Register now to get rid of these ads!

Desoto fuel sending unit resistance?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Ether, Nov 12, 2008.

1. Does anyone know the resistance of a 53 Desoto fuel sending unit. Ive installed a 53 dash in my 51 Merc and im trying to adapt the fuel guage to read off the 65 mustang sending unit in the tank. ETHER

Attached Files:

2. oldchevyseller

oldchevyseller
    from mankato mn

The resistance readings of the original are 10 ohms full and 90 ohms empty. The Ford unit is 15 ohms and 100 ohms. Close enough.

3. 31 Coupe

31 Coupe

I know that this is a really old post but what did you finally work out. I also need to get the right sender unit from Tanks Inc. to suit a '50 Desoto fuel gauge.
    Thanks, GB.

4. Rusty O'Toole

Rusty O'Toole

I have an old reference book that gives 10 - 80 ohms for the DeSoto. They used the same sender in all Chrysler products up to 1955 (1956 up was 12 volt).

The Ford sender is a common replacement for the original on old Chrysler products because it costs $35 vs over $100 for the Chrysler one, and the Ford unit is easily available from antique Ford dealers as a repro part.

5. 31 Coupe

31 Coupe

Thanks Rusty,
    Is that 10 empty and 80 full please as per the reference above.
    Thanks, GB.

6. Rusty O'Toole

Rusty O'Toole

I would think it is 10 full and 80 empty. The info I have does not specify. If you are curious you could get 2 resistors, connect them to your gauge and find out for sure.

7. GB, I used a fuel tank and sending unit from a 65 Mustang in my Mercury build. Cheapest setup you can buy!!! The OHMS for the Mustange sending unit are close enought to the Desotos that it works as advertised. I used a 12 to 6 VOLT resistor on the guage and all works well. Did you find a set of guages yet? I've got a few sets.

8. jcs64

jcs64

when you use the old gauge that used to be 6v "positive ground", is there anything else you need to do besides add a voltage reducer?
    To me, I would think you would want to swap the two wires on the back of the gauge?
    thanks for the help, this is for my '51 plymouth

jeff

9. Nope, hook it up just the same with the voltage reducer and you are good to go!!! Next time I take the guage cluster out of the DeSoto dash in my Merc, Ill take a pic of the wiring.