Register now to get rid of these ads!

Did you abuse your parents cars?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by HOTRODPRIMER, May 15, 2008.

1. edweird

edweird

damn sure did. my mom had a brand new 73 monte carlo. 350, 4 barrel and duel exhaust. i ran the dog shit out of that thing and eventually blew it up. i'm now 51 yrs old and she stills gives me hell about it, which i deserve.

2. 61TBird

61TBird

My Mom had a '70 Firebird Formula 400...:rolleyes:
    She always told me it "ran better" after I drove it!...:D

3. handmedown40limited

handmedown40limited
    from tracy ca

I had my own car 68 lemans that I built a 455 before gettin my license but whenever it was broke,pretty often-stupid th350s- I would drive my moms 87 iroc. That thing handled great. Way to much fun in the hills never blew it up but wrecked it once. That car was very easy to handle while drifting sideways.

4. bobwop

bobwop
    from Arley, AL

I beat them so bad I am embarrassed to share the stories. Seriously!

5. jpw1177

jpw1177
    from Australia

Looking back now i was a little out of control with what I got up to in my parents and my own cars and they still continued to let me drive them.

They had a 1985 Toyota 4 Runner with the 2.2 petrol and a 5 spd manual. I learnt to drive in it and then continued to drive it when i got my P's. I used it to deliver pizza's and would hammer that thing to get more deliveries in as i was paid per delivery.
    One night in the wet I looped coming out onto to amjor road just as the traffic was coming from the lights, I grabbed 1st and went straight up the gutter and the embankment into the service rd. Had to sit for a few minutes while I stopped shaking. Didn't slow me down that night as i decided that putting it into 4WD was a better option. Thankfully didn't blow any of the driveline up that i now know i could have.

The worse with that car was when out camping with mates and was being all rally driver with it. My ability was left lacking when i shifted down a gear coming into a corner and it went sideways. I at least had the knowledge to hit the brakes and slide it into an embankment rather than off the edge of the road and down a small cliff into tree's. Smashed the bullbar into the headlight's and bonnet. Had to arrive home and tell them. Was quite surprised when they weren't that annoyed and still allowed me to go to work that night and deliver pizza's in it.
    This also happened a week after i blew the gearbox up in my Alfa and had already gone begging to them for a loan to pay for it. I was doing well that week.

My parents sold the Toyota a few moths later and bought a new Holden Jackaroo V6 and then let me drive it straight away. This surprised all my mates who knew what I had done to there previous car, it surprised me too considering i had not really learnt my lesson and used to drift that car through round abouts using the power of the V6 in it.

I also used to take that Jackaroo bush to go camping. One weekend I ended up with 2 flat tyres and only 1 spare from trying to rock climb with it. Ended up having to send my brother out to find a tyre store that would put a tube in it to get me home. I blamed that construction of the tyres for that one...

My brother also hammered that car and by the time it was traded in, half the body panels had dints in them from 4Wd'ing.

I also didnt stop at my parents cars, I also had some fun in an Ex GF's parents cars. I worked on her fathers race team and used to drive his HSV VT GTS at stupid speeds and sideways but who wouldnt when you had a highpower V8 and a 6 spd manual. Her mothers car was also a HSV Clubsport and between me and there own son, I am suprised that car ever survived. We did have to rebuild the rear suspension one weekend after he lost it into a gutter and tore out the rear end.

My mother did get to thrash one of my cars (not directly owned as I worked for Ford at the time and had lease cars), i went overseas and left them with a 6 spd manual Ford Falcon XR8 Ute. I came back to find out my mother was dragging young guys off at the lights in it and she was quite impressed at how quickly smoke would come off the rear tyres.

I have a young son now and am already trying to work out what i will do when he gets to that age. My current plan is to make sure I have V8's in all my cars and he wont be able to drive them (Victoria has restrictions) and to also buy him a project car when he is old enough and have him restore it so he has some pride in it. May not work but i will enjoy doing it up with him.

6. Merlin

Merlin
    from Inman, SC

Oh yes! Dad was tight with his cars but Mom would always let me use hers. She had a 68 LeMans that I used to think was the fastest thing in town. Went through a lot of tires on that one.:D

7. whiskerz

whiskerz
    from Ga.

If you consider when I was real little my brother and I played gas station and filled up the gas tank of the 429 four barrel merc wagon with water abuse . then yes

8. hooliganz 1

hooliganz 1

hell ya blew the tranny out and almost hit a pole in somebodys yard the old man laughs now i waited 10 years to tell him

9. vncruiser

vncruiser
    BANNED

Of course we did. My brother took my mom's '71 Impala to 'Run Whatcha Brung " night at Irwindale on night in 1975. Came home with the hub caps still in the trunk and the shoe polish number and time on the window...She was pissed, dad didn't say much..Think it ran high 17's!
    I still think it's funniernhell!!!

10. voodoo1

voodoo1

Mom and dad had a '67 chevy wagon we all would cruise in back in the '70s. Cool old car. We used to play the Duke boys and jump that thing when we could. If you ya got enough speed it could fly pretty well over rise at the railroad tracks on tenth st. in Medford. mom also had a Pinto wagon for awhile....I beat the hell outa that car. Don't know why the motor rattled when we got rid of it.....
    Mike

11. SquireDon

SquireDon
    from Oregon

My parents 1989 Country Squire. 5.0 FI. If that car could speak, I would still be grounded.
    Used to get the car loaded with friends, and squirrel around the gravel back roads of rural Oregon. There was one spot in particular that the road lead up to a raised Rail Road track. "Jump the tracks!" was the chant. I gunned it one day, and came down nose heavy and tweaked the front bumper up, and busted a tranny line connection to the radiator.

