Register now to get rid of these ads!

"Deuce Of Spades" - The Next American Graffiti?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by HiboyGirl, Jun 30, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. OLLIN

OLLIN

That sounds cool! I would be an extra for you and Ill bet I could get a few friends to do it too. I know my buddy Patrick (of Pat James & the tomahawks), would do it and he would probably also let you use some of his songs. Here;s his myspace:

http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewprofile&friendid=18302374

Also, Can you please post the approximate dates of when you are shooting the particular scenes. I could maybe have my early 50's style model T ready by then, at least to park it in the background or whatever..

2. How about a 50's style custom? Looks much better than the American Graffitti Merc. You can use my 49 Merc. Background maybe?

Attached Files:

3. Saoutlaws_Gotti

Saoutlaws_Gotti

dammmm wish i was in cali so i could lend a hand

HBG Is this gonna be on the big screen or are we gonna have to buy copies what bb, id love to see it when finished and id love to add a copy to my ever groing library of flixs

I was a standin (i guess you can call it) for a Lowrider movie made here in San antonio a few years back and my car was in quit a few background shots and let me tell you i had the time of my life those two days

4. thisbugger

thisbugger

will a stock 50 merc work?

[​IMG]

5. Flathead Youngin'

Flathead Youngin'

sounds pretty cool....keep the momentum rolling.......

might have to play it at the next cinematic

6. jangleguy

jangleguy

There's a couple instrumentals here that might be just right - one moody and one with an "adventurous" vibe. A couple of gut-bucket blues' and even an upbeat doo-wop thingie. All of it's analog though, so I'll see what I can do about re-doing these digitally, asap. What's my deadline to get these to you?
    Scotty

7. Bone Daddy

Bone Daddy

Way to go!!! I'm in NY and wish we could help. We definately will buy copies of your movie and help distribute it in the northeast. We also make one of a kind decals. Here is a name we borrowed from an out of business speed shop in Calif from the 1940's -50. The owners real name was Spud Meth. Crazy but true. We could drop the .com or maybe make something special up for you if you give us a couple weeks. We can make it look like old adverstising. Good luck and best wishes, Joe

8. kustombuilder

kustombuilder
    from Novi, MI

i LOVE this whole concept. i also think it is realy rad how everyone wants to get involved and help. like so many others i be willing to help with ANYTHING if only i were'nt so damn far away and plane tickets did'nt cost so much.

on an unrelated note. i think i saw you and your car when i was out there for the GNRS. i was with the Ionia Hot Rod Shop guys. i was REALY diggin yer roadster (if that was you) and the hot brunette that was with it. ;)

9. The next American Grafitti?

Uh, no.

Sam.

10. beauishere

beauishere

American Graffiti is a great movie to aspire to. They'll never be another.
    As for old songs, alot of the old music from the Fifties have expiring copyrights right now. A whole lot is coming into "open domain" so to speak. It's a problem and the lawyers haven't figured it out yet. Perhaps you can use the situation to your benefit. Good luck.

Also, remember, most cars weren't hot rods back then, and most guys didn't look like they belonged in Sha Na Na.

11. HiboyGirl

HiboyGirl

Yep I could use him, he's got that look. Can you put us in touch? I'll send him a message via his myspace too.

I could use all the 50's looking guys you can toss my way :) I need a large number of them for the Saugus scenes... Fire away! Send them to my movie website and they can contact me direct thorugh there.

DATES: It is too early yet to set dates for the flashback scenes. Since Saugus will be filmed in desert type location (El mirage or Palmdale or Canyon Country) it is likely I will shoot those scene AFTER the heat of summer is gone. Or we will all die. :eek:

12. HiboyGirl

HiboyGirl

Big screen? I WISH.... No, we are going to have to content ourself with a home invasion ;) , take over your TV sets, big or small screens and you'll even save money on your home made popcorn!

I have not looked into distribution yet, too early and have so many other headaches to tend to right now, but it will be available on DVD for sure and at the very least through the website.

So YES, I do want to share it with as many people as I can, I am a story teller and this is a GOOD story and I most certainly want everyone to hear it, one way or another!

13. HiboyGirl

HiboyGirl

Will probably not be done by then. Movies take about 1.5 to 2 years to complete :rolleyes: ... So maybe the following one then?

14. HiboyGirl

HiboyGirl

What format do you have them on right now?

15. HiboyGirl

HiboyGirl

I could use some decals that look 40's and 50's as props... Do you have some you can spare?

Also, your offer to make a decal is awesome... I have to think about wehat the decal shoud be, but I suspect it woud have something to do with Johnny Callaway's speedshop... Or racing... have suggestions? I'll ask Jim Miller for his expert input on that, between all of us we can come up with something cool, 50's looking and movie related. YOu can have 2 weeks, no problem at all! THANK YOU so much! You guys ROCK!

16. HiboyGirl

HiboyGirl

Hot brunette? No, no hot brunette here... It must have been my evil twin sister :D ... Me, I'm only a 'warm' brunette... But can be hot brunette after a bear or two HAHA! How many did you have that day? :D

But seriously, yop that was me, it had to be, I was the only girl with a 32 there. My car was in the Suede Palace.

17. HiboyGirl

HiboyGirl

It was a matter of speach Sam... My film has little in common with AG, it is a very different concept. And they also had over 200K to film, and I have zip. So there you have it.

18. JimA

JimA
    BANNED

Well, you are the one that typed it in the title.

