Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Demystifying the ol' Hood Peak

Discussion in 'Traditional Customs' started by Big A, May 1, 2013.

1. Excellent ideas & fantastic write up...I'm glad I 'peeked' at this thread!

2. tinmann

tinmann

You make me proud to share my country with you.

3. Definitely need to get this in the Tech Week for Baleigh. You are a regular rock star man.

4. manyolcars

manyolcars

Why not cut the peak filler strip to fit the 'divot', weld it in and cut out the divot?

5. merc-o-madness

merc-o-madness

i was wondering the same. looks like it worked out though. my luck wouldve been a huge caved in hood. with a peak though.

6. LabRat

LabRat

As did I .... Obedient or attentive to an excessive or servile degree.
    Or Asskisser ...

7. Nice job, not sure I would have tackled that one.

Can't wait to see this thing in person again, it's been so long.

8. Torchie

Torchie

Great job. Glad to see it done with some low tech equipment and some inginuity. And don't be ashamed of your welding.Looks fine to me.
    Tochie.

9. Gearhead Graphics

Gearhead Graphics
    from Denver Co

Yeah, welding isnt your strong point, but thats a pretty great way to come up with for the peak, looks real nice!

10. Well done ! not only a great tech piece but a funny read as well...you got the gift ! cheers, Scott.

11. Tnomoldw

Tnomoldw

:)This is good stuff :cool:thanks:D

12. autobilly

autobilly

Well laid out and definitely informative and entertaining! Good luck with Tech Week.

13. Gremlinguy

Gremlinguy

Great write up!

14. Tnomoldw

Tnomoldw

:)Good to see that Shoebox being worked on again:cool::D

15. Dane

Dane
    from Soquel, CA

Looks good! Nice work. :cool:

I think you stole the graphics from a Star Wars movie that had a vintage Falcon in it... :D

[​IMG]

16. Tnomoldw

Tnomoldw

:)When that car was 3 years old there was a guy near my town who started a Kustom body shop. He was required to fill the deep indent in the hood. He did so using lead . There was a problem raising the hood. Seems it gained about 100 lbs. It looked good along with some other mods. The car was very cool. One day disaster struck. While being driven at a high rate of speed the hood unlatched, wrapped itself over the top of the car and turned inside out. The noted thing about that is ,the strip of lead, 2 inches wide and an inch deep didn't crack ,break and didn't come loose anywhere on the hood. :eek::cool:

17. bgbdlinc

bgbdlinc

...great thread....all that brain busting (sleepless nights) pays off. Threads like this give hope to novice hackers like me.....when did you say the garage crawl was happening? hahaha

18. 33sporttruck

33sporttruck

Not only do you have a super nice hood peak but you have also proven a well known fact. " IT TAKES A REAL MAN TO CUT ONE UP !!! " Great Thread.......... Jeff

19. Jeff Norwell

Jeff Norwell
    Staff Member

Awesome Andrew...awesome.

20. CanUFelix

CanUFelix
    from venice CA

Awesome write up man, best tech thread I've read in ages. It's great to see something written for my level of equipment and skill. Nice job brother! Oh, and the finished result looks killer.

21. Da Tinman

Da Tinman

Excellent! Rocks, Sticks and Fire with high tech graphics.

The finished product is gonna look great and a well done write up!

22. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

Damn! That was one of the most entertaining tech write ups I have read in long time! And, even better to be able to comment on this right after Da Tinman, whose tech pieces like "Making a glove box lid with fire and sticks" and "High speed brake bleeder" have been favorite for the very same reasons. Super well done and a well earned gold star dude!

23. Brilliant, very entertaining and it gives a knuckle head like me some hope of doing this sort of stuff!

24. Tnomoldw

Tnomoldw

:)Keep up the good stuff ,can't wait to see the next installment.:cool::D

25. Never seen anyone attempt it this way, and it seems like it would be harder to achieve a nice transition around the nose, since the divot does not continue past the initial curve. Would still have to cut that area to bring the peak around where I wanted it. Also, a wider strip helped to keep the heat from building up. I could weld on both sides without worrying too much about the heat I just applied to the other side.

Thanks for the positive comments gents. I need a little motivation on this car these days, struggling to stick with it. This will give me a good boot in the ass.

26. Oh yeah, my El Cheapo™ auto-darkening helmet died right when I started this job, so I did all that crappy welding with one of the hand-held shields that come free in specially marked boxes of Frosted Sugar Bombs™. What a pain in the ass. I'm saving my shekels for a new—good—helmet.

27. Tnomoldw

Tnomoldw

:)You definitely made a big splash here ,stick with it .:cool:The weather is now on your side .:D

28. Racrdad

Racrdad

Excellent thread and commentary!

29. 340HilbornDuster

340HilbornDuster
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Awesome work!!!Thanks for the "how to" post! This is HAMB!
    It takes a REAL MAN to cut up a nice hood like that!

...Makes me wanna peak something.

T