Register now to get rid of these ads!

Did Ford make an A Model 3W Coupe?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by andydodge, Nov 11, 2010.

1. From my understanding 28-31 Model A Coupes were all 5 window style and therefore the "3W" term doesn't apply. I am only refering to a steel topped coupe with the fabric insert, Sport Coupes don't count.....reason I ask is that I had an inquiry today from a woman wanting to buy a model ( I own www.scaleautomobilia.com.au) of a 30-31 Ford 3 Window Coupe, I advised her that I didn't think Ford made such an animal, she assured me her husband owned a pair of them in 1:1 scale. Anyway am happy to be proven wrong.........andyd

2. striper

striper

I think you are safe

3. DocWatson

DocWatson
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

You are not the wrong party here, Ford never made a 3 window A28/9 or 30/1. Smile, be nice and build her what she wants.

Doc.

dana barlow likes this.
  4. Ask her for a couple photos...

5. miwi

miwi
    from Germany

Last edited: Nov 11, 2010
  6. I'm with Rich on this one. Tell her you're going to need photos to see just what it is they have (probably sport coupes). She could wind up being a long term customer. Never a bad thing.....Don.

7. theHIGHLANDER

theHIGHLANDER
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Ford built a Model A 3W. No you say? I'll scan it later and post it up after you've all called me names and such. They built a LeBaron spt phaeton too. That's a dual cowl phaeton for those who don't cypher spt phaeton. I'd have to dig pretty deep to get those pics and scan em and I don't feel like it right now. I will do the coupe for y'all in a few hrs.

joep4567 and volvobrynk like this.
  8. Yeah,,they built a couple of them,,

This is a post by C9 a few years ago.

This one is noted as a phantom, but there are some who think it's the same car as the black factory three window shown below.
    [​IMG]

This pic was shot in front of the Ford factory.
    [​IMG]

Another pic of the one shown above.
    The info at the bottom of the pic was on the photo.
    [​IMG][/I]
    C9. The top picture was Sam Bergman's 1931 prototype 3 window coupe reported to be one of the rarest factory Model A's in existence. Mr. Bergman's coupe is alleged to have been one of Edsel Ford's own personal cars. It had a C engine under it's hood, was maroon in color with of course black fenders. In addition, the car had 105,000 original miles when found. Seen at 1974 MAFCA National Queen Mary Meet and the 1990 San Diego National Meet. - From the September 2005 Newsletter, The Quips, of the Cuesta Crankers of San Luis Obispo County, California

9. Were these true factory completed cars or chassis' and sheet metal sent out to custom body manufacturers like Brewster and others to finish?

10. DocWatson

DocWatson
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Yeah, and they were that common that 'Joe Blogg's' around the corned had two of them! In Australia of all places!! :rolleyes:

Doc.

11. That's interesting stuff there HOTRODPRIMER. It's a shame Ford didn't put these prototypes into production. That 3 window coupe actually looks pretty darn cool. I think Henry would have had a hit with it...note how civil we've all become theHIGHLANDER, no name calling:)

brEad likes this.
  12. If they have two of 'em, they're sitting on a gold mine. In fact if they only had ONE of them, they would be sitting on a gold mine.

13. DocWatson

DocWatson
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Oops I missed the name calling bit.......er.........you.........er............popo bum bum head! (Heard that one in Subway today).

Doc.

brEad likes this.
  14. theHIGHLANDER

theHIGHLANDER
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

:D:D:D:D:D

Ok I was fuckin with ya! That last pic was the one I was going to scan so thanks for that. Yes they were engineering studies but complete cars. The way i see it, it gives us proportions and ideas to carry into today. And yes lothiandon1940, I noticed the civility. Isn't that nice for a change? Good stuff guys...

15. Hot Rod Willys

Hot Rod Willys
    from Ohio

So.........how many were built and are any around today? I would bet that woman was talking about sport coupes.

16. tommy

tommy
    Member Emeritus

Ford didn't but the fiberglass industry makes one. She may have 2 of those and think that they are real. We have one that comes to our Sunday morning cruise.

17. Weasel

Weasel

This subject has come up on this board a couple of times - the search would have giben these answer to the OP's question. Reputedly Ford built two prototypes and one got out which is the one that has been mentioned above as having been seen at a couple of meets.

Just because you have never heard of it, doesn't mean it didn't happen.:rolleyes:

Kan Kustom and volvobrynk like this.
  18. jimi'shemi291

jimi'shemi291

[​IMG]

Great info on this thread, everybody. Super pix, HotRodPrimer. They really seem to underscore that, in the '30/'31 period, Edsel was finally bringing Henry around to the reality that progressive designs and engineering were needed if Ford was to stay competitive.

Though I love Model As, I'm not a student, so I'd like to ASK those knowledgeable about the "C" engine you referred to. Is that the improved A-Model four-banger? Thanks; keep up the good work!

19. As I stated in my earlier post,,this information was originally posted by C9,sadly he is no longer with us to clarify the information.

The difference in the look of the cars is undeniable but the existence of the cars is unquestionable,but like everything else posted on the Hamb a little information is never enough. HRP

dana barlow likes this.
  20. The37Kid

The37Kid

Just so nobody looses a bar bet on Model T Ford 3 and 5 window Coupes, Ford made one around 1919 whit a removable B pillar so they could look like both.

21. Weasel

Weasel

1915 to 1917 I believe and it was called the Couplet....Here's a photo

[​IMG]

DylanHill1931 likes this.
  22. Somebody described the 3-window design as "progressive thinking" but I've always been under the impression that they were budget coupes that just happen to be able to be built into awesome hotrods. (I owned a '34 Chevy 3-window)

23. Heres one that was around L.A. pics from the 60's....
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

24. Hot Rod Willys

Hot Rod Willys
    from Ohio

Wow! I wonder where that three window is today? Thanks Nostalgia59!

25. highboy_04

highboy_04
    from Kansas

the sport coupe was technically a 3 window.......

sunbeam likes this.
  26. 296 V8

296 V8
    BANNED
    from Nor~Cal

No left side mount on the ones in the old photos.....3 cars?

Note the lack of a bead on the 1/4's

Last edited: Nov 11, 2010
    DylanHill1931 likes this.
  27. BCCHOPIT

BCCHOPIT

I was told Henry didnt like the the look of the 3 window so he didnt make many.
    I think it would look better with a sun visor

DylanHill1931 and volvobrynk like this.
  28. lawman

lawman

They all look soooo good !!! LOL Tom (Tired Old Man)

29. 30sx

30sx
    from canada

maybe she is one year off and it;s a 32 ford

30. 28hiboy

28hiboy
    from Milton, Fl

I really like the 31 slant window! Never knew, thanks for the info.