Register now to get rid of these ads!

Design my grille!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by vintagesurvivor, May 15, 2006.

1. vintagesurvivor

vintagesurvivor
    from detroit

I need design ideas for the grille in the Survivor.
    It is a chopped 33-34 Ford Truck grille, so getting the real deal is next to impossible.
    I'm going to solder up brazing rod into a grille pattern, and maybe chrome it. Anything looks better than that empty hole in the front though.

Use this pic, gimme some ideas! I was thinking maybe a spiderweb, or a Maltese cross type thing......
    Mark

Attached Files:

2. chrisntx

chrisntx
    from Texas .

I like the idea of using stainless tubing or rods and silversoldering it together from the back. Stainless is a million times better than chrome

3. vintagesurvivor

vintagesurvivor
    from detroit

Never though of stainless. Expensive , but might balance out with chroming.

ANy idea on a pattern?
    Mark

4. chrisntx

chrisntx
    from Texas .

Stainless is not always expensive. I wanted a piece of stainless tubing for a gas line, went to the plumbing supply, he had 20' sticks that got slightly bent in shipping, sold them to me incredibly cheap, then of course there's used materials, sometimes found on the curb for trash pickup.:D Our local metal recycler sells it by the pound. cheep. A LOT cheaper than chrome, which rusts and flakes and peels off and blows in your face at 60MPH.

5. NVRA #84

NVRA #84

Try These. Stainless tubing would be my suggestion even if you have to have someone else TIG them for you. You can do the bending by hand (fill with sand), form everything up, have it TIG'ed, and then polish it yourself (Dremal works good).

Attached Files:

6. haring

haring

Please, God, no.

Try something less trendy. Let the whole truck do the talking.

I'm confused about your statement about the truck grille. Are you looking for a 32-34 truck grille that you can re-chop? They are easy to find, and generally cheap.

7. 52pickup

52pickup
    from Tucson, Az

please, PLEASE, DON'T do the spider web, or a maltese cross. Your car is so close to perfect, as it was run 45 years ago, it would just be sad to see you go with a grill that is so cliche rat rod.

Considering the time frame of the car, and its overall aperance, I would lean towards a expanded metal/ door knob grill, though I think the stainless tube would look very classy if you went with a standard vertical grill pattern.

8. Dakota

Dakota
    from Beulah, ND

The spider web grille is more traditional than anything else. Calling it rat rod is harsh, i have lots of old magazines that show cars from the 50s/60s with spider web grilles in them.

but do not do a maltese cross.

Just my opinion

9. loogy

loogy

I don't care how traditional a spider web grill insert is, they still look silly.

I'd go with a perforated mesh insert. Something like your Pa had in it originally.

Attached Files:

10. Automotive Stud

Automotive Stud

I agree! you've come so far to make the car like it was. Putting in a hokey grill like that would totally ruin it. If you can't find a stock type one, make one that looks stock.

The only other thing I can picture would be a piece of polished metal with large holes drilled throughout, but that would have more of a '60's competition look.

11. vintagesurvivor

vintagesurvivor
    from detroit

It's just a truck grille. Here is the whole car. '59 Survivor.
    I was just saying that a chopped grille insert for a chopped 33-34 truck grille would be hard to find.
    Originally, he used a piece of square fence (!), but I don't care for that.
    I like the web, it's traditional. but I also like a plain old vertical grille.

I like the idea of using perf metal. Is there a good supply place online for that sort of thing?

Mark

Attached Files:

12. vintagesurvivor

vintagesurvivor
    from detroit

And here is the '62 pic, with the fence....

Attached Files:

13. beatnik

beatnik

How about expanded metal and horizontal bars ala the "Twister T". It was built around the same time frame.

Attached Files:

14. Blair

Blair
    from xx

Truck grills don't have inserts. The shell and insert are one piece, I have a cherry 33-34 truck shell that I am using on my A that I got for $75. That is a pretty good deal, but you can definetely find one for a reasonable price. That or if you don't absolutely have to have a truck shell then look for an original chopped 32 shell. I have seen them cheaper than full size originals. I know you probably want to keep it how it was originally built.

