Register now to get rid of these ads!

DeSoto hemi guys 4x2 cooling setups, upper hoses

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Minewithnoshine, Mar 23, 2010.

1. Minewithnoshine

Minewithnoshine

I'm looking for pictures of the upper hose setup on DeSoto hemi's with with the Weiand 4x2 setup. Since these engine have no water crossover, we have to get a little creative. I have the Rodder's Journal with the Lloyd Bakan coupe and it has individual hoses from each side of the manifold going to the radiator with no thermostat. I guess there were outlets put on each side, like a flathead, but these outlets were only half the size or less. I know these weren't ever really meant to be street setup manifolds, hence the no thermostat or hose housing. Any pictures or advice is appreciated. I'm trying to keep it all era looking with rubber hose and brass fittings if possible, not really wanting to do any AN fittings. Thanks guys!

2. famous59

famous59
    from dallas, tx

build you a crossover that would house a thermosat. have the hose come up from each side into a metal cylinder (to say) that holds a thermostat. From there a hose to the radiator

3. Minewithnoshine

Minewithnoshine

Yea, I've seen the Hot Heads one, but it looks like an after thought in my mind. Just a big billet chunk hanging out there, and nothing on the car is newer than '56, that's why I'm trying to stay with a pure traditional look. Yea, I might be going to far at this point, just seeing what other guys in the past have done.

4. fuel

fuel

I've got the same problem. I think I'm going to make mine out of stainless, the intake, water crossover, and all. It might not be traditional but at least it will work (hopefully). I see hambers all the time trying to find parts for these desotos and no one has a decent intake. It makes no sense.

5. cracker head

cracker head

Look at Bass's coupe, Bob Wilsons roadster. They have the "setup" that Famous59 is refering to.

6. jtille

jtille

I would also like to see some pics

7. jtille

jtille

I found one pic of the 4x2 setup

desoto 4x2 setup.JPG

8. DE SOTO

DE SOTO

I have done similar set ups on 6x2 Log manifolds running 2 Hoses & No T-Stats with no problems.

One on a 389 Pontiac & One on my DeSoto Hemi.

With the size of hose required the Flow is slowed down enough to keep water in the Radiator long enough to cool it down.

Also, Hemi run a Bit Cooler than other engines due to the design.

I cant post pics here, But i am sure i have one of my DeSoto.

If ya P/M me with an E-Mail i can shoot out a pic & someone can post it.

Last edited: Mar 27, 2010
  9. Phil1934

Phil1934

I'd think hard plumb the Offy thermostat housing to one side and run the other hose over to it. Also moves it back so easier to route rad hose.

10. coopsdaddy

coopsdaddy
    from oklahoma

I would like to see this setup,i have a 4x2 intake and would like to run a flathead style radiator,pinkiees built a lime green 32 sedan with this setup but i dont have any good pics,maybe somebody will post a few.

11. Screamin' Metal

Screamin' Metal
    from Oklahoma

Yea, Do as Famous said, works good.......

12. Hot Rod Michelle

Hot Rod Michelle

Hmmmm, very interesting.

13. Minewithnoshine

Minewithnoshine

DE SOTO sent you a PM.

14. coopsdaddy

coopsdaddy
    from oklahoma

Do flatheads have a thermostat housing?It would look alot better to run upper hoses like a flathead

15. coopsdaddy

coopsdaddy
    from oklahoma

Would like to see some pics of this setup,i looked for b wilsons roadster but found nothing

16. George

George

TR Waters make an adaptor that goes on the front of the heads on the solid front Chryslers, maybe it would work on the narrower DeSotos?:confused:

17. Minewithnoshine

Minewithnoshine

I'm going to set mine up like DE SOTO on here has them, as well as the Lloyd Bakan coupe back in the day.

18. WILTBILT

WILTBILT
    from VIRGINIA

I would like to see some pics of this myself

19. Bass

Bass
    from Dallas, TX

Bob's set-up is very similar to mine...in fact, he helped me with mine. It's tig-welded stainless.

I tried running my 331 without a thermostat for a while and didn't like it. It runs a lot cooler with the thermostat...and that's important with the summers here in Texas.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Apr 5, 2010
  20. todd_a

todd_a
    from Tyler, TX

Is yours a DeSoto hemi? I thought you were running a Chrysler.

21. Bass

Bass
    from Dallas, TX

Chrysler, but the front of my '54 heads don't have water outlets...this is just like a Desoto.

Also, if your motor doesn't have a lot of compression and not a lot of timing, you might be able to get away with not running a thermostat. Mine's a bit too radical and the weather here is way too hot for me to get away with it.

22. DE SOTO

DE SOTO

Really ? It must get HOT in Texas :eek:

My DeSoto is .090 Over, 11.5-1 Compression, Vertex Mag with No T-Stats & the hottest its got on a Summer day of driving is 185.

But i do have a Large Fluid capicity in the Cooling system.

23. Bass

Bass
    from Dallas, TX

Yes it does get hot. Over 100 degrees in the shade hot with 80%+ humidity. If you haven't driven your hot rod in this type of heat, you wouldn't believe the difference a thermostat makes.

I just filled my radiator and engine with coolant a couple of days ago and it held almost 5 gallons. How much does yours hold?

Yes you can get away without running a thermostat, but it isn't the best solution for everybody.

24. DE SOTO

DE SOTO

Here where I'm at it gets over 100, But not near the Humidity.

I think mine hold a bit over 6 Gallons, I have a '26 Chrysler Rad with a New Thick Tall core, Damn thing takes FOREVER to fill.

I have restrictors in the Manifold inlets, Maybe 1/2 inch holes .... slows down the Coolant enough to keep it in the Tall Rad long enough to let it cool.

Runs a Stock 6 blade DeSoto Fan, I also have the By Pass plumbed into the top tank... Mostly for Visual so i didnt have an ugly plug in the top of the Chain Case.

25. Bass

Bass
    from Dallas, TX

I think the restrictors are a good idea.

I do like the look of just running a hose on each side like a flathead, but I already had a Walker radiator with a single top center outlet...so I had to make something that would work with it.

I left the thermostat out for the first few months, and then tried it with a thermostat....it would do a lot better sitting in traffic with the thermostat. It runs 150-160 degrees on the highway, and gets to about 180 in traffic now...occassionally up close to 200 on a really hot/humid day.

I wish we didn't have the humidity we have here...it sucks!

26. EARLYHEMIBILL

EARLYHEMIBILL
    from ?

I have the same issue with my Hilborns. 4 hoses run forward to an aluminum manifold which has a thermostat housing welded to one end. It has a bracket attached to the timing cover to act as support. You can see it on my avatar. The reason 'm doing all 4 is for more uniform cooling. If you look at the stock intake manifold, the coolant goes into the engine and comes back out at the front coolant ports. There is no baffleing in the block to direct the coolant. Maybe that's why there are so many cracked heads on the old Desotos. Bill

27. jtille

jtille

could you post a pic?

28. coopsdaddy

coopsdaddy
    from oklahoma

Walker

Last edited: Jan 23, 2013
  29. coopsdaddy

coopsdaddy
    from oklahoma

30. jtille