Register now to get rid of these ads!

History DICK "MAGOO" MEGUGORAC'S STORY: HIS CHOPPED '49 MERC...

Discussion in 'Traditional Customs' started by Jonnie King, Jan 28, 2016.

1. Jonnie King

Jonnie King
    from St. Louis

TO MY FRIENDS HERE ON THE H.A.M.B...

As I mentioned before, I have a Tribute on the Hall Of Fame Legends Site to honor Dick. There'll be one of his Interview Sessions stories every week, FOUR in all, covering his history that began in 1944.

Last week, the AMBR Winning "DEUCARI" was featured, this week I've added one of his rarest builds: His chopped '49 Merc coupe. Rare for Dick because, always specialized in Hi Boys & Roadsters , he had NEVER built a custom, and, NEVER chopped a top !!

BUT, at the beginning of the New Millenium, while he was living in Phoenix, he got the urge to do a Merc...and this one turned-out perfectly with the "Magoo Magic Touch" ! (PLUS, Dick tells about another iconic Legend who gave him guidance on chopping the top !)

This is truly an Interview that you'll love hearing, especially if you never got the chance to meet Dick in-person...he was one of the ultimate story-tellers, had never had his history recorded before, and will blow you away with his fun, enthusiasm, and, love of hot rodding ! Here's the Link that will take you to the Interview:
    http://www.legends.thewwbc.net/gpage22.html

Enjoy...and, if you've got a Magoo story, let's hear it !

Jonnie www.legends.thewwbc.net
    [​IMG]

LOU WELLS likes this.
  2. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

Terrific - Thanks for sharing - his "first" chopped Merc is beautiful

3. denis4x4

denis4x4
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Colorado

We did a Zonie Motors tour with Dick and Lois and at a gas stop in Wyoming, I parked our '66 Olds Tornado next to the Merc and Lois pointed out to Dick that our car was an inch or so lower and the windshield was three times as tall! In other words, according to Lois, we got to see more scenery!

4. When I graduated high school in 1974 I went to work for a local Brake Supply house Canoga Park, CA.
    That's when I met Dick, but always called him "Maggo"
    He was a hoot. He always had time to show you something he was doing.
    I would tell him sometimes that he had a Jimmy Durante nose.
    I'm glad I got to meet him. RIP-"Maggo"

5. Jonnie King

Jonnie King
    from St. Louis

Jalopy Joker
    You're welcome ! Glad you enjoyed it ! To see that car upclose was to really appreciate all of the work Dick did to it...just awesome ! Flawless !!
    JK www.legends.thewwbc.net

6. Jonnie King

Jonnie King
    from St. Louis

denis4X4...
    Very cool story ! Lois was Dick's perfect "navigator" on all their trips. She also, as he mentions in this story, did ALL of the upholstery work in his cars. Just a really neat lady to know ! http://www.legends.thewwbc.net/gpage22.html

Thanks !

Jonnie www.legend.thewwbc.net

7. Jonnie King

Jonnie King
    from St. Louis

captaintaytay...

Glad you got to meet him & spend time with him too...especially in those early days.
    A kind, generous hot rodder who was in reality one of the ultimate B-E-S-T of all-time

Dick always had a kind word for everybody, and, even though he worked tirelessly on every car he built, he always just "took it in stride"...NEVER had an "ego" about what he did. You can hear that fully in this Interview:

Thanks so much for your story !

captaintaytay likes this.
  8. I got to know Magoo pretty well growing up in phoenix. My dad upholstered many of his roadsters in the past and did some work with him when I worked for my dad. He would drop by the shop pretty often and swap stories with my dad. He was a nice guy, and very knowledgable.

Jonnie King likes this.
  9. HOLLYWOOD GRAHAM

HOLLYWOOD GRAHAM
    from Ojai,Ca

Where is the Merc. now, anybody know?

10. Jonnie King

Jonnie King
    from St. Louis

HOLLYWOOD GRAHAM...
    Yes, I ask Dick that question during the Interview. Sidney Allen is the one, he has a number of Dick's cars in his collection. But, as he talks about in this story, he "drove the wheels off of it" after he built it !
    Thanks !

11. Jonnie King

Jonnie King
    from St. Louis

voodookustoms...

Great story ! So good that you're Dad was able to work with Dick...two Pros for sure ! I'm sure you learned some of those skills that you use on that Vicky of yours from your Dad who must have done excellent upholstery in all the cars that he worked on !

Dick's stories always amazed me, we spent much time together before I started the HOF Legends Series Interviews, and he always came up with something new to talk about. He brought that same excitement to anything I asked him in the Interviews ! http://www.legends.thewwbc.net/gpage22.html

Last edited: Feb 1, 2016
  12. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

another chance to read this

13. greybeard360

greybeard360

Looking at that Merc makes me want to go out and buy a smoothy.... no glitter, no trinkets, no over the top paint job.

Just one smooth looking custom.....

14. Jonnie King

Jonnie King
    from St. Louis

greybeard360...
    You got that right ! That's exactly what Dick wanted to do, and he mentions that in the Interview...just plain "clean" through the entire build of that car. http://www.legends.thewwbc.net/gpage22.html