Register now to get rid of these ads!

Derek's 1950 ford coupe shoebox build and introduction

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by El Batidor del mono, May 5, 2011.

1. we roughly clamped the a pillars up and proped up the roof to have a look at its size and stance, but obviously the a pillars didnt line u anymore, they require releif cuts around the top and bottom of each a pillar to push the bottoms in and the tops out, i had to unscrew the dash and lay it forward so we could make our releif cuts Ahron and texas marked them out and then ahron did the cuts and i got last bits done with the air hacksaw, while we did that tex marked out the relief cuts on the top of the roof siting on the panel stand and cut the measured amount off the bottom of the b pillars which we worked out aloud for a rake going down from the front to the back, he also aloud 5mm so if it wasnt enough we could still take that much out.
    once Ahron and me had them cut he used a bit of light persuasion in the form of a block of wood and a big ass hammer, to move the bottom of the a pillars in and close up the gap, which worked a treat, when making the relief cuts you have to mark your cut mak it, then cut it a few more times to open it up a fe mill till you get what looks to be the desired amount, we then sat the roof back on to see how they lined up.

Attached Files:

2. alright so all the grinding, cutting, hammering and music got to the neighbour a bit, i had just got myself a fresh beer and hotdog off the top of the fire whe he banged on the door and to say the least he was not impressed, we had been having to much fun on a sat night and the time got away from us, so at 1.30am we couldnt make anymore noise, i guess i can appreciate that but what a soook he was ha ha.
    we then discussed tomorrows work for another hour or so then went inside and continued to talk shit about ugly cars and shit engine conversions, 330 was bed time, not a bad bit of work for around 4 to 5 hours by the time Ahron got there and we started measuring.

3. we woke up sunday morning less the fresh to say the least but we didnt drink much beer at all we were too busy working so we werent hung over but we were a bit shabby, all dirty faced and tired, nothing a coffe and some toast wouldnt fix, me and Ahron went straight backout and drank our coffee while we looked at it and made sure we were both happy with how the front look height wise, it looked cool as the next morning and we were really keen to get stuck into it again, shortly after Tex rolled up looking rough as, beard all shabby and dirty glasses from the night before, he walks in and goes "oh you fuckers have got coffee." so i made him one and by the time i got back out to the shed with round two of the coffee Tex and Ahron had the porter power out and had made the last relief cut in the roof we could complete last night cause ol mate next door cracked the shits.
    the screen was starting to line up nice, you dont want the posts to make a W, so pushing and pulling and tappin till the lined up nice then Ahron tacked them
    on one side in place and tex did the same on the other while we all juggled the porter power and made sure it didnt move, a nice measure up and some moving around to make sure the window was squared and the front was tacked in for now, later we will put the porter power on the peak in the centre of the screen to give that a bit more uplight and open the screen up a bit more cause it moves a bit when moving the posts out, not much though, its really important at that stage to measure everything so its not leaning one way or the pther and get the centre in the center for the split screen.

Attached Files:

4. Aushotrods

Aushotrods

5. with the front tacke inplace were we want it to sit we moved into cuttin a bit around the rear screen so we can move it and lean it over, ahron and tex discussed and made there tape marks were we wanted to make cuts so it would lean, then we all made our cuts, i then had to get in and cut the backets on the side and the two in the middle for the parcel shelf so it would move with the rear screen, once they were all free we just pushed untill it sat down were we thought looked good for now, the rear section behind the screen will some more releif cuts and heating and shrinking aswell as tapping up before it will be finished but thats alot later, once we got the screen sitting roughly were we desired it to be we put the porter power under the roof were it was cut across the top of the rear screen so we could roll it outside and have a look at its profile anf figure out were the rear screen needed to move, when we first pushed it outside it was a bit fast backy, so ahron simply pumped it up a little with the porter power untill we felt it had a nice shape and curve to the roof, we then discussed some more and looked at it from all different angles to make sure we were all in agrrement it was what we wanted it too look like, we even peiced some 2 inch tape in were the window frames will go back and roughly sat that rear panel we removed earlier for the qaurter window back in so we could see it properly, having no engine in it makes it harder to get and idea of how it will look cause its up so high in the front but you get the idea, our mate Sean Hammond of the cabaleros came dwn to hang out and shout some inspiring words, aswell as take some awesome pics for us which i will post at the end, fucking good bloke and top car pic guy, his username is austhotrods i think on here, can take a pic indeed. thanks Sean.

