Register now to get rid of these ads!

Delivery turned into Camper?

Discussion in 'The Antiquated' started by Bobby G, Sep 3, 2022.

1. Bobby G

Bobby G
    from Detroit

So Ive had this 1939 Panel Delivery from my father for about 15years, and Im finding myself in need of a camper van- well actually two- one for the family, more like those Mercedes Sprinter 4x4s, and one more drivable one I can drive around town back in CA and sleep in a pinch, maybe with a few creature comforts.

Someone suggested I use my Panel Delivery for that and I think its a great idea. But, other than a few who have used their panel/sedan deliveries/wagons to sleep in, I cant seem ro find anyone whos done an actual “conversion” to some stuff youd find in a VW Bus surfwagon. Has anyone seen or tried that here?

Also looking for info in installing roof surf/cargo rack. Pics are of the Panel Delivery I have.

Attached Files:

2. Latigo

Latigo

I’ve never done it but why not. Coolest rig in the campground.

3. squirrel

squirrel

First, some grammar policing....there were two types of vehicles made then, both sort of similar, but different, and with different names:

Panel Truck, which you have. Based on a truck.

Sedan Delivery, which you don't have. Based on a car.

If you call your Panel Truck a Panel Delivery, we'll all get confused about what you have.

Now, for the conversion...how much room is in there? What do you need to fit in it? You might find that it's gonna be real tight, or else you'll have to give up some of the creature comforts you desire. We can't answer these questions for you, but you can.

4. Get a nice screened in easy up.
    Use the panel to store gear. Set up the easy up, air up mattress in the delivery. A portable AC would help.
    Enjoy

rod1, Okie Pete and VANDENPLAS like this.

5. Kerrynzl

Kerrynzl

Get yourself a vintage travel trailer ["Caravan"] and restore that.
    And tow it behind your Panel Truck.

A resto of a travel trailer would cost the same [or less] than a camper conversion.
    And it leaves you with a perfectly usable vehicle for excursions on your vacation.

Campers are for those who are on the road all the time, but if you "put down roots" for a few days you are better off with a travel trailer.[nothing is worse than packing up the camper just pop into town]

You can always put a bed/mattress in the back of the Panel Truck as a spare bedroom.

Here's one done in NZ [I believe the donor was a 1970's oxford made to look retro]
    upload_2022-9-4_16-55-40.png

The interior
    upload_2022-9-4_16-57-19.png

When your plans change you can always sell one or the other.

Last edited: Sep 4, 2022
  6. Holly cow, thats a nice van :cool::cool:. Whats it doing in the "antiquated "section :confused: ?

7. Kerrynzl

Kerrynzl

Amazing what a "lick of paint" combined with good taste can do.

It would've started out like this [below]
    upload_2022-9-4_21-47-8.png

8. G'day Kerry, Well actually i meant Bobby Gs white Ford Panel Truck :oops: but your example ain,t to shabby either :D:cool:

hrm2k likes this.
  9. wicarnut

wicarnut

Just a suggestion, rent a camper type van, try out camping with family/kids to see what it's about, next step would be, rent a trailer, then a motor home. 70's I had a pickup / truck camper hauled midget/open trailer all over, a convenience with 3 small children, camped at campgrounds, when timing worked out, the kids enjoyed this, I would sleep outside in a screen tent, cannot have 2 adults/3 small children in truck camper. 80's had a conversion van with table/ bed in back, same deal, towed Midget all over, I would sleep in waysides occasionally if kids stayed home or just switched drivers and kept on the road, motels are/were the ticket for us. For what mobile motels cost (campers/motor homes) you can stay in a lot of motels with all the amenities. For you alone, throw a mattress in back of what you have, see how you like it, I see guys alone at big shows roughing it camping. I have taken in a lot of our beautiful country traveling on the road, back in the day when every place/ destination was not so busy, not as pricey. AS for your panel shown, IMO, way too small for much of a camper conversion , Kool looking delivery, Nice ! Enjoy and Good Luck with your new family adventures.

Kerrynzl and anthony myrick like this.
  10. Got a buddy with an early 90’s vw van / camper conversion .

No roof extension , but it has a bed across the back doors that extended into the back -forward to the front seats ( kind of like a futon or pull out couch, hope this makes sense) behind the bed when you open the doors is storage . And down the left side is a kitchen set up , behind the passenger front seat is a small fridge .

tiny , compact , but he’s put hundreds of thousands of miles in this thing all over north and South America touring around . Says it’s comfy enough and does what he needs to.

If you want to keep it more of a truck and storage , then maybe shelves , cabinets behind the front seats and kind of a military style fold down cot with an air mattress down one side ?

when you need to haul stuff you can and when it’s bed time you got a spot to lay your melon ?

Up to you what you need for creature comforts and how far you want to go ($$$)

11. hotrodjack33

hotrodjack33
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I gotta disagree. The OP has it right...it's a Panel Delivery.

SEDAN DELIVERY: based on a passenger car with one rear door (except early '40s Mopars have 2). 0.47.jpg

PANEL DELIVERY: based on a 1/2 ton (or lighter) truck, with 2 rear doors.
    0.48.jpg

PANEL TRUCK: based on a 3/4 ton or heavier truck
    0.48.jpg 0.49.jpg

Confusing is that these last 2 fall into the Panel Truck category, but also are referred to as Step Vans. 0.47.jpg 0.46.jpg

Last edited: Sep 11, 2022
  12. squirrel

squirrel

Yeah, I guess we should look at what Ford had to say. They weren't real specific, actually...they never mentioned a panel truck, at all.

both.jpg delivery.jpg panel 134.jpg

Attached Files:

13. hotrodjack33

hotrodjack33
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Chevrolet was a little more specific.
    0.49.jpg 0.49.jpg