Register now to get rid of these ads!

Motion Pictures Did anyone catch "GRAN PRIX" on TCM tonight?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Jarzenhotrods, Apr 22, 2010.

1. Beach Bum

Beach Bum

They also had a rig they towed behind the GT40 they called the "Chariot" with a car body mounted to it to get in car shots of the actors. Apparently the guy who played Nino Barlini, Antonio Sabato, was kind of a dick, so when his turn came to have to ride the "Chariot" the GT40 driver, Chris Amon, really wrung it out and scared the living crap out of Sabato.

2. Beach Bum

Beach Bum

The GT40 camera car films Aron's burning Yamura at Brands Hatch.
    [​IMG]

And of course, the absolute best part of Grand Prix.......
    Francoise Hardy.
    [​IMG]

3. waldo53

waldo53
    from ID

I watched it last night to, for the umpteenth time but first time in HD. Great movie, as is LeMans. Another race flick you younger guys might not have heard of is The Big Wheel, with Mickey Rooney as a cocky young midget driver that eventually gets to go to Indy. This is an oldy, special effects are a little lacking but has some actual racing footage that is pretty cool. Enjoy!

4. Grand Prix,LeMans,and The Big Wheel are my favorite movies! I watch one of them,at least once a week. The sound is just amazing! The Ferraris and Porsches in LeMans can't be beat! The cars starting up in the begining of Grand Prix....music! Sweet music...

BTW-there's a great movie about Stock Car Racing.....Spin Out,with Nancy Sinatra Elvis! hahaha!!!!

5. krooser

krooser

Great movie...the "Making of...." was fabulous.

Another good one is "To Please A Lady".... great early 50's midget and Indy action....

6. Jarzenhotrods

Jarzenhotrods
    from .......

I have The Big Wheel on dvbd but have never watched it. I will have to give it a try.

Also I wonder what happened to the gt40.

7. URY914

URY914

I have the Popular Mech issue that has the article about how they filmed it,

Attached Files:

8. URY914

URY914

More :):):)

Attached Files:

9. URY914

URY914

:):d:):d:)

Attached Files:

10. URY914

URY914

I saw in Tampa too at the Palace Theater downtown.

11. URY914

URY914

:):):)

Attached Files:

12. rivguy

rivguy

When I first heard of "To please a lady" it sounded kind of gay, but it is really pretty good. There is one sequence where Gable is rebuilding the car's engine which is pretty cool.

13. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I watched that last night to see his dune buggy, but I too noticed the hot rod outside the Woolworths. Chopped and channeled 5 window. 33 with a deuce shell???
    upload_2022-11-6_12-14-54.png

stillrunners likes this.
  14. MeanGene427

MeanGene427
    from Napa

You were very lucky if you ever got to hear the early Honda V12 F1 cars with a real driver under race conditions- lot of vintage race stuff with playboy drivers, just not the same- but still pretty good. The Ferrari V12s were like fine wine, but the Hondas were like 3 shots of good tequila

Last edited: Nov 7, 2022
  15. MeanGene427

MeanGene427
    from Napa

In the early 60s Honda built some incredibly complex and sophisticated GP motorcycles- how about a 50cc Twin, 16hp and 22,500 rpm

16. MCjim

MCjim
    from soCal

and-like-that-hes-gone-the-usual-suspects.gif
    Prepare to be "moderated"

17. I just watched it recently and it was great !the sound of those engines running is awesome!Had to turn the volume up for that great mechanical music!