Register now to get rid of these ads!

Deuce Hoods

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Bigcheese327, Jan 30, 2004.

1. Bigcheese327

Bigcheese327

I was drooling over the Rootlieb site the other day and noticed that they make both a 20 and a 25 louver hood for the '32 Ford. I like the 25 louver better but someone once told me that the reproductions were innaccurate. Is that true? What's wrong with them? Also, is a Ford FE too wide to fit beneath a stock Deuce hood?

2. I don't think the FE is too wide to go under a 32 hood.

My 455 Buick is pretty wide and it fits.
    It's pretty close to the firewall though.

3. DRD57

DRD57

Ray Charles could tell the difference.

Here's the repop:

Attached Files:

4. DRD57

DRD57

Here's the real deal:

Attached Files:

5. Bigcheese327

Bigcheese327

Thanks much, fellas!

6. Bruce Lancaster

Bruce Lancaster
    Member Emeritus

Many of the repros also have a sort of nasty little pucker at each end of each louver that shows when the paint is shiny.
    On the depressing side, Ebay driven lunatics have driven the 25 louver sides over a thousand dollars in some venues!

7. alchemy

alchemy

I recently got $860 for my rusty 25 louver hood on Ebay. And it went to Sweden. I agree, the prices are crazy, but if you want to play (by the rules), you got to pay.

alchemy

8. The original 32 Ford side panels that have 25 louvers are stamped deep enough to stick you little finger in them...
    The first two louvers on the 25 louver side panels are shorter than the other 23 ....HRP

9. DRD57

DRD57

short 2 on the front

Attached Files:

10. 1LOWCHIEF

1LOWCHIEF

damn, I DO learn something new everyday! [​IMG]
    and who woulda thought!

11. Deuce Roadster

Deuce Roadster
    Member Emeritus

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Sorry for the old photo. I know it has been seen here before ....but look at the engine area of the hood. You can see the engine very easily with a original 25 vent hood.......and with a original 20 vent ( or repro 25 er ....) you cannot. The repro 25 vent hoods are just a repro 20 vent with 5 more vents pressed.......using the same louver vents as the 20 vent.

The 25 vent hood.....sometime called the roadster hood.....came out in mid August of 1932. It came on V8 cars that were going to warm climates. They also came on all V8 1932 Sedan Deliveries ( around 400 total ....all built in October ). The nickname ' roadster hood ' is a nickname.......they came on all passenger body styles but most of the California Hot Rod roadsters had them...if they could find one. They cool a lot better than a 20 venter. A original 25er is almost like no hood at all as far as cooling is concerned.

They have gotten pricey...... [​IMG] [​IMG] ..glad I got mine 25 years ago......

[​IMG]