Register now to get rid of these ads!

Did I buy a sport coupe or cabriolet?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by sirhc, Jun 14, 2009.

1. sirhc

sirhc
    from Boise, ID

Good afternoon,

I've searched around to the best of my ability, but can't seem to nail this down. I'm guessing this is a sport coupe, but cant be sure.

The car has no windshield top, and I can't be sure the doors are original. The "b pillar" has been cut off too...

I'll work on getting some better pictures.

Thanks!

Chris

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. 1928 or 29 sport coupe with B pillars cut off

3. flatford39

flatford39

Is that an air vent door on the passenger side cowl??? If it is this is probably a very early 28. That cowl panel is worth money to a restorer. Looks like a sport coupe to me.

4. pasadenahotrod

pasadenahotrod
    from Texas

Model A Cabriolets are all wood construction cars. As the car you have is steel construction it is a Sport or perhaps a Special Coupe with the top off and door tops removed.

5. twofosho

twofosho

The way the tops of the doors are trashed, I'd hazard a guess it was a Sport Coupe.

With the need to replace or repair the doors to make a car out of it, does it really matter? Decent looking shell from what I can see in the pics. Just find a pair of unhashed Coupe or Tudor doors and you are on your way.

If you decide to do it as a Sport Coupe and you're on a tight budget, you'll probably go into shock when you see the price of the wood kit, that's the stinker keeping my brother from finishing his. Looks like we'll get my 30 Tudor going first.

My brother has two cars and a bunch of 28-9 bits and pieces and is thinking of selling off , PM me with your info and I'll forward it to him.

6. No way is that a Special Coupe, as the top has not been cut off. Could you mean a Business Coupe?

7. SlamCouver

SlamCouver
    from Brazil, IL

It is a 28 sport coupe with the tops cut off. the cabriolet shared the same cowl as the 28-29 briggs fordor, with gastank mounted on inside of the cowl.

8. Looks like a normal '28/'29 tank to me.

9. sirhc

sirhc
    from Boise, ID

Thanks for the information guys. That is a vent door on the passenger side of the cowl, so it sounds like an early 28' sport coupe.

I'd like to build a roadster, perhaps I'll pursue selling this and buying one... or perhaps a trade if someone was interested. If I don't have any luck with that, maybe she'll become a coupster.

Thanks again!

Chris

10. Reds 29

Reds 29

In 28-29 the standard coupe, special coupe and sport coupe all shared the same lower body. Different tops and wood pieces were bolted on to the flange on the top of the lower body. You may be missing the piece above the windshield, depending on what it was originally. It definitely is not a cabriolet, as has been said before.
    Red

11. The37Kid

The37Kid

Yes, the tank is a 28-29 but the Cabriolet and Briggs Fordoor had a fully stamped cowl that the normal tank fit under. If you ever see one the firewall will have a 2 1/2 -3 inch spacer and the hoods have a bead on the top halves. :)

12. ironandsteele

ironandsteele

there ya go-i'd believe slamcouver, he's a sport coupe nut.

13. resuwrecktion

resuwrecktion

are your doors for sale?
    thanks,paul

14. sirhc

sirhc
    from Boise, ID

Sure... I've already taken taken them off and put the new ones on.

Shoot me a PM if you like.