Register now to get rid of these ads!

History Detroit: Photos from the past..

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Deuces, Sep 25, 2011.

1. Deuces

Deuces

2. Deuces

Deuces

3. rod rialto

rod rialto
    from rialto, ca

I lived around Detroits (Pontiac, Lincoln Park, South Gate, Taylor, Dearborn and finally Canton) when I worked in the auto industry from 1997-2009. I loved talking to old farts about how Detroit was back in the day. There was a guy I particularly liked to talked to who graduated from Henry Ford Technical School in 1946 as a tool maker. He made a great living until he retired in 1999, although he too had to jump around a bit. Every building I would tell him about, he knew about. I went urban exploring in the David Whitney building, and he told me about a dentist he visited in that building in the 50's. I told him about the "old" redford theather...he told me how he saw Harry Belafonte there in 1964. I spent many, many, many hours looking at old building, and wondering about how great it would have been to be in Detroit pre 1960. I too also hoped for a Detroit turnaround, but by the time I left, I agreed with that old fart that the only hope for Detroit is too blow it up and start over again.