Register now to get rid of these ads!

Desert valley auto parts.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 226 flattie, Jan 30, 2013.

1. 226 flattie

226 flattie
    from orange,ca

Is it worth the drive to casa grande Arizona from Orange County California to visit dvap . A bunch of my buddies were thinking of a guys road trip for a day and this was one place on the list to go to. Anyone been there or purchased parts from there?

2. Those guys are big on Pontiac parts. I've bought some from them years ago. Nice stuff, no problems!

3. 226 flattie

226 flattie
    from orange,ca

Our little group from the steam crew at knotts berry farm has a 2 shoeboxes, 51 Chevy styleline, 70 el camino, is it a walk the yard and find a guy for help or counter guys that don't know , and have to get help.

4. NEWFISHER

NEWFISHER
    from Oregon

I would call them and ask for a parts manager. Let them know you and or/club is comming and if they offer tours etc. Setting this up ahead of time will reduce downfalls later.

5. ems customer service

ems customer service

There is a rather long thread in the 52-59 ford social group covering this issue

6. They have a big yard here in phoenix and then you can hit all the hot rod shops around phoenix like,

Industrial chassis
    so cal
    vintage auto repair
    all ways hot rods
    deans hot rods.

7. Model A John

Model A John
    from wichita ks

I've been to both DVAP yards. They let you walk around and look at all the cool old cars being parted out. You could spend hours at each yard.

8. ewob53

ewob53
    from Minnesota

I walked it last April while I was down in Phoenix picking up a OT 66 biscayne. I swung down there to try to find some parts for the Cadillac. The cars are pretty well stripped before they hit the yard, but if you find something they will pull it for you. They have all the parts inventoried and available. Sounded like they sell most of their stuff online.

I enjoyed the day...:)

9. aerocolor

aerocolor
    from dayton

The old stuff is supposedly in Casa Grande. We visited the Phoenix yard and not much older than 1950 was present. That was in 2010 so maybe something changed.
    And yes, most of the cars are fairly well stripped but there are racks of doors, hoods and fenders to wade thru. Also some builders are lined up as you go in.

10. I visited a few years ago after GG's and bought a hood for my 62 Biscayne. I enjoyed the tour. There was a ton of older Mopar stuff.

11. I wouldn't bother making a trip just to see it personally. I visited the first year I came down, and was left unimpressed. It definitely isn't an all day sort of deal, unless you went around visiting all the yards. In my opinion the guys are stepping over dollars to pick up dimes. I watched them set a four door 64 Biscayne on the roof of a pretty damn rust free and straight 62 2 door hardtop Impala SS, and you can see examples of that all over their yard. Like others said, go visit the shops in town. If you do that DVAP will be just a minor foot note from the trip.

12. MoparJoel

MoparJoel

I agree with bodi The "north yard" which is 59 i believe and newer is huge plenty of stuff there that one i would say would be worth it but they are really pricey, but the "south yard" 59 and older was very small i don't think it was much bigger than some of my friends houses a few acres, a few old cars and trucks spread out, most have been pretty picked through I live in phoenix and would not waste my gas going there again.

13. ^Dead on the nuts. I'd really need something vital to go back.

14. 226 flattie

226 flattie
    from orange,ca

Thanks for the information guys , us narrow gauge train guys have to visit 2 different train shops in Phoenix , before car stuff. Here in California ther not any yards anymore

15. Fenders

Fenders

Wife and I had a nice day trip to N Phoenix some years ago (from Tempe) but pretty much what Bodi said......

http://lakeboon.com/dvap.htm

16. If you're gonna be in Phoenix anyways, I'd hit both yards. The Casa Grande yard is about an hours drive south of Phoenix. As you mentioned..the old car salvage yards are getting scarce. I saw alot of cars there that would be considered project cars in most other parts of the country. I wouldn't drive out from California for it, but if you're gonna be that close anyways...

17. 392HEMI4SPEED

392HEMI4SPEED
    from Wisconsin

I made the trip to both yards when I was in the area couple years ago now it seems. I did not have a lot of time to spend at each one, but I did find a few parts I wanted/needed at the south yard. If your at the south yard, you could ask for Red Beard. He grew up in Wisconsin, so we had a nice time chatting about the town he once lived in, that I get through often.

There was no haggling over price on anything. I thought the prices were reasonable for what I was getting, what the yard guys had to do to get me the parts (torch it or pull it), part rarity and shipping (since I was not hauling home a roof section in my suitcase).

$125.00 for an original FOMOCO AM/FM Stereo out of a 69 Torino Fastback that had just arrived at the yard...pulled price..... I thought that was a super deal to be honest.

The only complaint I had is I did not have enough time to spend at each yard (kids wanted to go other places/do other things and it was HOT....LOL).

[​IMG]

18. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

Man, if you are going to Casa Grande, and if anybody in your group is into '47-'54 Chevy trucks in particular you owe it to yourself to stop in at Patricks Antique Auto Parts. He has the most early Chevy trucks I have ever seen in one place and he's the one repopping al the cool old six parts.

19. The Desert Valley yard in Casa Grande used to be Wisemans. The owner, Ronnie Wiseman was killed in a car wreck about 10 years back and the family auctioned the yard off. I myself bought 17 Pontiacs that day to add to my own collection. Desert valley bought the remainder and then bought the land and permits and have operated since.
    So, besides the 2 listed yards, there is also Hidden Valley auto in Maircopa.

One of my 2 yards is also in the Maricopa area and I have about 400 Pontiacs 55-81 and some Olds and Buicks. I am not a business with regular hours but, am avail for appointments at times. Here is my place

[​IMG]

If you would like to stop by to say 'hello', please do. There are also places to grab lunch in town including a cheap KFC buffet that I frequent.

Steve
    480-899-7873
    www.pontiacheaven.org

20. 226 flattie

226 flattie
    from orange,ca

Thank Steve! We'll let you know when we come to town....as for lunch we may pass on KFC since we have all that knotts greasey chicken farm chicken.

Everyone thanks for the heads up ... One of our guys has a 235 Chevy 6 so Patrick s in a must. Thanks gain

Nick

21. socalmerc

socalmerc
    from socal

what they said