Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Derusting New Idea - make your own gel, this will blow your mind.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by indyjps, Jun 26, 2020.

1. winduptoy

winduptoy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

You got me at Ice Cream...it's traditional to drive the hot rod to Richardson's Root Beer stand and have a root beer float...that takes ice cream...
    All while you are waiting for the salad dressing to do its work

indyjps likes this.
  2. Man! Thanks for doing all this experimentation and sharing your secrets with us. Hopefully you hit on the MAJIC rust elixir!

klleetrucking and indyjps like this.
  3. Kan Kustom

Kan Kustom

4. indyjps

indyjps

24 hour results
    Green Goop did stay wet for 24 hours.
    Had some derusting action, but not great results.
    20201007_191848.jpg
    20201007_191931.jpg

Tonight im going to baseline.
    Brush on straight phosphoric acid concrete prep, wet it once an hour or as often as I can over the next 24 hours. See if the results are better, see if the "mix" is effecting results.

One limiting factor, the frame is 2006 silverado, GM applied a chassis wax, that could be keeping the acid from working - even though its mostly gone

Ive tried a lot of products to try to dissolve the remaining wax, cant find anything that cuts it, without also including scraping, grinding or some mechanical action. Whatever I put on it just allows it to smear. I looked up the specs and manufacturer on it and its just a scratch above asphalt sealer. I remember how nasty and smeary it was when I worked at GM assembly plant.

Budget36 likes this.
  5. Tetanus

Tetanus

Try adding water thickener it's for old farts that can't swallow liquids it's a powder you mix

Sent from my moto e5 play using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

AVater likes this.
  6. indyjps

indyjps

Interesting. Have you tried it in a highly acidic solution? Many normal food additive thickeners go dead in acidic.

7. indyjps

indyjps

Baseline: straight phosphoric, straight muratic brushed on frame over 36 hours.
    I applied 9 times over 36 hours to silverado frame, basically zero derusting action.

I need to find a new test piece for the acid xanthan gum combo.
    Earlier test on rusted bracket worked well with just oxalic or citric acid and xanthan, going to a stronger acid should give better results.

I think the chassis wax applied to the frame is preventing anything from cuting into the rust. Even though the chassis wax is mostly gone- visibly, straight acid should be showing some level of derusting. I dont have much rusty stuff laying around right now.

This sucks, because the frame on my silverado is what I want to use it on.

slv63, brEad and winduptoy like this.
  8. indyjps

indyjps

Baseline results:

- Phosphoric acid and muriatic acid in different places on the silverado frame, no additives.
    - Applied 9 times over 36 hours.
    - Basically zero derusting results.

Whatever the frame wax is on these trucks, I think its preventing the acid from working.

I need a different sample piece to test straight acid VS acid with xanthan gum.

9. Budget36

Budget36

Probably getting cold in Chi-town any update?