Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Deuce Coupe STRAIGHT out of the 70's

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Corn Fed, Jul 7, 2015.

1. Corn Fed

Corn Fed

This weekend I was strolling thru the Deuce-Doins at the Goodguys show in Des Moines when I spotted this 32 Coupe for sale in a price range that I could afford. It had an excellent body and was all original steel except for the front fenders and grille shell. My older brother and I looked it over quickly as the sharks started to circle. I knew I had to act fast so without even hearing it run or knowing anything about the mechanicals, I said I’d take it. It is obviously an early 1970’s build judging by the diamond button-tuffed stitching, shag fur carpeting, thick padded dash, straight axle and wide tires sticking out of the fenders. There’s even a CB and 4-track player (I never knew a 4-track existed…it was fazed out in 1970 in favor of 8-tracks). It has a 327 and a ’57ish Chevy rear hung by some huge ladder bars and big coil springs. The straight front axle has hairpins and ’53 Chevy spindles/brake with drilled backing plates. Some of the construction is pretty good, but other parts like the brake pedal/cylinder mounting, steering, and wiring are downright scary. It definitely is from a different time and state of mind.

Attached Files:

2. raven

raven

Wow, nice score. That's got a lot to work with for very little work.
    r

volvobrynk likes this.
  3. Hey those are the rides I remember as a kid...so what's the going rate for something like that, and what are ta planning to do to it? Looks like a well cared for car

4. 56premiere

56premiere
    from oregon

Nice , hope it works out .

5. Gearhead Graphics

Gearhead Graphics
    from Denver Co

Screams 70s. but whats shown looks like a solid car. Hows the chassis work on it?

6. love that top insert and padded dash.

what's your plans? you better drive it to BTT50's next year so i can get a closer look

7. I don't blame you at all,I know if it was in my price range I would have been all over it like a duck on a June bug! :D HRP

8. alchemy

alchemy

Show them which billet wheels you've picked out for it.

9. 3wLarry

3wLarry
    Member Emeritus
    from Owasso, Ok

just let the air out of the dash and drive it

that was a steal for 20K

10. What a score! Leave it as-is or make some changes?

11. Full tank of gas, KC and the Sunshine Band on hi-fi blast, and a cold cold beer would do that thing wonders. Good for you.

12. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

Please post the progress for the number he had on it even my tight ass would have jumped on it fast!

13. typo41

typo41
    Member Emeritus

No KC, Deep Purple,, curizing down Main, parking on the fence at the drags, 'did you hear about that movie American 'something'?", did you get your number?

duecesteve, yruhot and volvobrynk like this.
  14. bowie

bowie
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Congrats on your super cool score. Not that you asked ,but I agree on your updates; then lose the step plates,cowl lights and horn...put on a set of American magnesiums (rears tucked in a little) and haul ass down the road! Those look to be Keystone valve covers,what small block#'s and trans in her?

Last edited: Jul 7, 2015
    richard souza and volvobrynk like this.
  15. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

That thing rules!

16. Gotgas

Gotgas
    from DFW USA

Awesome car! What are your plans for it?

I always like Harry Luzader's coupe.

[​IMG]

pitman, Jibs, kiwijeff and 1 other person like this.
  17. deucetruck

deucetruck
    from Missouri

Nice score. (Saw a picture of your coupe on a previous post.) Another one saved by a HAMB'er.

volvobrynk likes this.
  18. brady1929

brady1929

19. PA Gas

PA Gas

very cool, nice find

20. catdad49

catdad49

Nice find! Looks pretty decent, make it safe and drive it while you decide what changes (if any) will make you happy.

Last edited: Jul 7, 2015
    volvobrynk likes this.
  21. Black Panther

Black Panther
    from SoCal

I dig it....X2 on the Keystone valve covers...looks to still have the matching "K" wing nuts too..you know that car has been sitting in someone's garage for decades to still look like that....

duecesteve, volvobrynk and bowie like this.
  22. Neat old heap. A gas class type of a car gone show boat. ;)

I actually had a 4 track Craig that moved from car to car at one point. I paid 5 bucks for it with a box of tapes because 4 tracks were not "cool".

Anyway nice car. I think anything that you don't like could be easily rectified.

23. Black Panther

Black Panther
    from SoCal

Change the dash...adjust the rolling stock...maybe a M/T crossram....and this car is DONE....

24. Corn Fed

Corn Fed

I’m still thinking about what to do with it. I could go old skool, chop the top, bob the rear fenders, put a dropped axle under it and make an American Graffiti clone. Or go high tech by ordering a whole new chassis from Heidts , lose all the fenders, chop the top, and paint it red.

25. Uh you are supposed to put on of these at the end of your post. :rolleyes:

I think that what you bought is actually a late '60s build. I wouldn't know what to do with it, but I may lean toward the Gas Class build and drive it like I stole it. ;)

duecesteve, redlineracer42 and bowie like this.
  26. johnnyboy76

johnnyboy76
    from Sparta, WI

Love it! I'd drive it just like it is. Some of it's kinda gross but you'll have a jump on the next big craze.. 70's period correct.

27. Well you know what they say everyone can be cool twice in life if he just holds still long enough, cool when it was cool the first time and then cool when it comes back around again. :D

I would try and do something about the padded dash. Diamond tuck was a '60s thing and can be kept in my mind and the tires are easy enough to change.

volvobrynk and johnnyboy76 like this.
  28. Now that is one sweet 5 window coupe, not chopped, not channeled, not lowered, not f3333d with, clean small block, 4 speed, nice puffy interior. Just a nice good clean build, If it was mine I wouldn't change anything if you want the other stuff go find one that is done that way don't change the history that that one has. Very awesome car,wish it was mine!!!!!

yruhot, volvobrynk and kidcampbell71 like this.
  29. -Brent-

-Brent-

I love the stance. If the interior/trunk was toned-down a bit, it'd be perfect (aside from the tires).

Nice score.

30. indyjps

indyjps

Read my mind, if you leave the front high, yank the bumper as well.

Check the numbers on the sbc, late 60's early 70's build could easily have a factory hi-po from a wreck in it.

Pull some parts off, couple interior items (dash), add some wheels, check tje mechanicals, and just run it. No need to tear this car apart.