Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Did my front spring settle?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by evintho, Nov 26, 2017.

1. evintho

evintho

After a few shakedown runs I noticed my oil pan which used to be above the scrub line is now a little below it. In addition, the 'bones which had about 3/4" clearance are now rubbing against the front shock mounts. Something has definitely settled. I assume it's the front spring.

Here's a pic of the original '38 front spring with about 12 or so leaves in it...................

[​IMG]

I cleaned it up, removed a few and now I'm down to 6 leaves....................

[​IMG]

Is the settling normal? Should I add back some more leaves? I know I should probably go with a Posies spring (and may have to) but it's hard for me to justify spending that kind of $$ on a car that I've got barely three grand into. Opinions/suggestions/solutions, please.

2. gearheadbill

gearheadbill

If you have access to hydraulic press you can add some more arch to the main leaf. Its an easy-to-do process...maybe worth a try. Do a search. Lots of info here on the HAMB

3. nugget32

nugget32

4. ROADSTER1927

ROADSTER1927

Just add a couple of the original leaves back in. Re arch them if necessary.

5. alchemy

alchemy

Yep. Add back some original leaves.

6. evintho

evintho

UPDATE:
    Took your advice and added back 4 leaves. Now I have 1" clearance bone to shock mounts, an extra inch clearance ground to oil pan, tie rod and drag link are now parallel to each other, caster is now 9* instead of 13* and the car rides much better! Thanks everyone!!!
    The HAMB rocks!!

31Vicky with a hemi likes this.