Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Detail Bag

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by woodiewagon46, Nov 26, 2021.

1. woodiewagon46

woodiewagon46
    from New York

A reminder to all that carry a detail bag in their car and live in cold climate's, to remove the bag and bring it into somewhere warm. Last year it totally slipped my mind and in the spring had several cracked and empty spray bottles and sludge in the bottom of the bag.

Petejoe, loudbang, GordonC and 2 others like this.
  2. Great reminder! And don't forget any unheated garage space can be a problem as well.

GordonC likes this.
  3. oldiron 440

oldiron 440

It's not like the products in the bag are cheap...

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  4. Slopok

Slopok

I have a Flathead, got tools in my trunk! o_O

5. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Been there, done that and had to clean up the mess. You want to check for any plastic bottles or cans of pop/soda left in hidden corners of the car too as they like to explode when they freeze and then make a mess when it melts.

VANDENPLAS and lothiandon1940 like this.
  6. Same goes for that hair gel you use for your pompadour maintenance.:D;)

7. I'm a Dapper Dan man myself. It ain't no liquid.

8. ........Just be careful if the dam breaks!:D

VANDENPLAS likes this.

9. 04B90762-66D3-4ED1-95E8-08965E2BC08B.gif

10. jnaki

jnaki

QUOTE="woodiewagon46, post: 14287683, member: 215025"]A reminder to all that carry a detail bag in their car and live in cold climate's, to remove the bag and bring it into somewhere warm. Last year it totally slipped my mind and in the spring had several cracked and empty spray bottles and sludge in the bottom of the bag.[/QUOTE]

Hello,

As a teenager, I was a fanatic detail person. My 58 Impala was black and needed daily care, even though it sat in the garage afterschool and overnight. Before going to school each day, the pristine Impala was given the once over with a fine white, soft cotton cloth. By the time we got to the front row parking spot in in front of the school, the Impala stood out from near and far.

Glistening black paint and shiny chrome did the trick for all to see. As the tons of teenagers walked by to go to the main entrance, we all had a cool attraction and the normal teenage banter, started with the comments on the Impala. Some good and some getting the ridicule jabs in place. Those latter comments, were met with the “fickle finger of fate…”

In the trunk, I always carried a zip up clear plastic bag (not Ziplocks) with the “goodies” in place. They got stashed behind the spare tire for support and vertical position. One day, after an off campus lunch, I had to park a block away from the normal spot. When I got back to the Impala after school, some little, idiot, neighborhood kids had thrown mud on the side of the front fender and door.

I was fuming and the lady sitting on a rocker on the porch had a smile, despite me telling her those kids were a bunch of idiots and that it was poor parenting on her behalf. As well as other teenage sayings… all the while we broke out the cleaning & detailing stuff to get the mud off the pristine black paint. No scratches, but still glistening black paint, once cleaned up and polished.

Jnaki

upload_2021-12-2_4-18-55.png

Needless to say, we never parked in that location again, if we did go off campus for lunch. Afterwards, we just drove to the HS auto shop driveway and parked next to the wall leading into the open garage door. Plenty of room for other project cars to go in and out of the rolled up door area.
    upload_2021-12-2_4-19-14.png
    The detailing stuff has been a staple in all of our cars, but by today’s standards, window cleaning stuff, spray on cleaner/wax and a clean cloth are the main items of use and storage. Overnight stays in ocean influenced harbor parking lots does a number on the windows for clear vision on the way home. The car is covered with salt spray from the air and does get a hosing off when we arrive at home. But, if there are bird droppings, out comes the fast spray on cleaner/wax combo to get that “yucky" stuff off, before it cakes on the surface.

We don’t pack in the car detailing stuff, just emergency items. There are just as many detailing items in the garage drawers to do the yearly detail cleaning and waxing.