Register now to get rid of these ads!

Art & Inspiration Deuce Roadster in bronze

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by HOTRODPRIMER, Apr 12, 2016.

1. Renown artist Stanley Wanlass original bronze sculpture "Flat Out" is on display in front of the main building at Union Park Town Square. 1st South & Main Street, St. George, Utah. HRP

13010666_974414792650113_3723686446097969299_n.jpg
    12993456_974414825983443_6780331778601143336_n.jpg

Read more about Stanley Wanlass amazing work.

http://www.stanleywanlass.com/

2. Nice work and write-up,thanks.

lothiandon1940 and HOTRODPRIMER like this.
  3. Thanx HRP! :cool: I like the way your first pic makes this sculpture look much bigger than it actually is in the second shot. Anybody that can make a convincing dust cloud out of bronze is OK in my book. And of course the patina looks right at home here. ;)

i.rant, Johnboy34 and lothiandon1940 like this.
  4. exterminator

exterminator

That is awesome!

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.

5. What an incredible talent Mr. Wanlass is. I wonder how many passers-by actually get what it is they are looking at.:)

6. wicarnut

wicarnut

Very KOOL ! I Can not afford that, my idea of yard art, conversation piece, for sure. Always admire the artist's skill/talent that make these.

TerrytheK likes this.
  7. I thought the same thing Don,I don't know of it is on loan to the city or it is a permanent piece.

We get it but how many city fathers would decide to purchase hot rod art,in this case a bronze displayed prominently in a city park,I know it wouldn't happen here in my town. HRP

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  8. Although it's not a huge sculpture it is almost 5 foot long. HRP

dana barlow and lothiandon1940 like this.
  9. 35WINDOW

35WINDOW

There are many bronze Sculptors/Sculptures throughout Utah-

Attached Files:

mgtstumpy, rexrogers, LongT and 2 others like this.
  10. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

Wow, beautiful - sure hope there is security for it or, scrap salvage thieves might truck it out.

mgtstumpy likes this.
  11. Yeah, guess with Utah's long history with land speed racing these type of sculptures are appropriate. HRP

12. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

Sadly, very few.

13. I have made a few brass sculptures, you make it out of wax first, cast a negative mold then pour the molten metal into your mold. No biggie. That being said, that's one expensive statue if it's solid. ;)

14. Stan is probably the most talented artist I have ever known, and one of the nicest guys you will ever meet.
    Here's a photo of his 32 roadster at the SLC Autorama a few years ago. DSCF0050.JPG
    Hell, anybody that has an original Bugatti in his living room has got to be cool, right?

Mick

15. clem

clem

At least we here appreciate it....
    Thanks for posting HRP. - Cool piece of art !

HOTRODPRIMER and lothiandon1940 like this.
  16. HRP, Had the privilege of going to STANS house a couple of years ago, toured his private studio. These things are everywhere, even in his yard, just laying around. H. 2013 road trip way home 057.jpg 2013 road trip way home 049.jpg 2013 road trip way home 049.jpg

17. Holy Cow Henry! :eek: I see where he gets some of his inspiration.

The man is indeed a hard core deuce guy. HRP

Blue One and lothiandon1940 like this.
  18. the flatlander

the flatlander

Hey guys, I'm bragging. I have two of Stanley's bronzes that I display in my house. Plus, he said I could have a S'deuced bronze (like on display) if I could carry it a couple hundred feet and put it in my roadster's trunk..... thx Stan :(

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  19. I'll help you load it up Alan. :) HRP

20. I saw the real rod that the scripture was modeled from in the Richard Munz Collection recently.

Phil

HOTRODPRIMER and lothiandon1940 like this.
  21. ..........................I think you meant sculpture but, we'll let you slide since we are here to "Preach the gospel of traditional hot rods and customs to greasers worldwide" after all.:D;)

lothianwilly71 and HOTRODPRIMER like this.
  22. You are correct, because it is Sunday, I guess I was thinking of something else.

Phil

23. The37Kid

The37Kid

Very nice, it would look faster with a full hood IMO. Bob

24. I think the hood sides were deleted to show off the Ardun flathead, if I recall right.

Phil

25. the flatlander

the flatlander

More info for you Wanlass fans (me too): I built the chassis that Stan kinda used as a model for the S'deuced bronze.(it's under one of his (other) roadsters. How about that ? I was really proud about hearing that. He is just a regular guy as any of you that have been to his house or met him know. ....well, except he IS the man !!

Attached Files:

26. the flatlander

the flatlander

Hey HRP, could you meet me there & help load that bronze ?....tomorrow... p/s better bring several pals & a couple cases of brew.... thx Alan

27. I saw the one at Kindig and the details will blow your mind. There are even threads showing through the nuts on the flathead. Stan is an amazing artist. Maybe one day I will get one of his windshields...maybe for the new roadster.

lothiandon1940 and Just Gary like this.
  28. caprockfabshop

caprockfabshop
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I had the pleasure of running across Stanley's booth at Barrett Jackson back in roughly 2005 or so. I was just a kid, but the detail on the pieces was so impressive that my dad and I spent quite a bit of time looking everything over. When I stopped back at the booth again the next day, Stanley pulled me aside and gifted me with my very own custom bronze carburetor! I was blown away by the generosity shown to a random 12yr old, but I cherished that piece ever since.

Great to see the work has only improved as the years have gone on!

~Peter

Last edited: Nov 28, 2022
  29. Fordors

Fordors

Stanley Wanlass learned his lessons well, a highly accomplished man with two great careers as a professor and artist , yet a heart of gold. Thanks for sharing that.