15. 3034

I used barbed wire in mine.

16. overspray

overspray

The "Glowing Coupe" originally built by the Sandberg brothers in 1961-62, rebuilt in the mid 90's.
    Spider webs ARE traditional.

Attached Files:

17. ka-zoo

ka-zoo

ooh ooh! i vote for this option!
    the color is almost dead on too. wierd.

18. mikaelmtb

mikaelmtb
    from Denmark

And now something completely insane... :rolleyes:

Attached Files:

19. Automotive Stud

Automotive Stud

I think I'd lean tward loogie's perforated mesh insert.

20. mikaelmtb

mikaelmtb
    from Denmark

Or this?

Attached Files:

21. mikaelmtb

mikaelmtb
    from Denmark

Or like this? (The figure is from www.redrum.com , I just rendered it)

Attached Files:

22. The horizontal w/expanded metal looks good. Vertical bars are always cool. Spider webs have been done to death. How about a spiral or a lace pattern? How about incorporating a flying eyeball (ala Hitchhiker's Guide) into the grill? Lots of people do a death motif with skulls and the like so how about life's other certainty; taxes. A big IRS with a bunch of smaller dollar signs. Think outside the box er shell.

23. Evel

Evel
    1. 60s Show Rods

I think you should do what ever your Dad did...That's what Survivors are all
    about...Sure theres some goofy stuff on alot of these 60's cars but..keeping
    it preserved is what its all about....PLEASE No Iron Cross Spiderwebs crown fancy designs!!!thats
    pretty much GAY and it will totaly RUIN the look of that car.
    If you want to do somthing diffrent..at least get somthing thats close to what it looked like ...at least from a far...

I do agree with what Loogy and Beatnik were saying..thats atleast kepping it period perfect.

evel

24. rattlecanrods

rattlecanrods

I agree with Evel.... Go with the theme your Dad was after (just without the license plate) by running expanded metal or formed mesh.

If it wasn't a survivor I would go with slightly peaked, ovalized aluminum tubing (aircraft wing strut) set horizantally and polished. or go with something similar to the picture Gus provided.

good luck

25. spicoli

spicoli
    BANNED
    from in a house

that must look cool cause its unique

26. haring

haring

I love your car, and read your first post about it with excitement. There aren't too many chances to own a surviving hot rod, and it's especially important because your dad built it.

I do think it's OK to change some small details AS LONG AS THEY ARE CONTRIBUTE TO THE CAR, and are done in the same spirit and styling as the original.

To this end, I think you can improve upon that nose, and the suggestions for a horizontal insert were good one. This was popular in the late 50s - early 60s. Metal and plastic tubing, combined with a mesh insert gives you plenty of options.

I took the liberty of moving the grille shell back to cover that radiator. I think it would be worth the effort to modify the radiator to make it fit within the shell better, and that will improve the car without dishonoring the original build.

In my rendering, the tubing would be stainless or chrome, or on a budget, painted white. the tubes run horizontal and form a slight peak down the center of the field.

Here's your pop's car as it could look. People will love it. :D

[​IMG]

27. Evel

Evel
    1. 60s Show Rods

Ya that rules!

28. vintagesurvivor

vintagesurvivor
    from detroit

I really don't fancy having to redo the whole radiator, but I DO like the horizontal look of the grilles. Horizontal lines tend to make thing slook lower and more squat. It is chanelled quite a bit, and I believe the old man, had he had the $, would have made a nice grille.

I DO like spiderwebs :) maybe just not on this one ;)

If theres a web based resourse for perf'ed metal, I'd like to see it.....

I like the ideas guys! Thanks...

That is CREEPY how the color almost matches that other car!

Mark

29. nobuckets

nobuckets
    from austin, tx

Try http://www.mcnichols.com/for the perf. They have a pretty good selection and their lead times aren't too bad. We have only used them for stainless, but I think they do galv. and aluminum too.

30. vintagesurvivor

vintagesurvivor
    from detroit

Thanks, I'll look them over!

Mark