Register now to get rid of these ads!

Derek's 1950 ford coupe shoebox build and introduction

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by El Batidor del mono, May 5, 2011.

1. ha ha ha thats an awesome plate.

2. been busy this week in the shed everynight with chicken, gettin a bit done,
    the pics show it, but, picked up tyres, picked up all the sandblasted stuff, wheels and what not, got all 3 carbs polished and rebuilt, have smaller jets on the way, timing case cover polished and back on, new seals, dizzy polished, door frames all tackd up and tweaked, fully welded the a pillars and grinded back welds ready for lead, re-assemlbed front clip.
    also, did some measurements, went to the wreckers and got xe falcon springs to go in it, fit nice, drop spindles turned up ill see how it sits forst back on the ground, put in other b pillar corner peice, ahron came round and tapped up my fuel filler panel and finished that with the body file, looks micky mouse, alot of shit happening lately, long nights, check out the pics, still waiting on gearbox parts in the mail to put that back together to put engine back in a make a start, bought fuel pump and reg, fuel block, red fuel hose, chrome nuts coer set for heads and intake, everything i need i pretty much have i just cant buy time, goin to organise the front screen tomorrow, get that fitted then take it out till a couple days before chopped.
    primed, sanded and gloss 2pac blacked the rims, they came up nice, tyres fitted tomorrow and back on its wheels so we'll see how we go.
    cheers
    des

3. Deu55

Deu55

Des any new pics your making good process ...Rod.

Sent from my iPhone using TJJ

4. pics, internet was being stupid, good news though, wheels and tyres back on, gearbox out back together the other night with a bit of stuffing around and some help from the good ol chicken man we had it backtogether orking all sealed up and now in primer, ripped a sick dayt today cause i wante to stay home and get the gearbox painted this morning and sit in the sun all day and bolt it uo to my flatty to out in the car, will post more pics shortly im a bit behind on the pics.

Attached Files:

5. more pics

Attached Files:

6. msalamanca

msalamanca

Looking good man, after you guys are you and Chicken are done, come visit me and help me out. Working on it alone is getting old haha

7. lowsquire

lowsquire
    from Austin, TX

Dude have you lubed that bearing in the gearbox photo with nozzle dip? GHETTO!!

8. ha ha ha, desperate times kyle, we only used a bit to hold the bearings inplace so they dont fall out while putting the gearbox back together, the gear oil will geti rid of all that ha ha, its only a grease type compound, i was aondering if anyone would pick up that, did the trick ha ha.

9. sorry mate not kyle, got confused then, ha ha ha

10. mate pay for the plane tickets to cali and were there, easy.

11. HeyyCharger

HeyyCharger

Awesome progress mate!!

Really nutting it out... Love watching you progress through the build.

Funny how this was meant to be a quick freshen up but has turned into a full makeover... Always the same story hu??

Good luck, keep us posted !!

HC.

12. Looking awesome....go for it.....see it at CHopped!

13. Ha ha yeah u said it. I got a bit carried away but it's way cooler like this.
    Cheers mate
    DES

14. Oh mate I'm goin for it don't worry about thT. Dropped the engine and box in last night andstarted hooking shit up. Gearbox linkages, clutch linkage, tail shaft, handbrake. I think I'll be drivin around chopped no worries.
    Can't fuckin wait.
    DES

15. zep058

zep058

Can't wait either for chopped and looking forward to seeing this in person. I will see you there and buy you and chicken a beer. Great work!

16. Ha ha ha thanks mate. Don't forget tex and Ahron. Don't get to keen it's just a bare metal half primered spinner ha ha. But I love it. I'll have a beer with ya. I'll have 17 with ya.
    Cheers mate.
    Seeya at chopped

17. Looking good, might even get me outta the shop and off for a drive in a few weeks for a look in person.

Since your progressed so far and Chopped is such a long way off tell Arhon
    "Rear wheel arch drop"

Looking like the factory should of done if they were cool.