Attached Files:

6. ha ha ha, you want me to shammy it with my sham-wow but the bare metak might get rusty ha ha.

7. Deu55

Deu55

Wow that chop is looking great and you guys are speeding along ...Rod.

8. heres a few pics outside so you can get an idea of the look. just try imagine the car sitting a shitload lower

Attached Files:

9. rod good time being had mate, were not going to quick but quick enough ha ha, good mates and a great club, gotta love it

10. Deu55

Deu55

Your livin the dream mate looks even better outside nice profile happinin...

11. a few more

Attached Files:

12. thanks mate keep watchin still uploading more, and sean pics are insane,

13. just a couple

Attached Files:

14. awesome work, I'll be there with a hammer for the next bout!

15. we then rolled it back inside when we were happy with the rear window lean and shape and flow of the roof and put a peice of sheet metal across the gap and screwed it in place to hold it, i had made the pie cuts in the b pillars and leaned them to were we wanted them, tex squared em up tacked them top and bottom in place, the bottom will need to be cut and the corner peices fitted in but thats later on, we then just stood around and looked at it a heap, it was sunday arvo and we were all pretty stuffed and guys came round for a look so we all had a chat for an hour or two and discussed further modifications and paint coulors and all that shit, thats what we got done, i think pretty damn good for 3 25, 25, and 24 year olds, this is how it should be, mates havin fun working on cars, no dramas, tex and ahron really are two switched on guys who helped me out alot this weekend and cant wait to get stuck into it more when we can have another weekend, not sure what there plans are yet but i know there both really keen to get into it again. so we will see how much we get done next time hopefuly a little bit more this weekend, thanks heaps guys i owe you big time, im your bitch when its time, they really did kill it and thanks for my mates Jophy and Sean for hangin out taking pics for me, there really cool. good weekend over all, really hapy with how its turning out, it looks alot cut up at the moment but before you know it it will be finished and ill have to start doin all the other stuff like glass and garnish moulds and shit.
    hope i explained as best i could so far, keep watching,

Attached Files:

16. damn straight, heaps of hammer swinging all over the place fordo

17. kiwiandy

kiwiandy

Hey man, that spinner is looking sweet! I like what you are doing with the chop by keeping the size of the rear quarter windows. Keen to see a diect side shot to suss the profile. I got a 50 coupe off ebay about 5 years back but my deal wasn't so sweet. Mine turned up alot worse for wear and nothing like the "rust free" pics. Anyway... great to watch the progress on yours! You and your mates are doing a great job. Cheers.
    Andy. (Auckland).

18. Sean Hammonds awesome photography..............

Attached Files:

19. he flippin nailed those pics, thanks again Sean, come back anytime and hangout for a beer and take pictures
    cheers
    spinner drag 2011,
    who-me and you son
    were-chopped rod and custom show
    when-when ever your ready
    winner-anyone in a spinner
    ha ha

20. thanks mate, yeah its hard not knowing what your getting really just off pics, but sometimes you just gotta do it and hope for the best.
    cheers

21. Nice job guy's, looks to be working out a treat, and very well thought out. Lucky Shaun turned up cause you lot are ugly. But the car, that's real pretty shit.

More next weekend please guy's

Mark Shearer

22. 63Compact

63Compact

Sean's so dreamy! Good job so far on the spinner.

23. ha ha ha, yeah so true the ugly ass Eldorados cutting shit up, at least we can get the girls cruising round in a chopped spinner one day, thanks mate
    cheers

24. thanks mate, cheers, sean is dreamy huh, ha ha ha.
    can flippin shoot a pic though,

25. Excellant work boys . Talk the shit out of something before you put a saw to anything . It obviously pays in the end . I like the idea of cutting the A pillar skin off so you can weld the inner structure easier . My Buick will get chopped in the future as well . Great progress pics. Didn't know you Aussies were so pumped for North American tin .

26. Us Aussies love north American tin. I myself love north America ha ha.
    Deffinatley the way to go onthe a pillars in my opinion. Alot stronger in the end I feel. Thanks mate.
    DES

27. If anyone wants to give me a Hand with the rope seals on the flatty it woul be much appreciated, I kno ho to do them but just want to male sure i'm not doin it wrong or been given the wrong info. Any help would be much appreciated.

28. I will be around this weekend, i will drop around sometime.
    looking really good mate.
    Kyle

29. Bwahahahahahahaa! Seems he only likes one end of the camera though...

Looking good and a chop like no other it would seem. Bring on next weekend for more pics I say.