Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Did I do this right?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Jerrybigbird, Oct 21, 2015.

1. Jerrybigbird

Jerrybigbird
    from Montana

Is that really the angle of the spring shackles or are they to long? That's a speedway spring 20151021_130342.jpg

2. millersgarage

millersgarage

you'll need to put some weight on the spring to know for sure. Put the wheels on it, and put it on the ground, then have a buddy sit on the frame.

3. dumprat

dumprat
    from b.c.

The spring should be tight with no weight on it. Shackles should be parallel to the ground.

Jerrybigbird likes this.
  4. Jerrybigbird

Jerrybigbird
    from Montana

That's kind of what I thought

5. patmanta

patmanta
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Woburn, MA
    1. MASSACHUSETTS HAMB

How far apart are those spring hangers?
    What Speedway spring is that?
    What size are the shackles?

(but no, it doesn't look right to me either)

6. Maybe it's the angle of the pic but the housing appears offset to the right about an inch to much??? And yes, you do need more weight on it to actually tell. Tim

7. aaggie

aaggie

My old chassis builders guide says with full weight on the suspension the shackles should be at 45# angle.

clem likes this.
  8. Jerrybigbird

Jerrybigbird
    from Montana

This is the way the ccr plans say it build it all dimensions are right out of the ccr Manuel

9. Jerrybigbird

Jerrybigbird
    from Montana

Housing is offset it's a Ford 9 inch

10. blackout78666

blackout78666

Pinion and yoke is offset.Housing should be centered. It'll look better too!balance.....

11. Here's my T spring without and with weight 000_0003.jpg 100_5433.jpg

12. chessterd5

chessterd5
    from u.s.a.

The whole assembly looks like its off about 3 inches? to the right. make sure your top spring mount is in the center of the frame. Then drill a hole in the center of the plate, top & bottom piece so the center bolt of the spring itself acts like a line up pin to center the rear spring to the frame. Then make sure the spring mounts on the axle housing are the same distance in from the backing plates. The housing (pumpkin) should be centered. fine tune it from there & see what you got.

13. On mine the housing is offset because the pinion is offset, can't always center the housing.

clem, roundvalley and Jerrybigbird like this.
  14. Jerrybigbird

Jerrybigbird
    from Montana

So do I cut the axle tube and lengthen or shorten one side?

15. Looks like it was installed with no preload, there should be a spec for the perch hole center dimension where they should be welded to the axle. Normally, A rear spring perches are 49" center to center (This is just an example, I don't know what your spring is copied from exactly, looks like a T rear). Then you get your spring spreader and open up the spring until the shackles can be installed. Spread the spring with it installed and secure in the crossmember, that center bolt can snap and become a bullet, or the spring will take off, both which can quite literally kill you or those standing near by. You can center the housing with an offset pinion, not a big deal.

Last edited: Oct 21, 2015
  16. roundvalley

roundvalley

Looks like very long shackles. What is the length of those shackles centerline bolt to bolt? The after market ones I us are 1-1/2" like SWADE. 1-1/2" shackles may get them parallel. Swade is also correct about centering.

17. Gene Boul

Gene Boul

As above looks way out of square. Rear end needs to be in the center of chassis. Decide how wide you want the rear to be and either cut it off or better yet get another 9". There are a zillion widths of 9" ers!
    Everything I ever built had the shackles @ a 45 with the weight on it!

18. studeynut

studeynut

Some excellent books were written by Tex Smith that could help you out on a lot of details. "How to build a hotrod chassis", "How to build a Ford hotrod", "How to build a Chevy hotrod", and many more. Well written and easy to understand, I used them with my 7-8th grade students in a shop class 15 years ago. Good to have in your library.

19. clem

clem

Only if you are capable of this, otherwise get a professional to do it.

20. theHIGHLANDER

theHIGHLANDER
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

As officer Bimbo said in Hollywood Knights, this shit is waaaayy outta line...

You got some good advice already so some sarcasm is surely required:cool: