Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Deuce Sport Coupe and 5W Coupe similarities...

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by ratamahata, Apr 16, 2020.

1. Hey Guys... I have a crazy idea about convert a Deuce Sport Coupe Body into a 5W... I was using the search tool on Google and add site:www.jalopyjournal.com and I was lucky to find out that is supposedly doors and quarter panels are the same between as.
    I know that the Sport coupes are less in production figures.
    So, If some of you have any info... Will be welcome. Thanks in advance...

Sent from my Mi A1 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

2. alchemy

alchemy

No info, other than I'd never do it. I'd much rather have the rare sport coupe than a common coupe.

3. dirt car

dirt car
    from nebraska

I'm probably biased being a sport coupe owner but I totally agree with alchemy, seems a very similar thread appeared some time back & yes that 5w roof skin is available in both open & filled for probably less than a grand delivered state side, not certain to your area. I don't recall the production numbers of the sport coupe 2000 or less I believe & several hundred of those were exported as I recall. Ron

continentaljohn likes this.
  4. kidcampbell71 and town sedan like this.

5. continentaljohn

continentaljohn

I with @alchemy @dirt car and leave it alone . I do have a buddy that has one and its cool and he did a few changes to it and made it more of a hotrod. He gave it a rubber rake and dropped the front end a bit with a 1933-35 axle . He also took off the landau sport coupe irons and really changed the look

6. Rckt98

Rckt98

That is a very interesting list. Just an aside, I always thought the roadster pickup was one of the least body styles produced but isn't on this list?

7. dirt car

dirt car
    from nebraska

Ck. the commercial listing for roadster p.u & yes I believe it was the least production

8. [​IMG]
    How could you want to change something like this?

9. I think the figure for roadster pickup production 593.
    Al.

10. USA production numbers... tapatalk_1587079817420.jpeg

continentaljohn likes this.
  11. Love it!!
    Just in case with the thread, I'll learn something about body styles too.... 3741743305_0e923aa939_b.jpeg

12. town sedan and Stogy like this.
  13. dirt car

dirt car
    from nebraska

An additional note with regards to the sport coupe, while the doors are the same as a 5w coupe the swing out windshield is 1 " shorter ( sort of a factory chop) & also the top (L) & (R) corners are not radiused as a 5w but squared off much as a 32 -33-34 truck. The Cabriolet also shares the squared corners but the windshield is fixed & not certain if it too might be of the 1" shorter version; but then again the Cabriolet is a totally different body with very little exterior that will exchange, perhaps the deck lid, & some small bits & pieces as I recall...... Looking so much alike yet certainly different . Thanks, Ron

ratamahata likes this.
  14. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I can't control destiny but I too like the unique look of Sport Coupes and Cabriolet's and always scratch my head to see them Coupisized (Made into a 5 window)...

I think about @alfin32's recent 34 Cabriolet build doing just that...complimenting its unique style...Beautiful to say the least as a Cabriolet Hotrod...

At the end of the day I'm not against Hotrodding it per say but exploiting the Model would be my preference...Any Concours lover that gets the Hotrod leftovers 50 years down the road can reverse the hell brought upon it if they please...

Now @ratamahata, the Coupe you just posted (#13) highlights my opinion in that its neither a 3window nore a 5window AND it's still celebrating its unique Sport Coupe Ambience in a Hotrod Manner...Big thumbs up from me that's a revered Very Unique Hotrod...that said is that in fact a Sport coupe?

My Coupe is a modded Sport Coupe with a chopped Aluminun Hardtop laid and riveted in the profile of its fabric OEM counterpart.

Last edited: Apr 16, 2020
    continentaljohn and ratamahata like this.
  15. dirt car

dirt car
    from nebraska

Well said Stogy, as you say we're but care-takers & can only wish/hope those beyond us follow our lead but then it is theirs to do as they choose.

ratamahata and Stogy like this.
  16. jaracer

jaracer

Been working on this for the last 10 years. It will be on the road with the soft top, if I live long enough. scan0274.jpg

17. I believe the coupe ratamahata posted is a Gene Winfield modified 5-window with the quarter windows filled.

Mick

ratamahata, Fordors and Stogy like this.
  18. Guys ...I was talking to a friend who is going to buy these cars, he would like to lower the Sport Coupe a little and even leave the original flathead since it is a model 18. And also bidding on that 4dr.
    So, no modifications will happen!

1148444733.jpeg 184971637.jpeg 229478730.jpeg 1007129053.jpeg

19. dirt car

dirt car
    from nebraska

Had the pleasure of seeing the refurbishing touches being applied to that fully chromed puple/maroon ratamahata posted sport coupe back in 2013 while visiting the Marietta Ga. Josh Mills rod/restoration shop; an awesome vehicle & facility. Josh as I recall worked several years across the road for Joe Smith Early Fords before setting out on his own, seems I recall of a clone & even another in the Lawrence Ks./Kansas City area don't recall which is the real bonified original as it appeared in various publications, maybe someone can clear the air on that one or all...Ron

Stogy and ratamahata like this.
  20. clem

clem

I thought that the sport coupe had no swage down each side of the rumble seat lid.

ratamahata likes this.
  21. Fordors

Fordors

No, it is the Cabriolet that does not have that detail. The Sport Coupe does have a different windshield header and w/s frame but other than having no roof sheet metal and using steel and wood bows to support the fixed soft top it is the same as a 5 window body.

clem likes this.
  22. Fortunateson

Fortunateson

23. thirtytwo

thirtytwo

I’d make it a 5w coupe without guilt

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  24. clem

clem

Thanks, I’m always getting those two around the wrong way.