Register now to get rid of these ads!

Did I tell ya... I let an 8 year old drive my deuce.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Junkyard Dog 32, Sep 3, 2003.

1. ... I think he's 8.

His name's Cole... SCALLOP53's little Hot rodder...
    ...and one of my best buddies. We were at the WSRA corn roast in Fond du Lac last weekend as it was winding down, and the blacktop lot was just about empty. I called Cole over and asked if he wanted to drive my car.
    I moved the seat up, threw a jacket under him, showed him where the clutch and brake were, and that was it.
    I climbed in the passenger seat, with my finger on the kill switch, and had him push in the clutch...
    his butt wasn't even on the seat, he was hanging off of the steering wheel... cool as hell.
    He clutch-killed it twice, so the third time, I helped with a little gas with my left foot... (he couldn't reach the gas at all)
    Nobody really knew what was going on until we went rolling past... His mom didn't seem too thrilled... Sorry JODS...
    and the people on the other end of the lot just about died when the car stopped and he got out .
    It was just a straight line, one end to the other, at idle, but he rememberd the brake and clutch, and didn't snuff it when we stopped.
    He did good.
    ...and everyone was too shocked to get a pic...

Cool Cool Cole, the Rockin' Rodder...
    As his dad would say, "What a piece of work."
    I bet I got more of a kick out of it than he did [​IMG]

I just thought it was cool...

JOE[​IMG]

2. Humboldt Cat

Humboldt Cat
    from Eureka, CA

WOW! Talk about startin' them in young. [​IMG] What a haps. What did he say did you, in the coupe?

3. Deyomatic

Deyomatic
    from CT

I thought you said there were pics? That sounds like you both had a good time. He'll probably only be 12 when he steals his parents' car for the first time, instead of 14 like everyone else.

4. Yea Joe he's 8.Did I happen to say THANKS alot,now he's ruined for life.No matter what I build just ain't gonna cut it unless it's a coupe.And in Coles words; "It has to have a big block,a blower and flames".The more I think about it,I guess I can live with that.
    Proud Dad,
    DAN

5. Petejoe

Petejoe
    from Zoar, Ohio

Wow! That kid will have that in his blood forever! I too ran across a 7 or 8 year old ogling my 37 after coming out of Lowes on a plumbing run. I asked his parents if he could jump in the seat and allowed him to get in, hit the ahoogaa and even start up the flatty. His eyes were so pleased I knew I too just started another hotrodder.

6. 48_HEMI

48_HEMI

must be the season, I let my grandson (7) drive my 57 chevy pu yesterday, I put it granny gear and had him practice the brake and clutch till he had it down. told him to keep his foot off the gas(he can't reach it anyway) then I just got out and walked beside him for a while then went over and sat under a tree for a half hour till he pulled up and put the clutch in turned the key off and asked if he could call his mom and tell her what he'd been up to.
    I knew she'd understand because I let her and her twin sister do the same thing at seven in my 65 Buick 225 electra [​IMG]

7. Antibilly

Antibilly

thats it man!!!! way to go!!! I cant wait til my boy is a little older(4) so I can teach him to drive!! [​IMG]

8. hotrodladycrusr

hotrodladycrusr

You guys are the coolest! That few minutes spent with the young folks will stay with them the rest of their lifes. Kudos to you [​IMG]

9. I kinda did the same with my son Kristofer...he's 8 too. Last summer on the way to Kansas, we stopped at Bonneville and i let him have the wheel in the Ford Focus (i know, not
    an old car) and he was stoked. He took it up to about 55 or so and then i told him to go easy on the gas peddle! he even did some donuts (not on the salt) but out near the sign
    welcoming you to Bonneville. I don't think I'll do the donut
    thing again with him, i about shit myself! but he drove fine
    in my lap. On the way to California, on a stretch of the old
    Route 66, I let him drive for about 20 miles, then had him pull into a rest stop of sorts and park it. I never had to touch the wheel once...he's got the disease already. This summer, a few times around the house I couldn't find him anywhere. Guess where he was? out in the garage sitting on a 2x4 for a seat in the model A project!! haha. I love my kids. My 7 year old daughter, Tiara has a thing for hotrods
    too. Them kids make life not half bad sometimes....
    John [​IMG]

10. Junkyard Great seeing you and Scallup53 at Fondy and loved your cars..., wish I'd stuck around and got some "action shot's"!

Scallups right ..., you ruined him for Life! Good going Bro! Now he'll assume that his dad will go right out and build him a 32 Coupe!!! (better start saving Dan!)

Sorry I left after SCALLUP53 got his well deserved trophy..., (went down to St Boniface to see cadilackid's band) Would've been Great to see the little "Nipper's" Face.

11. Thing is... I didn't just turn him into a hotrodder...
    He was born that way.

From head to toe...He's all hotrod.
    Right Dan?

Anyone coming to the ranch on Sept. 20th can meet him.
    I'll introduce ya.
    Like I said, he's a close, personal friend of mine...

...and Dan, we'll get you guys in a coupe.
    You should start now, by finding a deuce or "A" frame...
    It's about time he learns to weld, anyway. [​IMG]

JOE[​IMG]

12. yeah, my son is the same way....i'll post pics of a book he made me called "hey dad, lets go to the hot rod shop". He made a 5 or 6 page book and stapled it together with alot of illustrations in it....it's rad. I came home from work and found it in the garage. He put it where he knew I'd find it. It almost brought a tear to my eye! haha
    John

13. YEA Joe we'll have to get started.
    When I bought my house from my grandpa in the country he told me no kid should grow up without a horse.I think what he really meant was horsepower.
    DAN

14. Deyomatic

Deyomatic
    from CT

The boy is one-up on a few of my buddies (not car guys) that never learned how to drive a car with a manual tranny-and these guys are in their mid 20's!!

15. he must make his dad proud! Screw good report cards! I want to see my son get good time slips! haha

16. Hot Rod To Hell

Hot Rod To Hell
    from Flint MI

Yeah, I know what you guys are talking about! I've got a 5 yr old duaghter that loves to get nuts in her go kart. When she rides with me in the chevy II she gets pissed when we can't pull holeshots from every stop, and she wants to know when she can drive it! (it goes hi 10's/ lo 11's) I told her she'll have to wait another couple years for that, but I let her drive my daily driver on my lap! She loves to help me wrench too, not that she really knows what she's doin, but it's the thought that counts, right? [​IMG]

Oh BTW: Nothin looks cooler than a 5 yr old girl in a 5 pt harness!

17. 55olds88

55olds88

A few years back I had my 12 y/o neice driving my Olds around at a family function, you had to drive through a field to get the parking field, my neice was the oldest kid and still younger then the youngest adults and was bored as, so I took her next door showed her what to do, sat in for a couple of laps and then left her to it..... there was'n't much to worry about in the feild only 1 power pole, she missed everything and had a ball.

18. repoguy

repoguy

[ QUOTE ]

I just thought it was cool...

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree.

Joe, that kid will probably never forget that experience, or you for giving it to him.

You're the man.

19. Wowcars

Wowcars

I let Eyeball's 8(?) year old daughter steer my jellybean down the highway during our Reliability Run in July. She just sat in between my girlfriend and I with my hand CLOSE to the wheel. Had the time of her life. I don't think she needs any more coaxing to get into rodding with Eyeball as her dad, but it was fun to let her have the opportunity. Now let's see if he reads this [​IMG] [​IMG]

20. That's me folks! Cole. The hotrod rider that drove the deuce.Joe maybe another spin at the ranch.
    That's all folks!!!!
    COLE