Register now to get rid of these ads!

Detail Painting Hub Caps and Valve Covers

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 51MercSuicide, Dec 21, 2011.

1. 51MercSuicide

51MercSuicide
    from Kansas

Trying to figure out what the best product is for painting between the fins on valve covers and the inedents on some Ford script hub caps.

I've read on everything from 1-shot, to Testors, to Nail Polish (WTF)!

I've never tried to paint anything I gave a s%&t about, but this time I'm trying not to destroy my investment.

2. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

Tape off the fins and spray 'em. One Shot the hub caps. Patience.... lots of it.

3. Cruiser

Cruiser

ditto

4. mj40's

mj40's

I just did mine and used Eastwoods engine paint. I also tried the PPG Concept auto paint and both worked great with a small brush. Hell even the engine was painted with a foam brush.

[​IMG]

5. KoolKat-57

KoolKat-57
    from Dublin, OH

6. Another alternative, especially for hubcaps is a paint pen such as Deco-Color, available at craft and hobby stores, plus other online sellers. Works something like a marker pen, but with paint. comes in a couple tip sizes. Search the net and see available sizes and colors.

7. The paint pens uncle bob is talking about work great. I've used them on alot of intricate r/c car paint jobs and models. Michael's, Hobby Lobby, and Wal-Mart all sell them. Lots of colors too

8. wombat barf

wombat barf
    from oklahoma

1. tape off large areas you don't want to paint.

2. leave the fins and areas between the indents unmasked.

3. prime the areas you want primed with Krylon primer.

4. allow the items to dry.

5. once the primer dries remove it from the fins and other high areas with fine steel wool.

(this removes the primer from the high areas and polishes the metal while leaving the low spots primed.)

blow the dust and steel wool bits off the piece.

repeat step 3 (but with paint instead of primer) and then repeat steps 4 and 5. you are done and your items have been polished as well as painted.