Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Did Offenhauser offer "no name" valve covers?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by el Scotto, Aug 16, 2021.

1. el Scotto

el Scotto
    from Tracy, CA

Picked up a pair of finned aluminum valve covers that I thought were Cal Customs, but there were seven fins instead of six.

They're pretty heavy and after looking at all the different ones available they look like Offys just without the logo in the middle.

IMG_2461.JPG

2. Moon made no name covers

Deuces, mctim64 and lurker mick like this.
  3. el Scotto

el Scotto
    from Tracy, CA

Those have six fins as well. I made a comparison with all the finned Chevy VCs I could find and the Offys are nearly dead ringers, however they have their logo in center.

I have a set of Edelbrock "no names" on my '29 and you can see where they put a finned 'blank' in on the casting, I just couldn't see that on these, nor did I know if they made them.

56don likes this.
  4. Black Panther

Black Panther
    from SoCal

They are not Moon or Holmes...while they didn't have logos cast into the outside..the fins don't wrap around the ends...they terminate on the top.

Screenshot_20210816-125446_eBay.jpg

Bob Lowry, Max Gearhead and Deuces like this.

5. Honest Charley sold these 7 finned covers back in 1965. I looked at my 65 Honest catalog &
    there they were. I have a set on my Willy's motor & a set of Offy on my 32 5 window. They
    look the same except for the logo. I bet both were made by Offy and sold by Honest as a
    NO-NAME. I like them both. Jerry Drye C82C07F4-9B16-4CDD-B636-44E2E5FA440C.jpeg F61860D5-B16B-4A8C-BD06-50DA7E3B12BF_1_201_a.jpeg F61860D5-B16B-4A8C-BD06-50DA7E3B12BF_1_201_a.jpeg

Deuces, Max Gearhead, quick85 and 3 others like this.
  6. denis4x4

denis4x4
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Colorado

Offy did indeed make “no name” products as did several other manufacturers. There was a perception that name brand speed equipment sold in catalogs like Newhouse and JC Whitney, to name a few, were factory seconds or “blems”. Thus the “no name” or private label. Too, the manufacturers were trying to protect their speed shop customers from the mail order giants that were starting to appear on the scene in the late sixties with national advertising in the car books and selling stuff cheaper than the speed shops could buy it for.

Deuces, jnaki and Hnstray like this.
  7. el Scotto

el Scotto
    from Tracy, CA

Thank you so much for the information! Found them right there where you said they'd be!!

valvecovers.jpg

Those engines are gorgeous by the way! Art in motion, as they say! :cool:

Deuces and Speed Gems like this.