blah. I said "We don't joke about these things!". HA!

Last edited: Jan 16, 2013
  21. stubbsrodandcustom

stubbsrodandcustom
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Spring tx

How about racing some douche in a exotic car with your mom driving her car and winning... ? Or doing burnouts down the street in her car, or turning the family car you came home from the hospital in into a drag car later in life? Do these count?

22. HotRodToomer

HotRodToomer

Other then my dads O.T. Z71 GMC pegging the needle on I-75,
    NEVER!

With any classic car my dads owned, I've been afraid to drive them.
    I feared that he'd find out and hide my keys.

23. storm king

storm king

My Mom had a '67 440 GTX, and my Dad had a Chrysler 300 H, ya think?

24. Mr. Mac

Mr. Mac

Took my dads new 63 1/2 Falcon up to John Zink ranch north of Tulsa. Zink had a asphalt track that they would test the Indy cars on so I ran the shit out of that little Falcon on it. My dad never did figure out why the tires on his new car wore out so quickly.:):)

25. " YES I DID " 1952 Olds. I love that car. Many Street Races, and at some dragstrip's

26. Chris F100

Chris F100

Took the old mans 62 TBird wide open over a high hump in the road with RR tracks and got it airborne. When it landed the mufflers left the premises and I had to try to sneak it back in the garage...didn't make it ...got caught....

27. 61 Fairlane

61 Fairlane

Oh HELL yes. I beat the shit out of that sucker

28. groundpounder

groundpounder
    Member Emeritus

Wore the shit outta the shift tube in my Parents Nova!.....Lol!....Twice!......

29. My folks cars were the 1950 Chrysler Windsor with the flathead 6 and "Tip-toe" matic fluid drive transmission.{in my avatar} I used every ounce of horsepower it would produce... and it STILL wasn't enough to abuse that tank. Must be why its still around today.