Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Diaphragm clutch for flatheads using OEM throw out bearing and three speed

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by banjorear, Apr 10, 2018.

1. banjorear

banjorear

Does anyone know of a manufacturer making a diaphragm-type clutch for flatheads using an OEM-style throw out bearing and 3 speed input shaft?

Thanks,

2. V8 Bob

V8 Bob
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Diaphragms are available for both small (bent finger) and large (straight finger) throw out bearings. Most have the normal evenly spaced bolt circle, like the Borg&Becks on '49-'53 Mercs, but some are direct replacement for the Ford Long style. Centerforce is one major supplier, while any good clutch rebuilder can match your Long/B&B finger height and T/O bearing with an off the shelf diaphragm, like our local shop has done for myself and friends.

3. banjorear

banjorear

Hi V8 Bob:

Thank you. Are you currently using a diaphragm-type clutch behind your flatheads? If so, do you like them?

4. V8 Bob

V8 Bob
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I am using a 10.4" bent finger diaphragm from our local shop behind the built flathead in my '32, along with a stock '51 Merc T/O bearing on a Mustang T-5. I also bought a larger beefier one for the 428 CJ going into my '40. Ford hasn't used a Long for over 40 years, and for good reasons. They require less pedal effort, and are cheaper because of a much simpler design. No good reason not to switch to a diaphragm. :)

5. ydopen

ydopen

Denns1989 likes this.
  6. banjorear

banjorear

Denns1989 likes this.
  7. boo

boo
    from stuart,fl.

last week i pulled the orig. 34 engine out of my 34 rdst that came from argentina, it has a diafram clutch in it ????

8. Bruce Lancaster

Bruce Lancaster
    Member Emeritus

A stock '34 used a clutch pressure plate that bolted onto a raised flange on the flywheel, so the bolt flange is higher than the surface that contacts the flywheel...is that what you have? If so that is the same basic clutch as a Model A, an early Long design.

9. Yes I have used one of those from Rock Auto :) - That's my inquiry/post from the Ford Barn lol, have over 5000 miles on it & not a single issue, any pressure plate matching that part number will do, I can't remember if it was offshore or rebuilt or new... Used in many Fords, mainly 1980's pickups with 10" clutch from what I recall..