Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Did i ruin my car?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Dynaflash_8, May 3, 2010.

1. shainerman

shainerman

For what its worth, I appreciate what youre doing. Im only 27 and have YEARS to learn still. Its not exactly what I would do, but im sure as hell glad YOURE doing it. The steelies are the way to go. And just to stir some more shit up, PROPWASH, you bashed his car on this thread, however a year ago on his build thread you were complimenting it. How bout suggestions instead of bullshit. Take a hike.

2. Pre-K

Pre-K
    from Ventura

image002.jpg

Steel works for me.

3. DirtyThirty

DirtyThirty
    from nowhere...

4. JoeS

JoeS
    from Tennessee

I like the car.........I like it better with the steel wheels though.

5. jakedmoe

jakedmoe
    from California

That Car is badass man! its all about what you like keep it up you have a mean style and i like it

6. Pre-K

Pre-K
    from Ventura

SlickSmithNash1950Nwilkesboro.jpg

For a traditional site, some of you sure don't know your NASH history...

RexfordNash.jpg
    Bill Rexford (left) accepts the keys to a 1951 Nash Rambler
    for winning the NASCAR championship in 1950. Nash Motor
    Co. was the first automotive manufacturer to be a sponsor
    in NASCAR racing.

From Wiki:Nash, Racing History Endurance

Eight Nash Ambassadors were entered in the 1950 Carrera Panamericana, a 2,172-mile (3,495 km) endurance race run over five days across Mexico. Three finished but the highest-placed was disqualified.

The 1950 model driven by Roy Pat Conner was in sixth place on the ninth and final stage, 33 minutes behind the leader, when Connor became too ill to continue. Curtis Turner, who shared another '50 Ambassador with Bill France, purchased Conner's car for its superior race position, replaced Conner at the wheel and left France to continue without him. Punctures had delayed many participants, among them a race favorite, Grand Prix driver Piero Taruffi, whose Alfa Romeo 6C 2500's tire problems had held him to 28th place on the third stage.<sup id="cite_ref-Taruffi_3-0" class="reference">[4]</sup> By the eighth stage he was up to ninth place. On the final stage Taruffi had improved to fourth when Turner passed him in the mountains by bumping the Italian until he yielded the place. Taruffi took it back when the Nash, in turn, was temporarily halted by a flat tire. But at the finish, with Taruffi in Turner's sights, the elapsed time of the ill-handling, underpowered Nash<sup id="cite_ref-Taruffi_3-1" class="reference">[4]</sup> beat the Alfa by 11½ minutes to put Turner in fourth place behind a Cadillac 62.<sup id="cite_ref-resultsB_4-0" class="reference">[5]</sup> However, regulations prohibited changing a car's crew and he was disqualified, which handed fourth, with a time 27 minutes behind the winning Oldsmobile 88, to Taruffi,<sup id="cite_ref-5" class="reference">[6]</sup>, who would win a year later.
    Bill France eventually crashed out of the race but the damage did not prevent the Nash being driven back to the U.S.A., where France and Turner used it for a full season's dirt track racing in the Southern states.<sup id="cite_ref-Taruffi_3-2" class="reference">[4]</sup>
    The France/Turner entry was one of four Nashes that crashed out. A fifth retired with engine trouble. Santoyo's 1949 Ambassador was classified 36th out of the 47 finishers and another '49 model came 39th.<sup id="cite_ref-resultsB_4-1" class="reference">[5]</sup>
    [edit] NASCAR

The Nash Motor Company was the first manufacturer that actively supported NASCAR racing. Ebenezer "Slick" Smith drove an Ambassador in the September 24, 1950 NASCAR race at North Wilkesboro Speedway. (This was the same car that Bill France had crashed in the Carrera Panamericana.) Smith crashed midway through the race and finished 20th in the field of 26. <sup id="cite_ref-6" class="reference">[7]</sup>
    For the 1952 NASCAR season, other automakers became more involved. Nash recruited and signed dynamic stars Curtis Turner and Johnny Mantz. Curtis Turner won the 150-lap NASCAR Grand National race at Charlotte Speedway on April 1, 1951. This is the only win for Nash in NASCAR.<sup id="cite_ref-7" class="reference">[8]</sup>

<sup id="cite_ref-7" class="reference"></sup>
    <sup id="cite_ref-7" class="reference">:D
    </sup>

7. el Scotto

el Scotto
    from Tracy, CA

I like the steel wheels better.

For what it's worth, I like your car just fine.

It has a genuine "first hot rod" feel. I really dig these kind of cars. Not all are nice, but they have a feeling you will never have with your successive hot rods. Once you "get it", you lose that feeling. There are lots of guys out there who know that feeling and try to recapture it but can't. They know too much now.

You know what I mean?

Last edited: May 3, 2010
  8. DirtyThirty

DirtyThirty
    from nowhere...

Ahhhhh.....you said a mouthful...
    It's a fine line to walk...

9. zmcmil2121

zmcmil2121

A little, I think the wheels could be replaced with good ol' steelies and the the paint could be outlined with stripes. Just my .02

10. LUX BLUE

LUX BLUE
    Alliance Vendor
    from AUSTIN,TX

just needs a little more depth.

I am not smashin ya kid. consider these options...

#1-the scallops need some length to them. I ralize that it is a mild to moderate pain in the ass to get long scallops straight, and even harder to get them to "flow" on a really curvy car, but You can pull it off.

