Register now to get rid of these ads!

Desert Car Kings TV series on Discovery Channel

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by NumbNutz, Dec 16, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. belair

belair

At least the T-Bird auction wasn't like B-J. Brought a dose of reality to the value of an old car.

2. 76cam

76cam

Yea overall bad.Just cant belive that a guy with a charger in that shape would buy a brake booster for that car from there.The car was way to nice for a old part like that.O O O Oriley's .........

3. Rocky Famoso

Rocky Famoso
    BANNED

Typical TV car show, they never get it right. Hopefully this constructive criticism will be read by the producers and writers of this show, cause it does have potential.

4. CutawayAl

CutawayAl
    from MI

I watched pieces of the show. My impression was the same as the above quotes.

The word restoration is often used in place of refurbish, fix-up, or repaint. That's what is happening here.

True gearheads will see this show for what it is, but the general public might see it differently. Many of the current(and successful) reality TV reality shows are partially or completely fabricated, but people watch them anyway.

5. Jimm56

Jimm56

More like "Desert Valley Bondo Kings!" Maybe the buyer of the T-Bird will actually restore it somewhere down the line.

6. tanof

tanof
    from New Mexico

Did they do anything to the frame or engine of the car other than make it look pretty? I would be afraid to pay 5o or 6 grand for a car without looking underneath.

As others have mentioned - car fixin part okay, the fake drama between dad and son and the "deadline" is crap.

7. CutawayAl

CutawayAl
    from MI

The looming deadline is a common element in all the reality car shows.

8. oldcarfart

oldcarfart

it turned out to be anouther BS soap opera.

9. oldcarfart

oldcarfart

and the defineation of restored sure has taken a beating in the last few years.

10. low budget

low budget
    from Central Ky

He said he couldnt find one for it anywhere and then tried to negotiate the price. It may be diffrent out west but around here if you go to a yard that is a buisness and they tell you a price,You take it or leave it,You dont insult the guy by offering less.
    I know of one in paticular that will tell you to get lost and the part wont be for sale at any price,they are not there to beg people to buy something.

Some people think the guys down at the salvage yard are just a bunch of good ole boys waiting to play the game of negotiation, that crap of coming down 5 bucks on the show, will encourage that notion to some:rolleyes:

11. oldcarfart

oldcarfart

and like the fellow with the charger was gonna put that POS booster on his car.

12. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

if you do not have cable TV you don't have to put up with this kind of crap.

13. 76cam

76cam

Yea same around here. I just thougt it was odd that a nice car of that caliber would buy a old part i guess no internet out there lol.......But yea no way you get to name youre price at any junk yard i know...:)

14. aaggie

aaggie

I saw it last night, they were restoring a 1965 Thunderbird. They built it to sell at their auction and lost about $1K on the project.

I see their ad in Classic Car Trader and called about needing a trunk lid for my '40 Chevy project. They returned my phone call even though they didn't have the part. From the pictures on TV they have a large operation.

15. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

Sucked! I can't wait until I see what they do with us after making us stand around a wrecking yard for four hours in black T-shirts on a 100 - 105 degree day! I still swear we were supposed to be the adoring throngs assembled the see they're latest masterpiece! Obviously, L.A. show biz hippster doofeses don't know that you don't just dress in black in an Arizona summer....
    Yes, I have dealt with D.V.A.P. on several occasions - great group of guys doing the day to day yard stuff. But there isn't any way in hell you are getting a brake booster for 45.00 out of there, and negotiation isn't happening either!
    On a happy note though - Elpolacko's old shop truck at one time was much bigger, angryer, and uglier than their yard truck...

16. metalshapes

metalshapes

Yeah, I have the ability,

But not the desire...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.