Register now to get rid of these ads!

Derailed AV8?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by greasemunkee, Feb 24, 2011.

1. greasemunkee

greasemunkee
    from San Diego

Here's the deal. I've been collecting parts for an AV8 build since I got my 29 Roadster in APR 2010. I've pretty much gotten everything I need, except for the transmission cross member (k-member). I've recently fallen in to a 312 Merc Y block, and now I'm reconsidering. Do I go with the unproven, pieced together 239 Flattie out of a 46 Ford which I've never heard run, or with the 312 Y-block (complete with tranny) that I know for a fact runs like a champ. The flattie came out of a car that was in the San Diego fires a couple of years ago, but seems to be in pretty good shape. The y-block came out of my cousin's car. Traditional is the way I wanted to go, but to me, both seem like they fit the bill. I've always wanted to build a flattie powered car, but on a military salary, the y-block is looking a little better. What do you guys think?

2. 29AVEE8

29AVEE8

I am a flathead guy, especially a 59A, But if you have ever heard a Y-Block at 6grand.... well it is special. Either will be good but if you use the Y you will need to move the front crossmember forward, or recess the firewall for clearance.

3. 29ToyA

29ToyA

Y-block!

You just don't see that many in A's. My 2 cents.

4. Will Kimble

Will Kimble

I have a flattie in my car but was dreaming of Y-blocks last night...

5. TexasHardcore

TexasHardcore
    from Austin-ish

Y-Block!
    Y-Block!
    Y-Block!
    Y-Block!

6. DocWatson

DocWatson
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I would go Y-Block, then put as much away as I could and build a flattie in the future.
    Your not wrong, building a car on a Military wage isn't easy!!

Doc.

7. Ole don

Ole don

A good Y block has a cool factor of 10.

8. R Pope

R Pope

Use the Y and save the flattie for the next project. Nothing sounds like a Y block Ford! But then, nothing sounds like a flatmotor, either.
    Everybody should have that kind of problem.

9. 35desoto

35desoto

Y block - Now thats cool and different and well just COOL - Heaps of flattie's out there - not too many Yblocks - Dare to be different.

10. See my post on the why projects never get finished thread.

I'm not a flatty guy so to ask me if the Y block is a better choice isn't a good idea.

better flexible and done that rigid and parked any day.

11. greasemunkee

greasemunkee
    from San Diego

Thanks for chiming in guys. Does anyone have pics of any A's with a Y block in them? 29AVEE8, how much would the firewall have to be recessed? I had to use an aftermarket firewall with a 3" recess when I put the SBC in my coupe. Am I looking at the same thing? Kinda wanted to keep as much of the original steel as I could.

12. R Pope

R Pope

You can reverse the firewall and gain a few inches. Then there's always the wheelbarrow trick!

13. Outback

Outback
    from NE Vic

If ya on a budget, go the Y block, either engine is a cool thing,
    suppose you want to stick the flatty in there later, hey how hard
    is it to stick a stock firewall back in it?

14. SanDiegoJoe

SanDiegoJoe

I've seen some of the engines that came out of those fires.

Do the Y-Block man.

15. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

16. A y-block at 6 grand is a grenade with the pin pulled, especially a Y that isn't worked over.

Personally, I think it just depends on what you're going for. If you're looking for a super early style hotrod, then an overhead engine like a Y isn't gonna fit the bill, but if you're shooting for a mid-50's style car, then heck yeah go Y-block!

Y-blocks dress up very well too!

17. choptvan

choptvan

do the Y! As you stated, it would look cool either way and still fit the traditional bill.

18. greasemunkee

greasemunkee
    from San Diego

Just thought of something else, will my '40 banjo hold up with the 312? Obviously not if I dump the clutch regularly, but going from the flattie to the y-block is a serious jump, right?

19. [​IMG]

Thats a picture of a rolling bones car that should be pretty much a look into the future.

EDIT: with the banjo, it should hold up? We were gonna use a 312 infront of a 39 box with a 40 rear, but the project stalled. They did it "back in the day"

Obviously, it won't stand up to a lot of abuse, or much abuse really, but it isn't exactly super fragile either.

IMO, I'd look for an early 9 inch, or something that will be just as traditional, but that's up to you. Banjo's look neat.

20. Tank

Tank

I have a flatty in my car, and a friend has a Y-Block in his.... I love my flatty, but on the highway, just cant beat the Y-Block!

21. I think you should go with the YBlock and send the flattie up here.........

22. gas pumper

gas pumper

Tall skinny bias plys? That will protect the drivetrain by spinning when the torque limit is exceeded.

The 4.11 banjo in my T stands up to 13.5 quarters.

go OHV, especuially if a lot of miles are planned and that engine is proven. The flattie could be a can of worms.

23. 55chevr

55chevr

I had a 55 Ford 2 Door Sedan that had a 272 with 3 speed on the column in 1963 ... car was strong ... but alas I heard the call of the Chevrolet and never returned.

24. greasemunkee

greasemunkee
    from San Diego

Well, after all this I'm going to have to go with the flattie. Just got some news that's going to require the sale of one of the two, and I've decided to keep the 59AB. Not that it's a bad thing. Just can't afford to start all over with a new drive train, so the 312 may be in the classified section soon. Thanks again to all for your inputs.

25. lrs30

lrs30
    from Kentucky

I have thought many times about pulling out my Y out of my 64 F-100 and putting it in my 31, and sticking my stupid SBC in the truck.. Hell the truck has a hood on it like anybody will see it anyway...lololololol

26. von birch

von birch

i love flatheads but you cant go wrong either way on that

27. Raven53

Raven53
    from Irwin Pa

you cant make a bad choice either way, use the y and enjoy your ride a little quicker save the flattie for a rainy day project......just saying