Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Did all '32's have HEAVY front axles?

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by The37Kid, Oct 16, 2017.

1. Fordors

Fordors

I would expect the revised but similar ‘33-‘36 axles to have a suffix letter on the engineering drawings and in parts books. An example might be B-3010-C, Ford would have kept the basic number the same because the part was directly interchangeable with the original, earlier version.
    Regarding Ford part numbers for the early V8’s would the basic 3010 number designate a front axle with the ‘32-‘36 axles being B-3010-(x) and then when the ‘37 came out was the prefix changed to 78-3010-(x)? I’m thinking there was a need for the new prefix because of the different spacing of the perch bolts.

2. It is general engineering practice not to change the part number if the new design is interchangeable with the old, thus the lighter axle carries the same part number as the earlier heavy axle.

Charlie Stephens

clem and H380 like this.
  3. clem

clem

Thanks for your replies.
    To me this is what makes the HAMB so interesting.

4. clem

clem

Thanks for your comments.

Although after reading posts 61 & 62, one would wonder why some would have no part number at all.
    Possibly something to do with being made in different factories, - I don’t know.

5. Fordors

Fordors

I agree about the possibility of different forge shops, some used a forging number (B 3010) and some used their mark and some may not have used anything. I have a Model A axle that was dropped by Mor-Drop BITD and it has a triangle with the letter F inside. The letter is not script like in the Ford logo.
    On a ‘32 axle I have there is no p/n, only EE T, with the EE designating the steel used and the T ??