12. HEATHEN

HEATHEN
    from SIDNEY, NY

In Round 1 of this post three years ago, I made mention of my father's '67 Caprice. Keep in mind that the mid '60s was the era of Chevy motor mounts snapping in half every time you turned around, leading to the infamous recall and "cable fix". If 283 powered Impalas broke mounts, you can imagine what the 396 in Dad's Caprice did to them. One day, with my brother Tom at the wheel, we decided to show the folks in the Victory grocery store parking lot what a big block powered Caprice could do. He cranked the wheel to the right, inched out onto Main Street, and floored it. THEN....the driver side mount broke, the accelerator linkage (made of solid rods on that car) stuck wide open, and the additional movement allowed by the lack of a mount on the left side resulted in the engine pulling the vacuum hose off of the power brake booster. Flying through town at WOT with no brakes......what a good time! Luckily, he had the presense of mind to shut it off before we assended some old woman in a Valiant, and we coasted to the side of the road. Two weeks after Dad traded the Caprice in on a new Firebird, he received a letter from G.M. notifying him that there may be a problem with the motor mounts in his Caprice, to which he replied, "No shit".

13. edweird

edweird

you are an exception to the rule!

14. Jeff J

Jeff J

My dad got a brand new six pack duster and dang I drewed over it but never got to drive it. He was a truck driver and keep a note book with mileage on the car all the time. Didn't dare to sneak it out. Remembering him waxing the engine compartment all the time with blue coral wax. and the car too about ever other weekend.

15. tripleduece

tripleduece
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Ive abused them all and still do... If its got a motor its limits WILL be tested! lol

16. Angry Frenchman

Angry Frenchman

Did I abuse my parents cars? yes.

17. screwball

screwball

My parents didnt have a car they used to take mine with out asking. There house there car like it or move was my choice.

18. whiskerz

whiskerz
    from Ga.

I let my dad take my 73 mach 1 out for a ride and never asked about where he went . 351 c 4 barrel small cam headers, Holley 780 . C-6 2800 rpm converter and 4:30 gears with a mini spool. he said it ran pretty good

19. R Frederick

R Frederick
    from illinois

20. busguy71

busguy71

ya know, my chicks '03 crown vic was idling a little rough.... I let it go wide open on the entrance ramp of the highway up to 95mph.... idled smooth after that! She was with me... and she thanked me for doin it!

21. busguy71

busguy71

I once thought that 4x4 meant "invincible in snow" and slid my dads truck sideways into a curb...... took him a while to notice the gouge on his alloy wheels......

My moms mini van went through 7 transmissions (POS '90 dodge) I may be responsible for one of them..... that little 3.0 v6 would sure light up the tires!!!

22. swimeasy

swimeasy

What a bunch of HOODLUMS!!!

23. What is the difference between your parents' car and a Jeep? :confused:

There are some places that a Jeep just won't go......;)

Yeah, I beat their car like a borrowed mule. :eek:

But now I'm on the receiving end. My son came home the other night with the roof of his car caved in. How did that happen?, I asked. I dunno.... was all I got

Paybacks are hell. :mad:

Last edited: Jul 27, 2011
  24. Ralph Moore

Ralph Moore

I remember driving in my Mom's 67 Mustang once, It was a six cyl with a 3 speed, I would always try and bark the tires upon leaving a stop sign. This time I did it the floorshift pulled right out of my hand and was leaning severly to the right. I managed to drive it home, hard shifting, and found it had broken the motor mounts!

25. esmith2039

esmith2039

All I can say pay backs will be coming in another 13 years and I won't be able to say much! Mostly OT cars but had fun in my great-grandma's 72 Torino first time over 110mph, first block long burn-out. Dad's truck the first railroad jump, snow bank jump and alot more. The subject came up with dad one day and I asked him if he really wanted to know.. he decided that he didn't. Good thing he'd probably worry everytime I use something of his. I'd almost be disappointed if one of my boy's don't tear up something.. the oldest is already doing a good job of it at 3!

26. Gman0046

Gman0046

My Dad would have whipped my ass if he had known what I did to his 59 Pontiac 389 and his 425 Buick Wildcat. As they say i was young and dumb at the time. The good news was I never did any major damage to his cars. RIP Dad.

27. R Frederick

R Frederick
    from illinois

Tell me about it. Restored my kid's Camaro a couple years ago, paint was cut/buffed smooth as glass. Now I call it the "Roy Munson Car".:rolleyes:

28. ussrjeppi

ussrjeppi
    from Iceland

well i never borought my dads car since i just took my licens at age 18 insted of 17 like the other kids , i drive safely ( like a granma my girlfrend says) but i guess my dad did all the carwrecking and crazy stuff fore both of us

29. cowboy1

cowboy1
    from Austin TX

Yep. I did have my own car at 15 but, if i need to take their car I would beat the snot out of it. They had a 1980 Impala V6 and a 1976 Monte 350V8. I boke the axle in Impala doing Donuts in the Mall parking lot!

30. Ohiomark

Ohiomark
    from Ohio

Melted the honeycomb wheels on my Mom's 73 Grand Prix SJ (455)
    after behaving like Mario Andretti in town.......my father was less
    than pleased etc.

M