#2- I like cragars, but they are more of a late 60's, early 70's gig. and what you are building smacks of being a hot rod. with the pseudo blingyness of cragars, the style gets confused.

#3-the numbers on the door gotta go. they either need to look like they mean business (meaning bigger and thicker) or just go away. and they aren't really working with the scallops. one or the other would be fine.

#4- in the event you paint big ass numbers on the doors of your car, they had better mean something, and you had better have some guts under the hood, otherwise, it's just posing. if it's a traditional look you want, half ass washed out shoe polish on the quarter glass means waaay more to me than big numbers on the door. and it's cheaper. it will only cost you one weeknight down at your local dragstrip.

keep the faith. study style. you have something alot of folks don't- a running, driving hot rod.

11. LUX BLUE

LUX BLUE
    Alliance Vendor
    from AUSTIN,TX

wow. you're over 60 and you said dude. and you like vettes. are there ANY men in your family?

12. No u did not ruin itI think it is grate u are doing it your self
    most kids are out of toutch old hot rods
    it is yours
    if they don't like it tell them to open there wallet and comon over and help teach me
    as a kid i could barly afford a spray can when i started
    and i rewened a lot of cars
    traditional hot rod do sompthing and drive it
    congrads on your car

13. 51pontiac

51pontiac
    from Alberta

It's your car - if you think it is cool then it is! It is on the road and being loved again! I did some stuff to my 51 Pontiac in 1974 that I sure wouldn't do now but hey - I liked it! The key here (and I speak from experience) is if you plan on keeping it forever like I did, don't mess up anything that can't be fixed later and especially, if you take something unique off the car - don't throw it away if possible, keep it for the next version. Cheers
    just my opinion

14. SpeedAddict001

SpeedAddict001
    from Alaska

I for one am glad to see a young guy working so hard to put his hot rod dream on the road! At 19, my son was getting into trouble and playing dumb ass video games and wasting his time. I only wish he had been building hot rods. Keep it up! I love your Nash and mainly because it is YOURS and you are building it the way that you want it. I think it has the feel of an old hot rod and if you decide to do it different, you can change it. Keep on building them, we don't have enough young people working hard to build their dreams, so you guys doing the bashing, go to your own garage, build something good and shut up!

SpeedAddict001

15. SpeedAddict001

SpeedAddict001
    from Alaska

Or build something under the tree in the back yard as we did when I was a kid.... You all might not have garages.... LOL.

SpeedAddict001

16. Free elephant shit......is still elephant shit!!!! Don't like it!

17. LOWCAB

LOWCAB
    from Houston

Please stop, you are making me laugh too hard.

18. Stevie Nash

Stevie Nash

I like your Nash! My only opinion is keep the steel wheels, but somehow get some separation between the rubber and rims. Could be painting them, chrome trim rings, wide whites (make anything look good!), etc...

And hey, I say "dude" all of the time, but I spent most of my 20's in the '80s... :cool:

19. Lone Star Mopar

Lone Star Mopar

20. J'st Wandering

J'st Wandering

If you are going for the look of an old dirt track car, I don't think the scallops and number on the doors are that far off from "back in the day". Around here, the circle track cars were painted cheap and somewhat crude. I would drop the rear end down to level off the car but the rest is good.

Like it is said, pick your theme and era and stick with it. The chrome rims pull you out of the 50's and stick the car in the '70s.

I have learned with my cars that some people will appreciate what you have done and some won't. Don't loose sleep over it and enjoy what you have built.

Neal

21. HRod 50

HRod 50

I like it. I lvoe the Scallops but I'm a scallop guy.. I agree the rear wheel needs to be bigger.. Keep it up Man, looks killer...

22. xhotrodder

xhotrodder

You asked, my answer is yes.Sorry.

23. codeblu

codeblu

Definitely not diggin' the Chrome wheels, hunkered down on the Black steelies, small Nash caps would look tough. Didn't someone run one of these a Bonneville sometime back?

24. thewishartkid

thewishartkid

What style are you going for? 50's dirt race car,(w/number) 60's show car (w/ scallops) 70's(jacked up in back) RatRod(racing around in the fields & woods) street rod( chrome wheels) Whats the plan!!!

25. bubba69

bubba69

It fits the style you are going for. In my opinion you should put the rear end back to stock or a litle lower and then lower the front end. I will look a lot meaner that way.

26. Shawn M

Shawn M

This one doesn't even have a car, his profile says he's looking:rolleyes:. We've all seen this before!

27. GearHead614

GearHead614

Looks good marty! i would keep the steelies and maybe put on some trim rings...i love the Nascar look for any car

28. 31fordV860

31fordV860

Lose Scallops , Number....go All Black semi gloss, black steelies wide whites..lower back...

29. Here's what I would do if I were going for a circle track look (sorry for the poor Photoshop quickie)

[​IMG]

Raised the front end about 2" (vintage stock cars actually rode quite high), removed the scallops, shrunk the numerals & moved them more toward the center of the door, added 'sponsor' lettering/decal, and radiused the rear fenders.

30. ive liked what yourve done with this from day one. after all, whats a bit of paint and some rims?
    its easy to change around and your expierimenting with what you got.
    if i had your skills and workshop, i wouldnt be on here hitting keys. your doing great for your age and your doing it all yourself. i guess some of us like ugly cars and some dont.
    do what you feel.
    for what its worth, i like the bling, but the eras are wrong. i recon some chromies with wide whites would tart it up nicely. it would give it a more old hot rod look.