Register now to get rid of these ads!

"Deuce Of Spades" - The Next American Graffiti?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by HiboyGirl, Jun 30, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SuperFleye

SuperFleye
    Alliance Vendor

Looks good, do you have any more pix?
    .... just curious :)

2. Here's a couple aerial views of Saugus dragstrip.
    Fairly sure they're the same photo, just rotated a bit.

Saugus Dragstrip was also used as an airport back in the day and was called "Airport 6."
    Saturday nights, the only flying done was by the cars.

When it opened, the start line was to the right, after a few cars crossed the road and flew into the usually dry Santa Clara Riverbed, the start line was to the left.
    The problem with starting on the left was, every once in a while one of the really fast cars went up the hill into the brush.

Saturday nights, we'd leave our small coastal town of Ventura, get out of the city about a mile, stop, open cutouts and cruise the rest of the way to the strip with open exhaust.
    Desperado's we were . . . and never gave a thought as to how lucky we were to drive through three towns on the way to the strip and not get an open exhaust ticket.

Fun days for sure, running at night was a lot dfferent than running San Fernando - just over the hill - on a Sunday.
    Even in the winter San Fernando could be hot and summers were a bitch.
    We did it anyway cuz that's what we wanted to do and that's the way it was....

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The last photo for Highboy Girl.
    Christmas Formal circa 1956 at Ventura High School.

Attached Files:

3. HiboyGirl

HiboyGirl

ABSOLUTELY the more the merrier :D please have them contact me at [email protected] .

4. HiboyGirl

HiboyGirl

I can paint the dial to make it look black. Will you need the phone back? we can use a water soluble paint, will wash off...

About Saugus, if using a public place it would have to be in remote area with no likeliness of having someone come by while we film. Basically in the middle of nowhere! It is likely that I will be filming the one scene in 3 different locations:

1- the staging area in one location (preferably airstrip)

2- the night race scene in another location (need airstrip for that one or straight road in the middle of flat, dry area)

3- the last scene in a third location - for that one I need a bit of a straight road and an old oak tree.

Any input appreciated, if you can think of any locations that might work...

5. HiboyGirl

HiboyGirl

:D :D :D where is it located? Can you email me photos at [email protected] ?

6. HiboyGirl

HiboyGirl

Actually the copies are not the problem, I can burn them, it is more copyright issues with some of the content. I had to go back and blurr a bunch of faces (done) remove copyrghted songs and replace with songs I own copyrights for (done) but I also have a whole section on vintage women and their race cars that I do not have copyrights releases for any of the photos... I would have to remove it from the short film to be safe... :rolleyes: Initially I did the short film for the 75th anniversary of the deuce and played it at the GNRS next to my car, so it was for display and to honor women and the deuce roadsters, and not meant for resale really...

Maybe I will be a good girl and finish it and make it available. It is a fun film, creative, with great sense of humour and some good home made footage. It was all shot on a $300 camera and run and gun, but it really came out good. People seemed to enjoy it immensely at the GNRS show.

7. HiboyGirl

HiboyGirl

Hey Jay, nice to see you here. I have been enjoyiing your book immensely. I have found and collected many photos of Saugus. I also went on a pilgrimage at the exact location it once stood and found the old oak tree... It is AMAZING... I also bumped into an old timer two weeks ago who gave me even more info on Saugus, the tree, its location etc....

he also told me of a gal from Burbank that used to go to "TIPS" (apparently a huge hotrodder's hangout in the valley) and would street race the boys. he said (I quote) : "she dusted every single one of them"... When he saw me pull into the car meet with my roadster he walked up to me and said: "You remind me of a gal back in the days who used to drive a roadster just like yours and she was faster than any of the boys" :) that's how we got to talk and then I found out about Saugus tree location etc... I did film him for the documentary

YES THE FILM DVD WILL ALSO HAVE A SPECIAL FEATURE "The making of Deuce of Spades" which shows how I made the film and gives a lot of background info on the elements that are part of the film. It also includes interviews with old timers talking about the 50's era, etc... FUN STUFF !!

8. Mistersponge

Mistersponge

Sounds really cool, I'll be following this thread. Cant wait to see the finished product. Have you considered making any teasers?

