Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Did Ansen make a selector shifter for Hydro's?

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by mutant55, Sep 13, 2015.

1. mutant55

mutant55

So I bought a couple B&M Hydro Stick transmissions from a local transmission shop that the owners father had been storing for decades. One of them had this shifter bolted to it, obviously missing the original handle, and all of the linkage, besides being fairly rusty. I cleaned it up to see what I had, and that is what is in these pictures. After seeing pictures that Lytels Garage posted in "rare shifter collecting" I thought what I had here was an Ansen Selector Shifter. But, I have been told selector shifters were for stick shift transmissions, not automatics. Does anybody have any info on this shifter or the Ansen / Hydro relationship? Any info would be appreciated. image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg

2. 56sedandelivery

56sedandelivery
    Member Emeritus

It's for a manual trans selector-shift. Ansen did make Hydro shifters, course finding one now is almost impossible. There's an all aluminum shifter on that auction site we all know and love, and it could be adapted to a Hydro, but you'd probably not have anything more than the transmission itself internal detents. They use them for just about any automatic in roundy-round cars. I'd just use a Mustang-Pinto type of floor shifter and remake the detent plate to work with the Hydro. Of the 4 Hydros I've had over the years, one was a Hurst Hydro-Gate, another a Drag-Fast, and the last was a no-name shifter. I am Butch/56sedandelivery.