Mark Shearer

18. ha ha ha, i know im killing it lately gettin heaps done, ahrons coming over tomorrow arvo to tap up the roof while i weld the door window frames fully, i think i might even be cruising it for a week before chopped at this rate, u better come down to chopped for a look or your very welcome to drop in to my joint before then for a beer with us and look one day, man if e had time wheel arch drop would be awesome, i think that will be after chopped though, still got plenty to do, the wheel arch drop will deffinately happen, has to, tuck more rim and look alot nicer.
    \cheers
    des

19. just a quick little update before i hit the cot for the night, nothig big, only the engine in ha ha ha,
    this made me happy to see it all done with a freshly sprayed gearbox.
    pics show it all, but i pulled chicken away from the olds the other night to give me hand to guide that baby in,
    engine and box in with my new clutch and re done pressure plate,
    all shifter linkages hooked up, clutch linkage hooked up. all mounted in, tail shaft back in, hand brake cable hooked up, now it gets exciting cause she aint far off running, just waiting on the right size jets for my 97's which should be monday, hook up the exhasut tomorrow, gotta weld flanges on the headers and the exhasut and paint it all up. started the drop spindles tonight, just gotta get some grease in the morning, the extremely easy and come with instructions from fatman but i took some pics to show how to do it step by step in case theres any guys out there reading this and want a bit on info on doing them, ill have em back in and back on the firestones before lunch, this weekend should be rediculously good for progress,
    glass fitted this tuesday, and my good buddy from the club paul librio is coming over tuesday night to measure up and cut the front stainless, seeing as hes a master on the tig welding he can do it and ill do all the filing and polishing so that should be done for chopped to, lucky i have some talented mates when it gets too much for me.
    cheers all, have a great weekend and check this space sunday night.
    des

Attached Files:

20. a couple more

Attached Files:

21. i started this thread on the 6-5-11 one week after i got the car,
    today is 9-9-11
    so does that mean ive only had the car 4 months, that cant be right??????????
    wow

22. Big Nick

Big Nick

23. 4 months ago, this is wierd to look at now ha ha, im gunna take another one of these at chopped exactly the same and then it will be 5 months and will be finished up to that stage but not finished then it will get its second go over.

Attached Files:

24. The car is looking awesome and all that work done in only 4 months.
    It's amazing what can be achieved with a few mates and a dead line to work too.
    Man I wish I was going to Chopped this year so I could check it out, it'll be the first one I've missed too.

25. Derek,
    The 50 is looking badass buddy. Flathead color is on the money also!!
    Well done.

J168

26. Four months, wow indeed! My progress in 4 months has been a joke in comparison -wish I had your drive and some friends like yours! My favorite part has been (well favorite bit apart from the kick ass car) is how its sort of come about unplanned,..might give it a polish, then might take it back to blue, then might chop it, then full rebuild,..awesome work. Thanks

27. billylo

billylo

Nice detail on the motor..

28. just a few pics,
    got the drop spindles finished, the steering arms on both side the bolt holes didnt line up to the backing plate so had to file them out a bit but all in all a great kit.
    rolled the car out sat morning once i had finished them to have a good look at it cause it hasnt been outside for a while and its hard to see it fully, but very happy with the profile of the car, it look even milder outside but still i think its nice at that height it was what we were always going for.
    got the door handles peices tacked in, both door window frames fully welded,
    inside and out, got the b pillars welded up, put the last little gutter peices in the roof and welded up some final holes, pushed the roof and qaurter windows round quite a bit with the port o power till ahron was happy with the flow and even on both sides, alot of fiddly shit like that to make both sides right, and look nice, so now the roof is all fully welded up and ahron and tex finished the shrinks in the rear panel bewtween the bootlid and the rear screen so it flows nice off the boot lid and doesnt hae a budge in it,
    i got some work done on the engine area in between when ahron was here on the roof anf not, i got the wiring all cleaned u and retapped it all, put the correct sixe jets in my carbies so they should run nice, welded a flnge on to the headers and bolted them uo so there ready to have the exhaust hooked up which ill do the week, shocks back in, brakes hooked up and fluid in them, paint stripped my radiator ready for primer tomorrow night, and alot of other little shit, got a fair bit closer, but not long till chopped so i gotta step it up a notch.

Attached Files:

29. Jack Luther

Jack Luther

I finally got around to reading and viewing this entire thread. Thanks for all the updates and photos. Very nice job, and in record time (are you related to Jim Sibley?). I always get nervous when someone is chopping a shoebox coupe, as it is apparently quite difficult to make them look right. Most of the chopped coupes I have seen are not pleasing to my eye, but you and your pals have really done some fine work. Keep plugging, and keep posting.