9. nailheadroadster

nailheadroadster

You are too cool and I really respect your ambition. I know support from Florida doesn't do a whole lota good for your project but just know that we are out there cheerin ya on! Good luck!!

10. Faith, I don't know what it's like nowadays, but on Route 126, 2-3 miles west of I-5 and just west of Travel Village - RV place - is a place where a lot of motorcycle racing and filming took place.
    Baa Baa Black Sheep, Chips, Hal Holbrook Vietnm war movie etc.

The race track end of it was closed down many years ago, but the dirt - maybe oiled - airstrip could still be in operation.

You'd probably have to start inquiring at Newhall Land & Farms I think it is, they're the big land holder, developer, builder in the area.
    Since they used to rent the motorcycle park (Indian Dunes) and the airstrip out for filming they'd probably be wanting a chunk of change.
    They used to be the 400# gorilla in the area and probably still are.

Another place to check would be Agua Dulce airpark not too far from the Saugus-Newhall area.

Other places, Central California which is a bed of hot rod activity in it's own right, Woodlake Airport which is like Saugus Dragstrip/ US 6 airport (correct name I believe, I screwed up the airport name of the Saugus Dragstrip in the post above)

Strathmore airport is an old one - and short - but could double as Saugus dragstrip if you got the camera's up a bit so the adjacent orange orchards don't show too well.

The small town of Dinuba north of Visalia, California and south of Fresno has a shut down airport that still may be intact and could be used although last time I landed there the weeds were getting tall and the prop was mowing a bit of a path through them.

One place that could really work for you would be Raisin City Dragstrip west of Fresno.
    It still shows on sectionals - airplane maps - of the area.
    In fact, they have a reunion type car show there and I'm pretty sure it's held on the dragstrip.
    One of the Fresno HAMB'rs could fill you in on that.

Locally we have a large dry lake - about 4 x 6 miles with about 2 x 4 miles usable, but rough in a few areas although most of it where we go is quite smooth.
    Been threatening to trailer my 32 down there and shoot some stills and video's.
    You may require BLM permission to film, but if there's a permit cost I'm guessing it's not much.

Here's a few pics of the dry lake:

Just to give you an idea.

The 2nd pic was taken from atop the 10'-12' high manure pile that surrounds the about 50 yards x 200 yards enclosed shooting area we use.
    The manure pile also shows directly behind me in the one pic.

Contrary to what you'd think, the manure pile doesn't smell and it's solid enough to support vehicles.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

11. HiboyGirl

HiboyGirl

YES :D I have already been thinking about the trailer for the film... how it would look, what highlights from what scenes would be included...

but it is too early for a trailer or teasers yet... Currently I am using production stills as teasers. You can see them here (if you haven't already)

http://www.deuceofspadesmovie.com

I WILL BE POSTING A BUNCH OF NEW SHOTS HERE SOON!! Better hang on to your seats, cause some of them are going to rock (I hope you will agree with me on that :D ). So subscribe to this thread and check back often for updates and photos...

12. I meant to mention the Tip's Restaurants.
    There were three of them.

One at Castaic Junction - where Highway 99 (now I-5) meets with Highway 126.

A 2nd at the intersecton of what is now Henry Mayo Drive and The Old Road although the new freeway pretty much eats up the property the restaurant was on - it's also the intersection to Magic Mountain Park.
    Back in the day, the intersection was Hwy 99 and J79 or the Saugus-Ventura Road.
    You went toward the desert on J79 if you were travelling across the Dez.

The third Tip's was on Hwy 14 toward the SF Valley from Solemint Junction.

Interestingly all the Tip's Restaurants had a Standard Station nearby.
    No surprise when you looked at the people on the Newhall Land & Farms board of directors.
    A bit of incest as there always is.
    Tip's Restaurants, Standard Oil and the Edison Company all had a presence on the board.
    There were no other major brand gas stations at any of the desired locations.
    Standard was it.

I would guess that the girl with the hot roadster operated out of the Tip's on Hwy 14.

More than likely she spent time at the Drive-In restaurant near Hart Park in old downtown Newhall.
    Spent a little time there myself, early 60's to the mid 60's.
    A bit of street racing got started out of there.

Best hamburgers in the area were served out of an octagonal, dark green building with folding sides.
    Located at the Bouquet Canyon junction with - I think - Soledad Canyon Road just up from the RR station and down from Bonelli Stadium where the circle burners ran.