19. HiboyGirl

HiboyGirl

AS far as I know it is still 75 years limit for public domaine, unless yo live in UK that is... So the 50's repertoire is still locked... :(

20. JimA

JimA
    BANNED

Also try and keep it down on the BLACK PRIMER/RED DETAILS. Not every car was like that- that's an OL SKOOL RODZ thing- NOT a '50s thing- ESPECIALLY relatively new cars like the F-1 Ford pickup in the background-it would still have decent paint in 1955. And faded old black primer is REALLY wrong because the primered cars were only that way for weeks- NOT years.

21. steelratrod47

steelratrod47
    from Florida

very cool tellm me are you planning this to be a dvd release or you trying to get a cinema im to far away to help but put me down for a copy of the finished film man as soon as it hits dvd looks great

22. No disrespect Jim A but my brother & I painted his 49 ex-police car grey primer in the hay barn with an electrolux vacumn. He ran it that way until it went to the yard. There was a chopped & channeled A coupe a kid had with a 49 dash insert that was black primer for as long as I can remember. This was in the mid-fifties in ohio. My 40 coupe was painted black & blue with a brush(not much shine there) cause a tornado dropped a building on it & we pounded it out with a sledgehammer. No bondo necessary.

23. wvenfield

wvenfield

I thnk we all might like seeing those pics. :)

Anyways, while they aren't that hard to find I have a box of womens hats from the period. None of them fit me so I have no use for them. :) They likely need cleaned and maybe fiddled with as I've had them in the basement for years but they may come in handy for extras in the background.

They aren't anything super special but you did say you weren't on a big budget. If you can use them, PM me as I likely may not find this post again. Send an address and I'll ship them off to you. If you can't use them, take them to Goodwill.

24. Gigantor

Gigantor

Why not use some Lucky Strike non-filters for your cigarettes? That package is a classic ... I smile every time I light one up ... after I get through hacking and coughing! ;-)

25. kustombuilder

kustombuilder
    from Novi, MI

i thought that was you ;) ... Hotroddrummer and i kept going back and forth from checking out your car to checking out you :D . you prolly thought we were psycho stalkers all the times we went by your car. LOL:D

26. That's MY letter you found in the 1/4 panel! I never mailed it because that hooker of a girfriend wasn't worth the stamp. I'll sue for defamation of character(?) if you disclose it's contents. I want IT and my car back. I know i was young then ( 1 year old) and did some foolish things. But, that letter's personal. Googoo gaa gaa

27. jangleguy

jangleguy

They're on 1/4" tape, some 1/2" tape, cassette - it's a mess. And frankly, since I posted that (just over 24 hours ago), I haven't had time to even THINK about getting this together! I'm right in the middle of my own thrash right now (see "Son of Godzilla Update") and have no time at all. I had good intentions of calling a buddy to book some studio time (if he has time to play with this stuff) and re-record three tunes for the movie, digitally, but haven't gotten around to it. So I don't know how realistic this is. Please give me another 24 hours and I'll see what I can produce - it'll happen if it's meant to be. And I DO want it to happen - there's just other people on the priority list right now (damn it!)...
    Scotty

28. beauishere

beauishere

And the Hatfields and McCoys ran around with bare feet and corn cob pipes, but it wasn't the "norm".

29. HiboyGirl

HiboyGirl

Oh, no big rush, I won't be finalizing music for months. You have plenty of time... :)

30. HiboyGirl

HiboyGirl

Before this thread starts degenerating into a battle about how things were or were not back in the 50's, I need to point out a few things:

As far as the historical accuracy of the film, here are a few things to keep in mind:

1- I have an extensive network of OLD TIMERS who are all my dear friends and all are helping with guidance. People like Monk, George Callaway as well as Jay Carnine and many more, just to name a few, they have all lived the era right here in So Cal where the action takes place. Most of the movie facts are VERY accurate. Jim Miller, currator for the hotrod foundation, has been working on this since day one, and he is VERY knowledgeable.

2- Having said that, will the movie be 100% accurate? No, of course not, simply because we do not have a budget to film with. So we have to make do and try to get it as close as possible as we can within the means available to us at this time. At least we are TRYING to make it as accurate as possible, but we will surely be off.

To conclude, if you are a purist and are unable to be forgiving and turn the blind eye to the necessary deviations due to the fact that this is a no budget DIY movie, and if these deviations are going to offend you in any way, then I strongly suggest you simply not watch the film and stick to documentaries instead. That's perfectly fine, we won't resent you for it. To each his own.

However for the rest of us who are happy to simply have the chance to finally see a new full feature film on hotrods be created, the movie will be satisfying enough. And we will (hopefully) enjoy the heck out of it and watch it a bunch of times. Even if it is not 100% period correct.

NOTE: Please note that the photo of Johnny Callaway in the roadster was taken at a recent cast meeting at BBB and is NOT a production still from the movie, this is not a scene from the movie and the cars in the backgrounds just happened to be there. Also, if one wants to be period correct, then one should comment on the 70's Dan Fink windshield that's bolted on the roadster, because it certainly is not period correct either. Note that in the flashback scene the roadster runs without a windshield at all and with a full hood. And the list goes on and on... But I'll spare you :rolleyes: the details...

OK, well, I just thought I would point these things out so to give everyone a better understanding of why things are the way they are. I hope this clarified a few things and thank everyone for their support and input.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.