Register now to get rid of these ads!

Customs Detroit Great Eight Posted

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by krylon32, Mar 1, 2024.

1. jim snow

jim snow

X2. Snowman ⛄️

Stock Racer likes this.
  2. dana barlow

dana barlow
    from Miami Fla.
    1. Y-blocks

3. CycleTech

CycleTech
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I would take the 56.

49ratfink, Paul B and jimmy six like this.
  4. SS327

SS327

The 56 looks more my style. But style wise none are exactly my cup of tea. I guess I’m old.

Stock Racer, Deuces and jimmy six like this.
  5. Rickybop

Rickybop
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I just don't get the warm and fuzzies about an old car laden with a bunch of the latest stuff.

6. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I think it has the best vibe and most unique. Corvettes with big wheels are not exactly ground breaking. Kindig has done better work, that vette is more like something off overhaulin. The henry J is interesting, paint looks great.

7. So, seeing these in person, I pick the light green Mercury product.

8. theHIGHLANDER

theHIGHLANDER
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I'm picking the vette. Not my style (any of em) but the execution, presentation, quality, all dead-on. The others seemed have too much of 1 thing, not enough of the other, just a cliché grouping of gotta have it to win. I love the idea of a Mustang roof on a Cougar. Way kool. The ¼ windows tho? Best you got? The OEM vent panels woulda been a better choice. I'd have made it look factory 1st, then do "the thing" they did. Even a blank 69-70 sports roof with a Cougar badge woulda been better. Eyesore now because that silly window owns the profile. Sorry, my "snob" has entered the chat. I'll be shocked if the vette doesn't win.

Deuces, Just Gary, 49ratfink and 3 others like this.
  9. Yea, my guess of what actually wins is the vette too.

winduptoy likes this.
  10. wheeldog57

wheeldog57

I'm willing to bet that the planning, the blood, sweat, and tears, and the passion put into these cars are the same as what I put into my cars.
    Two substantial differences are;
    1- the amount of money spent and
    2- professional results

bill gruendeman and lurker mick like this.
  11. A Boner

A Boner

I’ll pick the 53 Corvette with the non-H.A.M.B. friendly wheels, for the win! Easy choice.

bill gruendeman and lurker mick like this.
  12. Gizzy

Gizzy
    from N.W,Ohio

Agreed

Stock Racer likes this.
  13. 1pickup

1pickup

Funny. My first thought was If it was mine, I'd be looking for a roof to put it back the way it was. Understandable that everyone here is bagging on these cars as it's not the focus of most on this board. But if you're honest with yourself, you have to admire the craftsmanship, even if you don't agree with the results. As a former owner of a couple of Cougars like that, I'm not a fan of the fastback modification. Why take a great looking car & turn it into a Mustang? I always liked the notchbacks better than the fastbacks anyway.

Tow Truck Tom likes this.
  14. eaglebeak

eaglebeak

Yes. John Greer's Brinks Express. 1971 winner. Drove it all over the place. Back to Hamilton, ON where he lived.

Deuces likes this.
  15. CycleTech

CycleTech
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I have to agree!!!
    I like notchbacks better too. Especially later foxbodies. the fastback was over used.

Deuces likes this.
  16. Yeah, the quarter windows look terrible. The beltline transition from the door to the quarterpanel missed too.

17. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

The Kindig built car while emulating a Corvette concept car is all hand built aluminum unibody construction with almost every part and piece on the car including the exposed bolts being custom built. A hand built from scratch car might not spin the judges wheels as much as a totally changed and modified car though.
    A couple of the other cars outside of the level of workmanship probably won't draw a lot of attention away from when they are on display with their 2024 great 8 contestant plaque.

05snopro440 and Tow Truck Tom like this.
  18. Hemi Joel

Hemi Joel
    from Minnesota

Are big dumb wheels a prerequisite to entry in this event?

The Henry J Ute is pretty cool. Even the design of the donks minimized their obnoxiousness. I could make that car work for me with a nicer set of wheels.

rod1, Deuces, Tow Truck Tom and 3 others like this.
  19. redo32

redo32

What time are they presenting the Ridler?

20. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

It's anyone's guess. :cool:

Just Gary likes this.
  21. Show closed at 7:00 Eastern Time…so, before that? :D

Bandit Billy likes this.
  22. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Crap, the Kindig corvette won. Nice build, lots of money, silly looking car.

23. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

No, you see what I was going for was "Ridler"...anyones "guess". Playful punnery. :cool:

24. Ah…now I get it. :oops:

25. Fortunateson

Fortunateson

I don’t mind the ‘59 Vette at all but I would replace the wheels. Last fall I lead a car tour to the interior of BC and I had arranged to visit JF’s shop. After promising not to mention of word of the Cougar/Mustang build we were allowed to take a peek. Now I’ve seen a couple of other versions of this hybrid but his shop’s work was outstanding! Underneath the car was as good as the top. All welds smoothed out so the frame looked like just one tube bent there’d it needed to be. Floor panels perfect top and bottom, paint perfect, and all the other little things as well. Not complete at that point but it was getting close. I won’t say what the owner was paying but I’ll never, or all my descendants, be in that level of wealth. Very beautiful car and those quarter panels are both hand formed. I agree with the comments regarding the quarter windows though.

Now this is a forum for TRADITIONAL Hot Rods and the Riddler Award isn’t really interested in that stuff so the cars may not what we’re interested in but the skill set involved in producing these cars cannot be denied!

See “Killer Customs” on YouTube for build details.....

05snopro440, firstinsteele and Paulz like this.
  26. The Kindig Corvette won the Ridler Award.

49ratfink and 05snopro440 like this.
  27. Tow Truck Tom

Tow Truck Tom
    from Clayton DE

28. rusty rocket

rusty rocket

The Henry J Ute was built by a local guy Tyler Nelson and his crew here in Rapid City South Dakota. I know him personally, he started out in a shop building hotrod drivers. He found a niche building hi end mega buck cars and trucks and has been in contention for several goodguy car and truck of the years. It’s totally not my style but I have to give Tyler a BIG pat on the back for his (and crew) accomplishment to be from a podunk small ass town in western South Dakota and have a great 8 Ridler contender. Good job Buddy!!!!!!!

Damon777, rusty1, Hemi Joel and 3 others like this.
  29. didn't see anything there I liked much....

427 sleeper and jimmy six like this.