Run by a Dutch lady who'd married a Mexican gentleman.
    He took orders, sipped from a glass of whiskey he kept under the counter, she cooked, he served.

One gallon jars of boiled eggs, pigs knuckles, chili's and serious chili's lined the counter.
    I tried em all, regretted a couple, but the burgers and a cold beer made it all ok.

The place had atmosphere....:D

13. Abomination

Abomination

That's a Western Electric 500 Series. They made those just about the same way from '55 to the 80's.

Personally, I'd use a Western Electric 302.

[​IMG]

~Jason

14. HiboyGirl

HiboyGirl

yes I agree, the 40's style are what I noticed in most 50's movies... Still, a 50's style (more round) would not be wrong and I could certainly use an extra phone for a different scene. I have been bidding on 40's style phones (like the one on yoru picture) but being in and out of town has not helped me nail one yet cause I am never there when the auction ends :mad: ... But I'll get one soon, I'm sure.

I did get a wall phone (1950's) and also 2 neat 40's radios that look very nice. Gotta have them props, ya know, to make it look convincing :D .

15. HiboyGirl

HiboyGirl

JAY: Raisin City, yes I am familiar with it, it is even mentioned in my script :) and I do have a friend in Fresno so I'll call him and ask about it. Doubt we could film there for free or CHEAP. But it doesn't hurt to ask...

Tell me about the Agua Dulce airpark... ??

I have found a private airstrip in Agua Dulce, and owner wants to meet to talk. I am trying to sell him on the idea of a trade - location in exchange of my fine filming services (I'm sure he has a kid that will get married soon or needs a promo video for whatever reason etc...)... who knows? His airtrip looks pretty close to Saugus but is lacking the oak tree (well of course).

<<Another place to check would be Agua Dulce airpark not too far from the Saugus-Newhall area.

Other places, Central California which is a bed of hot rod activity in it's own right, Woodlake Airport which is like Saugus Dragstrip/ US 6 airport (correct name I believe, I screwed up the airport name of the Saugus Dragstrip in the post above)

Strathmore airport is an old one - and short - but could double as Saugus dragstrip if you got the camera's up a bit so the adjacent orange orchards don't show too well.

The small town of Dinuba north of Visalia, California and south of Fresno has a shut down airport that still may be intact and could be used although last time I landed there the weeds were getting tall and the prop was mowing a bit of a path through them.

One place that could really work for you would be Raisin City Dragstrip west of Fresno.
    It still shows on sectionals - airplane maps - of the area.
    In fact, they have a reunion type car show there and I'm pretty sure it's held on the dragstrip.
    One of the Fresno HAMB'rs could fill you in on that.
    >>

16. Well mine has more cubes :p. My folks had one they leased from the phone company for over 30 years. They probably spent a small fortune on it.

Thanks,
    Kurt

17. I know of a single lane road that might be a quarter mile long. It's not heavily traveled, and it has a nice oak tree (I believe) beside it in the middle. The surrounding area is brush on one side, plowed dirt on the other, and hills just beyond that. I'll try to post a picture or three in the next few days. Here's a Google Earth picture.

Thanks,
    Kurt

Attached Files:

18. There's gotta be a Shiiteload of places out in the high desert area.

Thanks,
    Kurt

19. If there's a yellow ribbon around that old oak tree, make sure to remove it. Don't want any 70s stuff in your movie.

20. HiboyGirl...You rock! Taking the time to sincerly answer every post.
    I wish there was more I could do to assist you, from out here on the East coast.
    Keep us posted on what you need. I know I will follow your threads closely

21. Slide

Slide

This looks like a real cool project. I haven't read every post on this thread, so please forgive if this was already brought up.

If you are making a best-effort attempt to make the film as historically realistic as possible (and it sure sounds like you are), then you might oughta read this page for some thoughts on font choices:

http://www.ms-studio.com/typecasting.html

Of course a lot of your audience* won't know the difference on fonts, so I'm not saying you should stick solely to fonts that actually existed back then (as the author of the link above would seem to do), but it would do you well to consider some that are more realistic to the era than a caricature of it... at least for your titles, etc.

I hope you don't take my post as being overly critical, as I couldn't imagine taking on a project like this myself... but this is just one small way you can take it to the next level (if you wish).

*There are a LOT of people in the traditional hot rod crowd that work in visual creative/design fields, and many of them will pick up on inconsistencies.

22. Bumpstick

Bumpstick

That is a great article!!! As a commercial artist I see typefaces used in "period" movies that are completely inapproriate. I drives me crazy!! That inattention to detail kills an otherwise good movie for me. "The Two Jakes" is another example of inattention that ruined the movie. A pickup truck is seen in the background of a scene in downtown L.A. and later in the film the same truck rolls up in the deserted "Valley" some 20 miles away! Nitpicking? Yes, but it tells me the director doesn't really care what he/she is filming. I think Jack Nicholson directed it. Shame.:D So when I see "swing dancing" in the description it sounds like someone hasn't done their homework. Sorry. -stick

23. hotrodsnguns

hotrodsnguns
    from Fresno, CA

If your in Fresno shooting there is a great 50's style drive in complete with car hops in Clovis. Which is right next to Fresno boundaries now connect. It is called "Fat Jacks" Owner has a couple of cool hot rods and a show occasionally

24. Some great tips & replys on here, I used to work for a property master in H-Wood a looong time ago so here are a couple more things I thought of....If your characters are working/lower middle class based use a lot of 30's-40's looking furniture and props in their houses/shop, remember how frugal & money wise folks were back then! Not everyone had an Atomic Ranch house full of mid-centruy modern stuff (that was the Sunset magazine "ideal"). Also ALL the cars in the 1955 scenes should have 1951 license plates, and even better 51 plates with 55 tags on them (that would be 100&#37; on), no mix of pre 55 plates etc... We used to have STACKS of cool cardstock license plates of all years, even with different year tags on em'.

25. HiboyGirl

HiboyGirl

Perhaps you are overlooking the fact that the film takes place in 2007 with flashback scenes to 1953 through 1960. And yes, people do still swing dance today.

26. HiboyGirl

HiboyGirl

Yes it would be nice to have everything perfect, but I think some of you have very unrealistic expectations about what one girl can do on a NO BUDGET. You are just going to have to live with the little non period correct details and try to focus on what's important instead: The story. I am not a big Hollywood studio and I don't have a crew of 120 people. It's just ME. There is no way I can get plates for all these cars... So sorry.. Now of course, if you perfectionsists guys are volunteering to help me do this and will provide me with the plates, then by all means let's do it! :D

27. G V Gordon

G V Gordon
    from Enid OK

Quite an undertaking, but sounds like your pulling it off. Your right about passion for a project going a long way to seeing it through, especially if you can make that passion contagious to a lot of other like minded folks!

GOOD LUCK!
    GV

28. HiboyGirl

HiboyGirl

Slide thanks for the link, I will read it when I have a break. I don;t think I have anything printed in my flashback scenes... So may not be an issue, but woudl be good to know.

29. HiboyGirl

HiboyGirl

I'M LISTENING :D :D I'm going to shoot you a PM about this road...

30. HiboyGirl

HiboyGirl

Also, and as far as my research indicated, prior to the birth of rock'roll in the mid fifties, people were still dancing to Big Bands, Boogie, some shag, etc... More than likely still Lindy Hopping as we, on the swing dance scene in Los Angeles today, do. Lindy hop was also watered down into East coast swing for a simplified version (step step rock step instead of the triple step, tripple step, rock step), which was popular in the fifties.

Please see:

http://www.history-of-rock.com/dancing_in_the_fifties.htm

Also an excerpt from an article about dancing in the fifties:

The dance crazes of rock's first era

As befits a music that was birthed mostly from black musical sources, rock and roll became synonymous with dance crazes - blink-and-you-missed-it fads that involved some wild new dance steps, usually accompanied by a hit single either before or after the fact. In the Fifties, rock dances were generally appropriated from other sources; the lindy hop and the jitterbug served as a basis for many of the fast dances, and aside from the occasional glorious one-off (The Diamonds' deathless, monumentally sleazy "The Stroll"), most rock dancing in the Ike Years remained confined to a few moves"

But then again if I am wrong, please do give us an in depth dance history for the fifties, focussing on 1953 especially. I have been know to make mistakes on occasions :) and better fix it now than later... Your input is welcome.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.