Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Diamond back Tires VS Coker Tires

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by ChefMike, May 23, 2014.

1. ChefMike

ChefMike

I'm in the market for white wall tires for my project, I have heard a lot of negatives about Coker and haven't heard anything about Diamond Back,
    Went to both web sites and I'm leaning toward Diamond Back, I like how they explained the process. Any comments good or bad about these two company's would be appreciated

2. You're going to hear from lovers and haters of both. I have a set of diamond back wide whites on my '56 and love them. You will probably be happy with either.

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

3. oldcars.acadia

oldcars.acadia

I have used Diamond Back red lines on an early Corvette. They were round ,balanced well and have been 100% happy with them. See that you are in Mass. and Fritz's Tire in Arundal, Maine is a DB dealer and there is no shipping charge when you buy and pick up from him. He mounted and balanced mine and was good to deal with.http://www.fritzstire.com/
    Bob

4. Malcolm

Malcolm
    from Nebraska

I don't have any experience with the Coker WWW radials, but I've been very happy with the Diamondback WWW radials that I've run.

Malcolm

5. Cokers are as round as a brick
    Diamond Backs 4 me

Kellys Hot Rod Parts likes this.
  6. D-man313

D-man313

Diamondbacks

7. mikhett

mikhett
    from jackson nj

Diamond back www radials on my 56

8. ol-nobull

ol-nobull

Hi. I have been browsing both catalogs for some time while my coupe was down for repairs. I really like the info on the new Diamondback Auburn radials that are offered in the original 16" tire sizes & widths. They describe them to be the best thing ever made for the older cars. Problem is that last year they were advertising them to be in during the second quarter of the year. Never happened. This years catalog shows them arriving second quarter. I called them a couple of months ago & they said they would be arriving in May this year. This week I inquired if they were in yet & was told they are expecting them in October/November. I asked if there was anyone I could speak to to verify just when shipment would arrive & was told no, there was nobody to speak to that would know. Really on the ball over there?????? They do have other 16" radials but not in original sizes, only the wider "modern equivalent" sizes & tread designs. That sucks.

My 46 Coupe should be up and running with the new engine in a week or so & will need new tires then. It is obvious that I will not be wasting anymore time on pie in the sky from the folks at Diamondback. Why in the world would they be advertising them to be so great when they cannot even get any to sell?????

Looks like if I want radials in "original" tire sizes they will have to be Coker.

Good luck on Diamondbacks. Jimmie

9. roddin-shack

roddin-shack

Have purchased 2 sets of DIAMOND BACKS, the best way to roll !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

10. Bobert

Bobert
    Member Emeritus

Running radial Diamondbacks and happy with them.

11. Traditional cars run Bias Ply..Diamond back only offers vulcanized radial white walls.

This subject should be bloody by now it's been beat to death. HRP

12. Here are a few photos of the Diamond back tire that came off my pal Kens car last year,when we started on the Deuce Run it was fine but we noticed the Vulcanized white wall had split when we stop for gas.

Maybe it's a isolated thing but Ken replaced them with Coker Radials. HRP

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

13. I have been running Diamond Back WWW Radials on my coupe for 5 years with no problems. I am also waiting on the Auburn Deluxe range to come out for my A project. Liking the look of those blackwalls..hopefully they are released soon or its off to Coker. Any idea of price on the new Auburns or is that another few lightyears away?

hi_22.jpg

14. roddin-shack

roddin-shack

HRP- Those tires look a little old, that could be the reason for the crack. I would still never go back to Cokers, you have'nt lived until you have belt separation on 2 tires in one day with Cokers.

Kellys Hot Rod Parts likes this.
  15. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

Just a few years ago, most highboys at Billetproof (Antioch) ran Coker Firestone Gum-Dipped blackwalls. Sizes 4.75 X 16" fronts, 7.00 X 16" rears.
    Looking thru Coker's catalog, I couldn't find 'em. Are they still available?
    I'm also curious about the type tread: there were 2 different 'eras' mentioned on the HAMB recently, someone please clear this up?
    I have a set of N.O.S. '35 V8 straight spokes for them...

16. You think? they were just over a year old and Ken is the kind of guy that is anal about maintenance so they were never low on air.

Ken had almost 7000 miles on them.

Personally I prefer Bias Ply tires. HRP

Last edited: May 23, 2014
  17. GeezersP15

GeezersP15
    from N.E. PA

Have had no experience with Cokers, but have Diamondback wide whites on my Plymouth, and they have been great!

18. HRP
    One of the fronts on my roadster had a crack in the white wall. Called DB they said it was probably due to running them low on air but I put another 5000 miles on them with no problems. I will but them again!!!

19. Must be time for the weekly DB vs. Coker vs. radial vs. bias thread. o_O

Special Ed and burnzy37 like this.
  20. ChefMike

ChefMike

thank you for the information Im going with the Diamondback!

21. ol-nobull

ol-nobull

Hi Again. I have not seen a price on the Auburn Diamondbacks anywhere yet & I guess that is appropiate as they have no clue when they will be avalible. What is disapointing on all this is if you read everything Diamondback says on the Auburn radials they should be the best tire out there while maintaining the ORIGINAL bias ply tire dimensions & look & be in the original tire sizes & widths.
    This original look & sizing is important to me as I want my 46 Coupe to look completely stock with the interior & esterior of the car with the exception of the two chrome exhaust tips below rear bumper. The only apparant differences to stock will be a bit of exhaust sound & 2 chrome tips. But it will have a 1957 Chevy 235 straight six bored 0.060 over with 264 grind cam, headers, Clifford intake with 2 two barrell webbers with progressive linkage & lots of chrome under the hood. Typically a street rod in the style of the 50's period prior to the overhead valve V8 engines. Basically stock 1946 appearance until the hood is opened.

I amnot knocking any of the other Diamondback tires as they have a great following out there but their other radial tires just do not have the look & tire size I want.

If I wanted bias ply tires I would order from them in a heartbeat but where I live in Texas there is a constant 24 hour parade of oil field trucks & equipment due to the seemingly non ending boom in this area with all the Eagle Ford Shale drilling. All roads here are asphalt and the heavy trucks have beat the road down and bias ply tires are all but impossible to steer a straight line down the roads with bias tires. They just are not safe with the road conditions and all the traffic.

Just something I have to put up with as I live way out in the country & have to contend with all this traffic & road conditions anytime I go anywhere.

Jimmie

22. fleetside66

fleetside66

I've been running a set on my '66 truck for quite a few years & they've been fair. The whitewalls are all starting to crack, but it is a truck & it's been some time. The traction isn't the greatest in the world. My big complaint, however, was the dimpling of the sidewalls, right from the get-go. I remember causing a huge fuss over it, because I was a tad upset. After going through hell & back, they threw me a bone by giving me a check for $100. ~ I too have been waiting for the Auburns, probably longer than I waited for the $100.

23. America is still a free country and that's what makes it great,you can buy from anyone you like.

I make no bones about it that I like their product and have had absolutely no problems with Coker tires,I have their Bias Ply on the Deuce truck and their radials on ladyhrp's wagon.

Coker was one of the first vender to join the Alliance and offer great discounts. HRP

[​IMG]

24. tattoos by brandon

tattoos by brandon
    from salem ohio

I don't think I'm going to get another set of Coker and will try diamond back ... it just seems like the Coker tires wear like crap very fast

25. marvbarrish

marvbarrish
    from SoCal

I had an issue with a new set of Coker tires that I had bought from them. They didn't stand behind their product and I've written them off and will never buy any of their products again.

da34guy likes this.
  26. LFS11

LFS11

So far so good with Coker. Not really apples to apples as they aren't even close in terms of their manufacturing and distribution volume. I've heard Coker makes more in a day/week than db does in a year, who knows.
    More tires out there more ops to have issues.

27. Curious marvbarrish, you say you had an issue on a new set of Coker Tires? Must be serious? What was the issue? Did you buy direct from Coker or a dealer?

28. Yep, that was my problem, bought 4 bricks for over $800 and they did nothing after numerous attempts to solve the problem. Threw them in the dumpster

29. One problem with the whole traditional tire thing is they roll on un-traditional roads now. Ha ha