Register now to get rid of these ads!

diaphragm clutch for Flathead with T5

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by bloodyjack, Feb 22, 2011.

1. bloodyjack

bloodyjack

My long throw pressure plate needed replacing so I went to NAPA to purchase a new one.
    I have a favorite local NAPA because the girl that works there seems to know her stuff.
    In the past she has found me a 12 Volt carter electric fuel pump from stock (it is boxed as a NAPA part)
    And she found me an adapter to install my old school Stewart Warner mechanical temperature gauge bulb in my flathead.
    Anyway I asked her for a new 10” pressure plate for a 51 ford truck with a flathead V8. First she says "nothing sounds like a flatty and a set of glass packs" and then she informed me that NAPA makes a modern diaphragm type pressure plate for the old flatty as an option.
    In the age of spotty idiots working for minimum wage who can barley work the parts computer I lucked out with a young girl who is a wealth of knowledge.

Anyway figured I would share NAPA part# CA30 - $59.99

[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 22, 2011
  2. Marry her............

3. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I have that one saved for future reference. I have plenty of three finger pressure plates right now but have no idea of what shape they are in.

4. Throw out bearing is different size on Ford Truck from a T-5....
    Pressure plate needs fingers to be for smaller size TO brg.

5. bloodyjack

bloodyjack

This is not a T5 pressure plate it is a 51 ford truck pressure plate look at the picture/read the text.

Also on that note:-
    speedway carries the 10" flathead clutch with T5 spline Item #:91015641

and while I am giving away all my T5 numbers

Here is a pilot roller bearing that fits the flat head flywheel and a T5

http://www.vxb.com/page/bearings/PROD/Kit8379

and here is a bronze bearing that will fit between the flatty throw out bearing and the T5 snout

Bunting bearing EP2228-32

6. I think you misunderstood my post...A ford truck Uses a 1 3/8 dia
    input shaft and the fingers on Pressure plate need to correspond ..T-5 uses a smaller T.O brg so fingers in Pressure plate..need to correspond...Are you refering to the disc when you say clutch?

7. WildWilly68

WildWilly68

I wonder if a GM style throwout bearing would work with that pressure plate since my adapter uses the GM style? I was going to have my flywheel drilled for a S10 pressure plate, but if it would work that would save me a step or two.

8. bloodyjack

bloodyjack

Yeah i guess my title is wrong and it wont let me edit it.
    its a diaphragm type pressure plate for a 51 ford flat head
    It fits the 10" flatty bolt pattern and has the correct fingers for the throw out bearing as you can see in the picture.

I just happen to be useing it with a T5 tranny hence the post with all the other numbers

9. bloodyjack

bloodyjack

No it wont

10. WildWilly68

WildWilly68

Well that sucks! :D

11. bloodyjack

bloodyjack

Yeah it sucks for you but for flathead owners that are tired of weight training there left leg its great! :)

12. WildWilly68

WildWilly68

Yeah that is exactly why I was going to have it redrilled for the S10 plate...my knees are shot!

13. bloodyjack

bloodyjack

I went with a 49 F1 hogshead from a 4 speed and a dwight Bond adapter to mount my T5 so I can use the regular throwout bearing :)

14. krylon32

krylon32
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Nebraska
    1. Central Nebraska H.A.M.B.

Biggest drawback in the past with using a standard diaphram PP with the early Ford throwout brg and early hub is the inside diameter of the fingers on the pp would machine off the inside of the hub when the clutch was depressed. I used to manufacture a diaphram pp with the fingers machined shorter to work with the early hub and brg but it got to expensive. It would be great if this NAPA part would solve the problem. Also I've done a few kits with the gm brg and the standard Mustang style diaphram pp.

Last edited: Feb 22, 2011
  15. bloodyjack

bloodyjack

Funny you should say that I was thinking the same thing looking at the parts. If the tips of the fingers do come in contact with the 4 speed throw out carrier I will just take it out altogether and use a bronze bearing to make the throwout bearing fit the T5.
    but here is a picture of the NAPA part notice how large the center hole is, the fingers are made for the large throw out bearing and ofcourse its the right bolt pattern too.

http://www.napaonline.com/Search/Detail.aspx?R=NCLCA30_0058197109#

[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 23, 2011
  16. bloodyjack

bloodyjack

I took the NAPA photo into autocad scaled it to the know 10inch diameter and measured the hole between the fingers and its over 2 inches

[​IMG]

17. seabeecmc

seabeecmc
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Bunting bearing EP2228-32[/QUOTE]

Please check this number. Regards, Ron

Bunting Bearings EP222832 1 3/8" Bore x 1 3/4" OD x 2" Length Powdered Metal SAE 841 Sleeve (Plain) Bearing

18. M.Edell

M.Edell

Good info..Dealing with a Pressure plate that doesnt line up that Flat o Products sent me with the T5 to flathead conversion kit..

19. bloodyjack

bloodyjack

Its the right part you press it into the throwout bearing carrier and cut the 2" length to fit

Please check this number. Regards, Ron

Bunting Bearings EP222832 1 3/8" Bore x 1 3/4" OD x 2" Length Powdered Metal SAE 841 Sleeve (Plain) Bearing[/QUOTE]

20. AlbuqF-1

AlbuqF-1
    from NM

I'm using the NAPA diaphragm PP in my otherwise stock flatty with 3-sp. It is very smooth, but effort is really not much different than the Long type. Also, check the clearance of the installed PP cover to the front BH ring -- one of the rivets just barely knicked on one of the bosses for a bolt to the hogshead -- scared the shit out of me!

21. Pinewood

Pinewood

Sorry, I've read through this thread a few times and want to just clarify- This pressure plate/ diaphragm cannot be used with a T5 transmission and through-out bearing because its diameter is too small to work? Correct?

22. bloodyjack

bloodyjack

i am using this pressure plate a Ford throwout bearing and a T5

By using a hogshead from an early F1 truck (the bit painted blue) to connect the T5

Also the T5 is from a S1 4x4 and you can see the adapter were the transfer case use to go that takes me back to torque tube drive.

[​IMG]

Here is another shot of engine and T5 out of the frame

[​IMG]

23. Pinewood

Pinewood

Thanks for the info. I like your adapter! Neat idea.

24. lufsdastuf

lufsdastuf
    from Detroit

I'm wanting to put a T5 on my 49-53 flathead and did a lot of searching here on the HAMB. This thread does a good job of summing up what all the other threads say on this topic. Using the cast iron bellhousing and the hogshead with an aluminum adapter plate. This seems to be the accepted method I have seen on here. So I was about to go ahead and get all the parts I need to get this done when I came across another adapter plate.

This adapter uses the 49-53 standard bellhousing, cast iron or stamped steel. As this is the more common bellhousing I'm surprised I haven’t seen anything here on the HAMB about this. It's sold as a kit and comes comes with pilot bearing and the sleeve which presses into your release bearing collar. You need to get an S-10 clutch disk and you are set.

So now I'm up in the air on which way to go. Using one bellhousing sounds better. Those hogshead bellhousings always go for about 100 and everyone knows they are used to adapt the T5 so they are expensive. There are plenty of these standard bellhousings available so they will be cheaper. The single bellhousing with this new adapter looks like the way to go. So does anyone know any problems with this or why it is not talked about on here.

Attached Files:

25. Jack - which NAPA?​

26. bloodyjack

bloodyjack

The one on Bothel Everret highway next to Fred Myer

27. moonman29

moonman29

Who sells this kit? I like that kit because I already have a few of those bell housings and it would be alot easier for me to go that route.

28. lufsdastuf

lufsdastuf
    from Detroit

Here is his contact information:
    Jr and Sara Means
    J&S Hot Rod Asylum
    [email protected]

29. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

30. Andy

Andy

I tried. I really did. I have searched NAPA online and the CA30 does nothing. I have searched different combo's of CA30. Nothing. I have searched by flathead applications. Nothing. Is there more to this part number so I can buy one? I really would like to have one.