Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Delco Finned Coil Question

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by TagMan, Mar 31, 2014.

1. TagMan

TagMan
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I came across a 6v Delco finned aluminum coil and decided to puncture the top, heat the bottom & empty it out and insert a modern 12v coil. I read some old posts and they talked about epoxying the new coil in and I had a couple of questions:

1. Once the new coil is epoxied in, I assume it's not going anywhere Then, in the event of failure, do you then just toss the whole assembly if you need to change the coil?

2. Would the epoxy insulate the coil, keeping it hot and eventually causing premature failure?

Thanks for your input,
    -Bob

2. I would just use some silicone so it can be removed if needed.

3. I used some self adhesive weatherstrip tape, ran a couple rings around the top & bottom. The tape will compress allowing you to insert the coil, then expand to a snug fit. You could then run a bead of silicone around the top if need be, I just set the tape so it would flush out with the top of the finned housing. Worked for me, looks good

4. Since you've already gutted the coil this may make no differences to you.... but, I've used six volt coils on twelve volt cars and vice-versa. Couldn't see any difference in the way they ran either.