Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Did I Mess It Up ?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by bobg1951chevy, May 19, 2016.

1. My '51 Chevy is 12 volt, with Petronix.
    Went to start it tonight, turned the key "on", hit the starter button, but the battery was dead.
    My 12 volt Battery Tender has stopped working .....
    I connected my large charger to the car, only at 2 amps., then went into the house.
    After 5 to 10 minutes in the house, I realized I did not turn the key off, before connecting the charger.
    Key was still "on" for that short time.
    Did I mess up the Petronix, by leaving the key on, with the charger running?
    Battery is still charging, haven't tried to start it up yet.

benke likes this.
  2. upspirate

upspirate

I guess quickest way to tell will be to start it up!!

I've left mine on for a while, but never that long

3. I doubt it got messed up

4. Electronic (pointless) distributors won't apply power through the coil unless they have received a pulse from the sensor. You won't fry your coil like you would if you were unlucky enough to stop when your points are closed with a points-type ignition.

5. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

The Ignitor I had issues with leaving the key on for a long period of time with the engine not running.

That's how I ruined the ONLY Pertronix unit I have ever seen fail, and I have installed over 100.

Boeing Bomber likes this.
  6. jcmarz

jcmarz
    from Chino, Ca

7. jeffd1988

jeffd1988

Just start her up. Is the only way to find out. Good luck.

8. Hollister Kopp

Hollister Kopp

I put a Pertronix in my wife's Caddy. Once I left the ignition on all night, and freaked out when I realized it the next day. Charged the battery and it fired right up. I guess I got lucky.

9. The battery is now fully charged, good lights, but starter only clicks, with no crank.
    With lights on, pressing starter button will kill the lights. No crank.

10. dudley32

dudley32

check your connections...wouldn't have anything to do with turning the motor over...especially since you say battery is fully charged.

57 HEAP likes this.
  11. Petejoe

Petejoe
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Zoar, Ohio

I'd suspect a bad battery first. Have it checked. A battery will show a charge but still have bad cells. Next would be your cables. After that your solenoid.

indestructableforce likes this.
  12. oj

oj

The pertronix pickup would have to be in the exact spot to trigger a signal to the coil, if the coil isn't hot to the touch you'll be fine. Every so often, on the race car I'll turn the ignition 'On' and the engine will fire off. It is sitting in that exact spot to tell the coil to fire. Very rare but does happen.

13. putz

putz
    from wisc.

i left the key on overnite the coil had gotten so hot that the inners of coil housing actually became so hot it boiled out .........

14. steinauge

steinauge
    from 1960

Sounds like a bad ground connection,Check BOTH ends of both the ground and positive cables.I had one that was loose inside the eyelet on a brand new cable once,drove me nuts!

slack likes this.
  15. belair

belair

If it is a II or III it is not hurt. Might not be anyway.

16. Ebbsspeed

Ebbsspeed
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

As a geek with an electrical engineering degree, I'm trying to wrap my head around how an inductive trigger system can generate a signal when there is no relative movement between the magnet and inductor coil.
    Can anyone on here explain this? It doesn't adhere to the laws of physics.

17. You either have a bad connection, a bad read on full charge or a bad battery.

18. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

I go with the 2nd quote - as I remember, the Pertronix install instructions warn not to leave key on without engine running, even for a few minutes. but, question is why using a battery tender in the first place? yep, need to fully check true condition of battery & cables and connections.

19. Blues4U

Blues4U
    from So Cal

I was thinking the same thing. The Pertronix system uses the Hall Effect, which requires motion between the magnetic ring and the sensor. There is no way the engine would have fired the way the guy described. Besides, it would have required a signal sent to the starter solenoid to cause it to engage, the Pertronix ignition has no means of doing that.

20. Blues4U

Blues4U
    from So Cal

This.

21. hinklejd

hinklejd
    from Fort Worth

It's obvious.

Gremlins. Don't feed 'em after midnight.

22. Muttley

Muttley

[​IMG]

23. hinklejd

hinklejd
    from Fort Worth

Magic is what makes you scoot to the next fillup downhill with a tailwind and roll in on fumes. Magic is good.

Gremlins slide in at night when you're not looking and corrode batteries, loosen terminals, move safety switches to a different position than you 'know' you left it, and generally cause havoc. Gremlins are not good.

There are only two ways that switching on the ignition can cause the engine to start. Either it's not a true Hall effect with a sine wave signal bit rather a magnetic proximity switch with a square wave signal and there was a compressed fuel/air charge and the fuel pump was operating and the piston position was just right for the spark to ignite and push the piston down in the correct direction to support the combustion cycle and all the stars aligned...or gremlins. Since it only happened infrequently, my money is on gremlins. Just chalk it up and move on. Cold beer is warming up.

24. hinklejd

hinklejd
    from Fort Worth

To OP Bob - can't troubleshoot anything until it stops working. Get a battery with a good charge and try to start it up. If it works, then your ignition is fine. If not, report back and we'll help to get you sorted out.

25. Late, real late to the party, but the battery was the culprit, not the Petronix.

26. That's ok, we had it figured out back in May :p

27. LOL, I know. :confused: