Register now to get rid of these ads!

"Deuce Of Spades" - The Next American Graffiti?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by HiboyGirl, Jun 30, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ChevyGirlRox

ChevyGirlRox
    from Ohio

I saw you at Paso as well. Quite a few people told me I should give you some words of encouragement on how girls can be hot rodders too :)
    I saw you once from a distance while you were filming but never made it up to say hi. If there is anything a hot rod girl in Ohio can do for you with a '32 roadster built in Cali in the 50s just holler!

2. Well to bad you are not up north as we have a 1922 house, lots of period furniture and some friends with a bitchen 40's-50's kitchen. May I suggest you check out the central valley for locations that really still have that classic California look & feel. Lots of the smaller towns in the valley still have their architecture intact, Coalinga has an amazing restored gas station, Avenal is a cool but run down old town, Gustine has a great old downtown. I did location scouting for a friend years ago when he was a film student at both USC & UCLA. Where & when do you plan to shoot the Saugus shots? Are you locked into the immediate LA basin for locations? Damn you even play the Sitar, this should be some film.....

3. JimA

JimA
    BANNED

I noticed it (actually from the 1985 time period) but did not want to be picky.

4. Tom Branch

Tom Branch

You were not the only girl with a 32 there!
    My wife's 32 ford was on display in the SUEDE PALACE this year.
    She drives her car all over the western U.S. including Bonneville the last 4 years in a row and RACING at the Antique Nats. She also did a majority of the work on her deuce, including building the motor.
    Get you story straight before ASSUMING that you were the only girl with a 32 there.

5. Kev Nemo

Kev Nemo

Making the movie regardless of the distribution deal is the way to go. There's plenty of fesitvals out there that will pick it up. so look into that for sure.
    I'm glad you're paying attention to the details, but don't let the details make your movie. Regardless of how accurate you get the feel of the era, you'll always have a someone that says something isn't right. No matter how many times I see the Torq Thrusts on that truck outside of the studio in "Walk the Line", it doesn't ruin that movie's story, because your story shouldn't be about a car part or the color of a telephone. As badass as the cars are in 'AG', that movie works because it's a great story and it's told well. Sounds like you're doing right:D. Wish I could help you out; I've been dying to do some car stunt work!

6. jangleguy

jangleguy

Well, my friend with the studio agrees that my music and your movie might be a good match, but the soonest we can get together to record would be in the fall (Octoberish). Your move...

7. hotrodbrad

hotrodbrad

Will There Be N00d Scenes?!?!

8. HiboyGirl

HiboyGirl

Wow, did you cme all teh way from Ohio for the Paso show? I'm impressed, did you drive you rod and what is it? You should have approched me and said hi. I'm real easy to talk to... :)

9. RatBone

RatBone

AND real easy on the eyes!! You were the only girl with a 32 I noticed in the suede palace!

good luck on the movie!

10. HiboyGirl

HiboyGirl

A location close to La would be best for the Saugus dragstrip scene, because i have to gather a large amount of hotrods that look 1955 period correct 9or real darn close) and that is no easy task. the further away the location, the less likely they are to show up.

yes there are many towns with old streets, structures etc, the problem is filming there. if it's just "in passing' like driving through town and filming, you can get away with it but if you set up on the side of the road you can get into trouble if you do not have permits. permits are very expensive and no budget productions cannot afford them. Hence private property is a must. If you are on private land you do not need a permit, you just need the permission from the owner of the property.

Since my last post I have secured an AWESOME speedshop authentic from the 30's that looks very 50's and ALL the machinery inside are 1940's authentic and were used to work on flatheads, speed equipment and drive trains. It is amazing... I am waiting to confirm that owner will welcome me there but I am VERY excited about this location as Johnny Callaway's speedshop. It is really something.

To answer yoru question though, if anyone knows of GREAT locations for this movie, and know for sure that the owner would give us a depiction release, then i would be willing to travel some, up to 4 hours drive. Let me know...

11. HiboyGirl

HiboyGirl

Well actually my windshield is one of the first Dan Fink posts Dan ever made. I was told by owner who purchased them that it was in the late seventies but he is old and could have been wrong. I will drop an email to Dan Fink and ask him, he is a good friend of mine (and one heck of a cool guy if you ask me). I'm curious to find out.

12. HiboyGirl

HiboyGirl

I actually meant 32 roadster. i do remember Axle saying something about the fact there were two girl hortodder in the palace that year but I never saw her or her car... Which car was yours?

PS: There was no need for you to bite my head off about this by the way - I have made a wonderful documentary about women and their 32 roadsters and spent a lot of time trying to track them down. And even did find a few, but not many. I went on location and interviewed Paula Burns who just broke a new record in her class last month at El Mirage. What a gal!! My short film was dedicated to all of the cool hiboy girls - from Veda Orr to Paula Burns - so if you have pegged me as an egotistic dellusional person you are quite wrong. And perhaps you also need to get your story straight before you ASSUME ;)

13. HiboyGirl

HiboyGirl

hey JC, well said thanks for the support. :)

14. HiboyGirl

HiboyGirl

Oh GO FOR IT, I will be working on this project for the next 12 to 24 months anyways so you have time :D

15. Petejoe

Petejoe
    from Zoar, Ohio

HIBOYGIRL,
    I like you already. You can handle the heat with class.
    You remind me of my wife in that respect.
    Good luck on your film. I too wish I could help.
    About time someone with the right understanding and outlook creates a good hot rod movie. A Real One.

16. Bumpstick

Bumpstick

So are you one of the stars of this epic?
    "Fast hotrods, cool cats, gravity defying swing dancing and rockin’ retro music all serve as a colorful backdrop to this heartfelt, inspiring story. Discover an underground scene where counter culture is in, old school is cool and nostalgia forever reigns."
    In 1955 swing was dead, nostalgia was for the 1920's, the "counter culture" were the Beats of the east village NYC and north beach SF and "old school" was just that: AN OLD SCHOOL.
    Good luck on your project. Please don't do "Nifty Fifties" -stick

17. ChevyGirlRox

ChevyGirlRox
    from Ohio

Yes, I along with Hotrodladycrusr and Oldbobsign came all the way from Ohio, Detroit and Chicago to Paso for the show. We flew out so we could get there and get back quick since the majority of our vacations will be spent at Speedweek this year. It's not that I'm shy by any stretch of the imagination. It was quite the opposite out there, too many people to talk to in too little of time. HRLC and I wondered what it would be like to go to a show car less so far from home but it ended up being just like old-home week for us there. I definitely plan to come back out soon, maybe I'll run into you again. It would be fun to ride around with another roadster girl!:D

18. s.r.i.

s.r.i.
    from Hell

Ahhh, I taught you well, young Jedi.:D

19. Tom Branch

Tom Branch

Which car was mine? Mine was the channeled bare metal 32 roadster. It's not my car I was referring to though. My wifes car is the light metallic blue chopped and channeled 32 ford tudor. Your's was the flatblack 'glass roadster with the mound of sand in front of it right? Her car was parked less than 50 feet away. I don't post pic's but if you look on the cover of the August issue of Rod & Custom you can see what it looks like.

You said you were the only girl with a 32 there, but didn't specify roadster even though thats what you meant. Since you are a documentary film maker, I'm sure you understand the importance of being accurate and not misleading people with your statements. Especially on a forum that is viewed by thousands of people. Excuse me if you feel like I bit your head off, I just don't want people to be mislead by general statements like "I was the only girl with a 32 there" which is simply not true.

Also, I never said you were "an egotistic dillusional person". I only said you were not the only girl with a 32 there, and not to ASSUME that you were. I was clearly correcting your inaccurate statement. So don't ASSUME that I think that about you, I've never even met you.

Your documentary sounds fascinating. Is it available for viewing anywhere? I'm a little confused though, you said it's about women and their 32 roadsters. Paula Burns races a model A roadster, not a 32. Does she also own a 32 roadster? Is it about women and roadsters, not just 32's? If thats the case I can think of at least 2 other women that currently race roadsters at El Mirage and Bonneville.

Good Luck with your project, it sounds like a worthy undertaking.
    BTW, your roadster looks a lot better now with the new color/ wheel & tire combo.
    Tom

20. How can we get/buy copys of 'Last of the Hiboy Girls'?

21. My old phone could be a star? I might be able to help some. I saw you at El Mirage, today. Some stock cars would be good for realism and contrast. Maybe you could use LACR (before it's gone) for the Saugus scenes. That might be a cool thing, and the Ratfink Party is there next weekend.

Thanks,
    Kurt

Attached Files:

22. HiboyGirl

HiboyGirl

yes I could use the phone, is the dial clear or black? Do you know what year it was manufactured?

using LACR owuld be difficult for two reasons:

a- I sincerely doubt the owner would donate the use (he would probably want money and this is a NO budget, therefore very challenging project) (of course I should correct this and say it is a 10K budget production, which was entirely spent on filming gear).

b- saugus did not look like LACR. It did not have walls, clocks, digital displays and billboards. It pretty much had nothing except for 2 oak trees and at some point a few palm trees and a short metal tower. There was not a single building there, no bleachers, no walls, no fences... Just a short airstrip and a few dry brushes, more or less :rolleyes: ...

El Mirage sunday was so awesome.... The footage was out of this world... I will post production stills soon. Yes I sure could use shoeboxes! But could not find many at El Mirage that day. Basically we rounded up whatever we could find there, enough to fill each frame / shot. We did have a few stock cars, but it would have been nice to have more.

23. HiboyGirl

HiboyGirl

Well actually that short film is not for sale. Since I started on the movie I have not had a chance to render the new edited version and burn DVDs. And I doubt I will have a chance to... But who knows? Anything's possible with me :D ...

24. Django

Django
    from Chicago

The Hot Rod Hucksters might be willing to contribute a tune if you're interested.

25. ChevyGirlRox

ChevyGirlRox
    from Ohio

Not even for other hi-boy girls?;)

26. HiboyGirl

HiboyGirl

:D Ah, I like you already too, you are the supportive type. My kind of people! well I tell ya PeteJoe, yesterday I filmed the Deuce of Spades zipping across the lake bed at sunset. I kept looking in my viewfinder and could not believe my eyes. It was absolutely breathtaking. I must admit I was kinda overwhelmed. Everything was so gorgeous, the roadster (with its lack of windshield and white numbers, it looked so perfect on that dry lake), the lake itself (God I love that place) the skies and the SUNSET turned everything gold (well, it did once I tweaked my camera settings that is hehe) and it reflected on the roadster's chrome and body.... And then there was "Johnny Callaway" (Eric Callero), who looked like a vision right out of the fifties and boy did he ever look drop dead gorgeous in that hotrod zipping across the lake. The dust the roadster kicked up looked Gold and at some point all we could see was the silhouette of the hotrod against a golden sky... Wow.... I thought to myself, "Darn, this movie is going to rock beyond recognition"... I can't wait to share a few production stills with you guys... We took over 500 pictures - did 3 seperate photo shoots, plus production stills while filming. I am waiting to get the DVD with all the shots on it, but when I do you guys will be the first ones to get a looksy. Then you'll understand what I mean.

PS: Ah if only I had 500K budget (sigh) but then again, I probably would lose my artistic integrity in the process. This project will remain pure because it is not ruled, dictated or controlled by a corporation, share holders or greedy investors. And NO budget is a beautiful place to be in deed... And I bet cha you guys will be surprised to see how much one little hotrod girl can do on so very little, with a little help from all her friends and her hotrod family. :D :D :D :D

27. 48fordnut

48fordnut
    Member Emeritus

I was there in the day. don't let these guy/or gals get your goat about being a purist. you have already stated your intentions, go girl, and roadster. you have my support. will buy at least 2 of what you produce.

28. No, but I believe it's pre-65, maybe older. I was going by the phones posted early in the thread. The dial is clear. Hmmm, I'm trying to think of a good public place for the Saugus deal. Would a very unused public place work, or does it have to be private property?

Thanks,
    Kurt

29. Royalshifter

Royalshifter
    from California

Ladyshifter has a cool 50's back yard and totally 50's house inside including kitchen.
    [​IMG]

30. Just a suggestion, but it's a shame you can't find a way to do copys. It would be a great way to generate revenue. I know I would buy a couple.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.